Complaint Review: Subway

• Updated: Wed, April 04, 2012

• Reported By: WandaG — Decatur Alabama United States of America
Subway
2210 Danville Road SW, Decatur, Alabama 35601 Internet United States of America

Subway Danville Road SW, Decatur, AL 35601 Rob, Night Manager, Clerk #17 "Your Order is TOO BIG for the Drive Thru, You Must Come inside"! Internet

*Consumer Comment: We all have moments like this.....

*Consumer Comment: Will be apologizing all night at this rate

*Consumer Comment: I apologize

*Consumer Comment: Cool now?

*Consumer Comment: Anony

*Consumer Comment: Huh?

*Consumer Comment: Your mom said you were obsessed.

*Consumer Comment: Dear Inspector

*Consumer Comment: Inspector is still clueless

*Consumer Comment: You need to stop this Tagurit!

*Consumer Comment: A mile in 8 minutes?

*Consumer Comment: Inspector still needs to buy some more clues - from Robert perhaps

*Consumer Comment: Good point Robert

*Consumer Comment: Good point Robert

*Consumer Comment: I wonder if being an insensitve moron qualifies as a "disability".

*Consumer Comment: Really?

*Consumer Comment: Geez

*Consumer Comment: Next time go inside and order.

*Consumer Suggestion: Dispute it with your credit card company

A typical mom, Myself, goes to Subway to Pick up Family take out for Dinner!! The First Shocker! "Your Order is Too Big to be taken at the Drive Through Window you must come inside", Clerk #17 tells me, after I had waited patiently, behind Decatur City Police Car's Order to be completed, About 15 minutes I had already been waiting, with the Motor running, waiting for My turn to advance in line.

I said, "Your kidding me right? Two Footlong Subs for the Adults and 3 Six Inch Subs for the kids, No Drinks, No Chips, No Cookies, is too big of an order at the Drive Through?? Any typical American Family, has 2 Adults and 2.5 American Kids usually, I said, What kind of people usually order at the drive through? I was thinking to myself.  As I looked at my 15 year old in dis-belief.  I am Disabled, and I certainly knew I did not feel like coming inside and standing for the however long it would take to  order and make the sandwiches, if I had felt like standing up for that long, I would have stood for that long in my kitchen and cooked a meal for my family,  that is why I decided to get fast food take out at the drive through in the first place.  Like most Moms and Dads, too tired after a long Monday Work and School Day, and oh by the way, did I mention, I am disabled.

So I ask Clerk No#17, well can I place my order at the drive through and come back and pick it up, because I do have a errand I could run and come back. I don't know let me ask Rob my manager, Yes Rob said that will be fine. Clerk#17 takes my complete order at window, asking me to repeat myself several times, and then finally reads it back to me.  And then he says," You have to pay for this now or we can not fix this order".  Huh, uh Ok I said and pay for the 5 sandwiches only, no drinks or chips or cookies for a total of $31.34 on my credit card.  I leave and return to pick up the sandwiches.

Upon returning to the drive through to pick up my sandwiches, I was told, he did not think I was going to come back to get the sandwiches?  I said, I paid for them why wouldn't I come back to get them, you told me to come back in 15 to 30 minutes, I came back in 30 minutes.  He said, Oh ok here you go.  I took the small bag of sandwiches immediatly and headed for home.

When I get home, everyone took out their sandwiches and one by one said hey this is not what we ordered.  I looked at their sandwiches and in dis-belief, none of the sandwiches had been made as I had ordered them, and they were all cold and soggy, and most of them meat only, except for one that had some lettuce and pickle that I could tell.  I was tired, hungry and Livid at this point.

I immediatly called Subway store and ask to speak to the Manager, and I was quickly told, I was speaking to the night manager Rob.  I first ask him, why was 2 footlong and 3 six-inch subs too much or above the limit that could be ordered at the drive through.  He told me they do not have a limit at the drive through.  I explained that I had just been told that I had to come inside that my order was too big to be handled at the drive through.  And that I ordered the food at the drive through and came back to pick it up, drove home only to find it was not what I had ordered.  I was told that the only thing he could do was remake the sandwiches for me, and he ask me what I had ordered and what was wrong with them, after explaining what I had ordered and what I got, he told me to come back to the store and re-order at the drive through and he would re-make the sandwiches for me.

