Complaint Review: Suburban Propane

• Submitted: Fri, January 20, 2012
  • Updated: Fri, January 20, 2012

• Reported By: Jon — Ellenville New York U.S.A.
Suburban Propane
240 Route 10 West Whippany, New Jersey United States of America

Suburban Propane price gouging customers in NY Whippany, New Jersey

I was just informed today, January 20, 2012 that since my propane consumption is less than "typical" of 1100 gallons or more annually, I MUST pay $5.649/gal as opposed to $3.107/gal which is 55% higher than the going rate! I was informed by the customer service agent that my price is based on usage????  What does this mean exactly??  The more I use the less I pay?  Since when does usage save dollars with respect to any home utility?? If that were the case, I would be paying pennies for gasoline for the car, my electric bill would NOT be ridiculously high nor would I have to spend through the nose to get home heating oil.   This "penalty" for low usage is absurd.  I was also informed that if I did not pay for the 24 gallons delivered most recently, they would "lock" my tank.  Additionally, I would be charged $79.99 "unlock" fee.

Have a look at the link below...As of MAY 17, 2010, a class action law suit  was filed against Suburban Propane charging them with "violations of New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania consumer law, seeks triple damages on overcharges going back to May 2004, plus attorneys' fees and civil penalties.  In addition to overcharging customers, the suit claims Suburban larded bills with unwarranted fees and made it difficult and expensive for customers to switch suppliers."

Evidently, they have NOT learned their lesson...maybe a second class action suit is in order???

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/20/2012 08:09 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Suburban-Propane/Whippany-New-Jersey-07981-0206/Suburban-Propane-price-gouging-customers-in-NY-Whippany-New-Jersey-825635. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Suburban Propane