Complaint Review: Suburban Propane

• Updated: Mon, October 22, 2012

• Reported By: Luckyme — Nicholasville Kentucky United States of America
Suburban Propane
1320 S. Main St. Whippany, New Jersey United States of America

Suburban Propane Such poor customer service, and attempt to rip off a good customer. Whippany, New Jersey

I had a home built about 6 years ago, and purchased a 250 gallon propane tank from Suburban Propane to be buried in our yard. We only used propane for a dual fuel range and 2 gas fireplaces, so usage would not be high. We have had the tank filled by Suburban a couple times, and paid them promptly.

We decided to switch to tankless hot water, by propane, so that usage would increase substantially. I called Suburban and they priced propane at $4.849/gallon. Ridiculous. I question the price, and was told it was due to our volume. I explained that would change now, but they would not budge. So I informed them that since we owned the tank, to cancel us as a customer, and do not fill our tank.

A few days later, I have a bill for a fill at $4.849/gal. as they came anyway. I called them, which you can't reach your local office ever, due to a "Unusually high call volume" every time you call them. I got transferred to a 513 area code (Ohio) location. I was advised that it was a mistake on Suburban's side. When I explained that I was quoted $2.09/gal. from another local company, and I would be happy to pay Suburban the fair market price for the propane already in my buried tank, they said they needed to discuss with a manager. I had several conversations about the situation, and was always pleasant and considerate with the representatives.

I was called back and informed they would be coming back out to our home, and pumping out the gas they put in. I found that to be absurd, and voiced my discontent, as I had already called the other company to cancel their delivery. It did not matter, they would pump it out anyway.

It is my opinion that Suburban Propane takes advantage of people, thinking they will just pay whatever they charge. Their prices are absurd, unless maybe you are a heavy user. I strongly recommend not using Suburban Propane, as their service and directives are not customer friendly.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/22/2012 10:01 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Suburban-Propane/Whippany-New-Jersey-07981/Suburban-Propane-Such-poor-customer-service-and-attempt-to-rip-off-a-good-customer-Whip-958244. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Suburban Propane