I then in dis-belief again, asked, Did you just say, I have to come back and order the same sandwiches, I just ordered again from you,  I have to wait in line and re-peat and order and wait once again for you to replace my sandwiches?  He said yes, he did not write down anything I said, because he was busy making an order, but yet, told me he was looking at the tickets of my order, as I was explaining how the order was wrong, and even told me that  there was just a mis-communication between me and the clerk#17, because that was not what was on the ticket order.  I said fine I am on my way for my new sandwiches.

I get to the Subway and the doors are locked to go inside to order, I was motioned by the person inside to go to the drive through.  I get to the drive through, open up the bag of sandwiches, (or what was left of them) My husband had already ate his before telling me it was wrong, because at this point he had been waiting for his fast food take out meal for an hour and a half.  My little girl did not complain and started eating hers so she could get ready for bed for school.  So I did not have all of the 5 sandwiches only 3 and 1/2 of them left to show the Manager for replacement.  I was told by the manager, I had to give him the bag and all the sandwiches or he could not re-make them for me.  I said how am I suppose to do that, get my husband to come up here and throw it up for you? He said if I did not give him the bag, sandwiches and receipt he could not give me the sandwiches.

I told him I would not give him the evidence of the Now, including gas, for 3 trips to the Subway Sandwich shop FAST FOOD Restraunt, I am out about $45.00 for Sandwiches, that were at this point totally un-edible, and can not be recovered for.  I told him I would be taking it to the owner of the store whom I have met in a social setting several times.  But instead, I have decided to contact, you fine folks, to let you know, how Subway Franchise Owners operate here in Decatur Alabama.

And on one other note, the errand I had to run was for Toilet Paper at the WalMart Store here in Decatur, Alabama.  There is a Subway Sandwich Shop in WalMart here.  The reason I did not go to the SubWay in WalMart Store, is because  it is so nasty most of the time, and you will never get friendly or courteous service at that SubWay, just about anyone will tell you that here in Decatur, Alabama.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/05/2012 11:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Subway/internet/Subway-Danville-Road-SW-Decatur-AL-35601-Rob-Night-Manager-Clerk-17-Your-Order-is-849300. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Subway

We all have moments like this.....

AUTHOR: Twintowers4ever - (USA)

My suggestion would've been to simply go to another Subway, or call another Subway and have them make it ahead in time for you. Because you can do that. Because we're all going to experience rip-offs and idiotic services in all points of our life. No matter where, Subway, McDonalds or anywhere. I remember once I payed with a $20 bill at McDonalds in Califronia, and didn't get back all of the change. The employee told me, "You payed $10 hun." The stupid manager didn't even want to talk about it.

You should have not went back. Just go to another Subway. There's a lot of them everywhere else.

Will be apologizing all night at this rate

AUTHOR: Tagurit - (USA)

I'm on a roll here and will be apologizing to Moose for snarfing his handle this evening.  Inspector - a bit of background.  Moose and I know each other, not formally, via another scam thread and are working on taking another scammer down on yet another thread.  Just an FYI - I am a not a dude.   He asked me to post something under his handle on the other thread RE a computer company called Computechnologiesinc - I gather he is working with another attorney he knows to find this guy.   Apparently you can do this without changing your actual login on RoR - probably something they should fix. Sorry I don't have his actual handle on this board just his email so I can reach him if I need.  I'm sure he'll check back here though and will appreciate your earlier post.

I apologize

AUTHOR: Anony Moose - (United States of America)

And Inspector in case I didn't say it before I apologize for going off on you.  Like I said if I'm wrong I'll own up to it.  Reason I went off like I did gets back to my friend in legal the one who is disabled courtesy of a drunk driver.  She works for a living and is fortunate she has a desk job and an understanding employer.  And, I know EXACTLY what you mean about the Wal-Mart thing.  She needs a special walker just to walk around.   On more than one occaision she has gone to the store only to see the handicapped spaces taken by some teenager driving auntie or grandma's car with a placard hanging off the mirror.  She actually has handicapped plates and half the time can't even find a parking space.  So I end up driving her when I can.  Then there is the exact situation you described once we're in the store.  Big difference with someone who is slightly uncomfortable walking around because they are overweight versus her situation where she can't even walk without help.  It infuriates me.  So hopefully you understand the reason I went off is that it looked like you were talking about people like my friend and she is nothing like that.  It does seem the ones that "wave" the disabled card around like a flag are ususally the ones that don't have the real problems.  My friend hardly every complains but then she has a lot more patience than I do.  Peace dude.

