Complaint Review: Suburban Propane

• Updated: Sat, December 03, 2011

• Reported By: tamara — perkasie Pennsylvania United States of America
Suburban Propane
PO Box J whippany, New Jersey United States of America

Suburban Propane RIP OFF/THIEVES/CHARGING FOR UNORDERED GAS whippany, New Jersey

In the spring of 2011, we used the last of our propane. Since Suburban Propane occassionally filled our tank without us calling, (even though we were not on automatic delivery) my husband called them and told them we do not want the tank filled due to the fact that we are in the process of selling our home.  In October 2011, we had not sold our house so we called Suburban Propane and asked them to fill our tank.  They told me that the tank was already filled and they put a lock on it so we would be unable to get to the gas.  I asked them why the tank was filled and locked and they told me it was for the new home buyer and they would bill them at 5.99 a gallon when they moved in.  I explained to them that we did not sell our home yet and we would like to use our propane tank and I was not paying 5.99 a gallon.  They told me since I was such a good customer they would give the gas to me for 3.99 a gallon but I would have to pay to have my tank unlocked. I asked them how much this would be and they told me it would be 150.00 on their off hours, and 99.00 from the hours of 10am to 2pm.  I explained to them I cannot afford to pay 150.00 and I could not get out of work between the hours of 10am to 2pm.  They told me they would only charged me 99.00.  I made an appointment for them to unlock the tank.  After thinking about it, I did not think it was fair for them to charge me for unlocking the tank when I did not ask them to lock it.  I called back and told them I did not want them to unlock the tank, I just wanted them to remove the tank from my property along with the gas that I never ordered and I would like the 100.00 down payment for the tank returned.  They removed the tank a week later and sent me a bill for the gas that I never ordered.  This company is nothing but a scam.  They try to rip people off by varying the prices of their propane according to your useage or the mood they are in at the moment.  They had no right to automatically assume the new buyer would even have a propane fire place, (I plan on taking mine with me) and they filled the tank and locked it for them and were going to charge them as soon as they moved in for someting they did not even request.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/03/2011 05:54 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Suburban-Propane/whippany-New-Jersey-07981/Suburban-Propane-RIP-OFFTHIEVESCHARGING-FOR-UNORDERED-GAS-whippany-New-Jersey-804462. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Suburban Propane