Cool now?

AUTHOR: Tagurit - (USA)

Hey dude, thanks for the explaination to the other poster.   At least now I have some context for the remark which I now understand.  Anyway you are kinda fun to spare with.  '-)   No offense OK?

Anony

AUTHOR: Inspector - (USA)

My condolences, my comment was not directed toward you or others like you.  I too am disabled but do not wear it as a right to passage in life as in the OP's case.  I also took care of my older brother also disabled, until he died of his disabilities four years ago.

I have personaly seen those that claim a disability (and are not truly disabled) and expect others to react to it with charity or special treatment.  These people disgust me and I will not hide my revulsion toward them.  It has been my experience that most disabled poeple (and I know many) have a quiet dignity about them) don't expect any special treatment nor want it.

I am also a member of the DAV (Disabled American Veterans) and a benefactor.  I address this only to you since I solicit no respect, which, I truly believe is reciprical, to Tagurit.  His pontification on how disabled people should be treated by non disabled people is way off the mark.

A disabled friend of mine and I went to Walmart one day and could not get one of those motorized carts, as we were going up and down the aisles we saw many of the carts being utilized by overweight people, my friend did not say a word but I felt different toward them.

I salute you in that you are not a burden on society but some are due to their own actions.  I continue to work as an inspector for the DOD but unfortunatly will have to cease in the next year or two depending on my progress.

If you are one of those with quiet dignity then I am sorry I offended you.

Huh?

AUTHOR: Tagurit - (USA)

Actually no one else on this thread much less the entirety of RoR knows what the hell you are talking about because apparently you are even more delusional than Charles.  Must be some good s**t youre smoking/huffing there Inspector Gadget.

Your mom said you were obsessed.

AUTHOR: Inspector - (USA)

You must quit stalking me, I said NO!  Now go play with ole blue (he needs a walk by now) and quit trying to pretend you don't know what I'm talking about.

I am not yours and never will be so move on and get some closure.

Dear Inspector

AUTHOR: Anony Moose - (United States of America)

I had to retire early at 62 due to a disability, specifically degenerative bone issues in my lower back.  Ive been fortunate that the missus and I have been able to retire nicely with a paid off house close to the grandkids, two paid off cars, and money in the bank and investments. Neither of us take disability just the normal social security were both entitled to after many decades of gainful employment and paying taxes.  My point being, Inspector, those of us who are in fact disabled are not always necessarily a burden to others or to society, although granted Charles is but his situation is obvious  Bottom line, your comment was inflammatory and offensive to say the least and you should apologize. Let's move on and get back to the original intent behind the original post. It looks like Robert has addressed it already and the OP just needs to have a chat with the local manager she knows through her social circles. Done.

Inspector is still clueless

AUTHOR: Tagurit - (USA)

"You sure? Sounds like a great distance for a FAT person.   How is your breathing afterwards? A bit labored?"

Yep, just the sort of comment Id expect from someone who CANT do a mile in 8 minutes.  When was the last time you got your lazy ass off the couch?

"You must be one of those that think a disability is a free meal ticket. So tell us, other than the obvious, what is your disability?"

No, I dont think disability is a free meal ticket.  I do believe that you are incredibly insensitive to state that someone who is disabled must therefore be fat.  Way to go by insulting disabled people everywhere.   It would seem to me that I am neither disabled or fat if (1) I can do a mile in 8 minutes and (2) am gainfully employed by a Fortune 500 high tech firm making over $250K a year and on occasion over $500K a year.  Least you forget I actually posted some of my W-2s on another thread regarding Triad.  I sincerely doubt you can do the same.  Last time I checked making that kind of money would not be considered a disability.

Its unfortunate that many posters on this site choose to overplay the disability ticket and so everyone else has become jaded as a result.  We measure everyone against Charles from Phenix and considering that he has been a loser for 10 years, perhaps he is not the yardstick we should be using.  I have a friend that is disabled and she still works in legal making 80K a year and she doesnt take any money from the government AND she weighs all of about 108 lbs soaking wet.  I have another friend who is overweight (why you make big deal of that is beyond me) but she has a PhD and makes more than I do.  And, Ive never seen her on one of those motorized scooters nor have I ever seen her take any kind of government assistance.   Making such nasty comments about disabled people or overweight people is not too different than someone making racist comments.  It comes from the same kind of mentality.

I told you before when you called that I am married and not that way! Besides, I don't believe you when you said your parents will sell their trailer to pay for the wedding.

Oh geez could you be any less original?  Obviously Ive never called you since I dont have your phone # but since you offer, why dont you go ahead and post it here so we can all call you and tell you what a moron you are to your face.   And trust me someone of your intellect is hardly my type  just the thought of that- eeewwww.  I also find it amusing that you talk about trailers when the median house price in Tobyhanna is 60K.  Sorry you are so jealous that I live in a 465K house have a high paying job and drive a nice car.  But then you are hardly one to talk about standards are you.  Your prior posts below pretty much tell it all.

AUTHOR: Inspector - Tobyhanna (USA)

SUBMITTED: Tuesday, February 07, 2012

POSTED: Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Perhaps if the credit card companies stop drowning us in credit card offers they would not be in this fix .. . . .

Asfar as the rebuttal about only buying what you can afford, sound advice but not realistic since no one follows it, and where would Rob work?

Really, do I REALLY need to go on about how stupid that comment is? Why would you say that unless you have no self control when a bank shoves a credit card offer in front of your face? Not only is it the advice I posted before of not buying what you cant afford sound advice, it is in fact REALISTIC advice because MANY people seem to manage to do it every day - including me. Saying NO ONE follows it is both factually and statistically incorrect. Perhaps you yourself have a problem with to living beyond your means and spending more than you make. I wouldnt know. But, it would certainly account for the comment of assuming everyone else does. And, then there is the following post from you.

Tagurit is trifling with words.

AUTHOR: Inspector - Tobyhanna (USA)

SUBMITTED: Monday, February 13, 2012

POSTED: Monday, February 13, 2012

What's the matter, can't grasp? You have never bought anything on credit? Never had a mortgage or financed or leased an automobile? If you have, it means you probably could not pay cash up front for the item. Most people having credit problems did not have financial difficulties at first and could afford to pay at the time but, circumstances led to an inability to pay. Therefore your advice is STUPID and after the fact.

I'mdone playing with you too.

Oh geez, thats right I forgot you werent able to comprehend one of my earlier posts on the very same thread about my actually having credit cards but not carrying a balance on them because I pay them off every month. Wow what a responsible and novel idea.  Credit is a priviledge and should be managed accordingly.   That may be why I have an 832 credit score and you hang out with deadbeats who cant pay their bills.

Then we have your totally bizarre observation on this post Most of the disabled I see in the stores riding around in those motorized shopping carts are just FAT. Stop being a burden to everyone I dont remember seeing anywhere in her post where she says she is fat or that she is a burden. You are ASSUMING it. And BTW great way to go by insulting disabled people everywhere. And when I called you out for saying something so ridiculous and insensitive, how did you respond? By ASSUMING that I too was fat. Just like you ASSUMED everyone lives beyond their means, just like you ASSUMED I had no credit rating.  Just like you ASSUMED my parents live in a trailer.  Perhaps you should reconsider your Inspector handle. Such a handle implies that you actually know what you are talking about by doing research and asking questions as Robert does to flush out the truth, not making sweeping statements and ASSUMPTIONS that are based on your own limited biased and ignorant view of the world.

OK now that I have that rant off my chest how about this. How about you apologize for insulting disabled people and calling me fat and Ill apologize for calling you a moron, stupid, and an idiot.  How about it?   Are you willing to bury the hatchet or do you want to go on exchanging insults.

You need to stop this Tagurit!

AUTHOR: Inspector - (USA)

I told you before when you called that I am married and not that way!  Besides, I don't believe you when you said your parents will sell their trailer to pay for the wedding.

A mile in 8 minutes?

AUTHOR: Inspector - (USA)

You sure?  Sounds like a great distance for a FAT person.  How is your breathing afterwards?  A bit labored?
You must be one of those that think a disability is a free meal ticket.  So tell us, other than the obvious, what is your disability?

Inspector still needs to buy some more clues - from Robert perhaps

AUTHOR: Tagurit - (USA)

"The subways where I live don't even have a drive through."

So Inspector, this would be relevant to her situation or solving the problem exactly how?  Seriously who gives a sh-t if the Subways in your neck of the woods have a drive through.  This is not about YOU.

While I think she had unreasonable expectations about the condition of the sandwiches as Robert has properly pointed out, that doesnt' mean that sometimes people just want to go through the drive through because it is more convenient.  Especially if its raining out or the parking lot is crowded so it is more difficult to get back out again.  Or if they have a carload of kids.  I can think of plenty of reasons to use a drive through whether disabled or not.

Honestly Inspector, if you're going to post here at least try to put some thought into the situation as Robert has - this is the reason people pay attention to what he says.  If Robert calls me out for being wrong about something I'll man up and admit I was wrong.  But you know, this is not the first time you've made some stupid observation about me without having a clue about what you were talking about only to have it slammed back in your face as being incorrect.  BTW dude I can still do a mile in 8 min. - can you?  Go ahead and keep doing it - I really don't mind all you do is make yourself look like an idiot.

Good point Robert

AUTHOR: Tagurit - (USA)

Robert, agreed - point well taken.  Inspector did I say I was fat no I didn't because I'm not.  Try to stay on point with the facts why don't you.  I mean seriously I don't know how you could be more of a moronic asshole.

I'm NOT saying I agree with how she handled it, only that it's also clear Subway could have handled their end better as well.

Good point Robert

AUTHOR: Tagurit - (USA)

I wonder if being an insensitve moron qualifies as a "disability".

AUTHOR: Inspector - (USA)

So, that means you are FAT too?

Really?

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

and oh by the way, did I mention, I am disabled
- Yes you did...Several times.

The way you wrote your report you might as well bring out the Violin.  You are so disabled and tired from your "Monday" that you can't even stand for another 15 minutes, but have no problem driving who knows how long and go to Walmart to go shopping.  While I won't say that they were right in their actions, just based on how you wrote it you are also not totally right in your claims and I have a feeling that there is a lot of information you left out.

You complain about the sandwiches being cold and soggy.  Okay, they said to come back in 15-30 minutes.  You say you came back at 30(and I would bet a little longer).  Now, unless you live right next door to the Subway it was also probably another 15-20 minutes before you got home and set to eat.  Even if you figure they were made at 15 minutes it would have been at least 1/2 hour from the time they were made before you ate.  So just how long do you expect them to stay hot or how long should it be before the condiments start to soak into the bread?

You say you spent $31 in sandwiches, but are out $45 if you include the gas you spent in the 3 trips to Subway.  Okay that is $14 in gas and even at $4 a gallon that is about 3.5 Gallons of gas, so just how many miles out of the way did you go in your tired state?

Oh and to Tag.  Why should she write a letter to Subway?  Didn't you read the part of her report where she knows the owner and have met them in a social setting.  I think the next time she meets the owner she should bring this to their attention.  Let them know that instead of talking to them first she decided to blast them on a Public forum not even giving them a chance to make it right.  Hopefully she will even suggest that the store owner posts their response here, after all I am sure that the OP wants to be totally fair and let them respond to her claims in the same way she posted them.

Geez

AUTHOR: Tagurit - (USA)

"Most of the the disabled I see in the stores riding around in those motorized shopping carts are just FAT.

Stop being a burden to everyone"

I see so because "most" of the disabled people you see are just FAT and in your opinion a burden to everyone, you have therefore deduced through your superpowers that she must be also.  Really?  Wow!

I wonder if being an insensitve moron qualifies as a "disability".

Next time go inside and order.

AUTHOR: Inspector - (USA)

And the "Im disabled" has been played out.  Most of the the disabled I see in the stores riding around in those motorized shopping carts are just FAT.

Stop being a burden to everyone and relax, see even you hubby and child would just prefer to eat the sandwich than make a big deal about it.  Go inside and order and that way you can watch them make it.  The subways where I live don't even have a drive through.

#19 Consumer Suggestion

Dispute it with your credit card company

AUTHOR: Tagurit - (USA)

Wow.  Well not sure if I were you that I would have gone away for 30 minutes as that definitely would have been the cause of the soggy sandwiches.  However, having such a small limit on orders at the window when you are paying for them is silly or just weird not sure which.

In any event you have a way to resolve this by filing a dispute with your credit card company.   When they send you the dispute form simply state you did not receive the merchandise in the condition you paid for.   Attach copy of your complaint from this report if needed.  Lastly, if you really want to drive your point home write a letter to Subway complaining about this particular store.  They may be a franchise so the store may be actually owned by someone else but the corporate HQ will at least bring this to the attention of the store owner as they do not want such bad publicity.  Frankly I think they were stupid to treat you the way they did.  The bad press alone is worth far more than whatever they charged you for the sandwiches.