Complaint Review: Summitt Energy

• Submitted: Thu, February 21, 2013
  • Updated: Thu, February 21, 2013

• Reported By: Anonymous — Richmond Ontario Canada
Summitt Energy
100 Milverton Dr, Mississauga, ON L5R 4H1 Mississauga, Ontario United States of America

Summitt Energy is the Ultimate Ripoff Scam in the History of Ripoffs. Mississauga, Ontario

This company came to my door about 2 years ago claiming they were with Enbridge Gas and they were there to inspect my gas pipes. They claimed that my pipes were unsafe and at any point we could incur a fire or even worse an explosion. This of course scared us and we allowed them to upgrade the pipes in our home and with that of course they said the current Gas Hot Water Tank we had was not longer at code and they would replace it at no cost to us and return it to Direct Energy. We allowed them to do all of this with the understanding they were part of Enbridge Gas... We are in the rural part of the city and most people around are on well water but in the 10 plus years we have been in the house we have never had an issue of an odor on our water but within 2-3 week of them replacing the Hot water Tank the smell was aweful... like rotten eggs.. I came to find out it was sulfur and it was due to a rod in the hot water tank called the ionized rod which apparently attracts the sediment to it to prolong the life of the Tank... this rod can be removed and it will stop the odor. We called Enbridge Gas to ask that they come to remove the rod only to find out they were NOT associated with this company.. first warning... we then called Summitt and asked them to come to remove it... they came... they left ... the guy said the top of the tank was stripped and he couldn't open it to take it out... and he would come back.. he never did so we called angain and a second guy came about 6 months later... still the same result... he could not get the tank open to remove it....We asked Summitt if the tank could be replaced with a new one and they wouldn't do it. Said basically too bad so sad... I called again about 3 months ago and asked how long we had signed with them because we wanted to purchase our own Tank so we could remove the Ionized Rod because the odor was unbearable.. the person I spoke with on the phone said that we were not on a contract and we could cancel at any time... GREAT! Well just 2 days ago I called to ask them to come and get the tank because we had installed a new one and they then proceeded to tell me that we would have to pay a $350 cancellation fee!! OUTRAGEOUS!! Plus another $200 to come and pick up the Tank!! AND If they deamed that there was damage on to the Tank it could be upwards of another $400!! THIS COMPANY IS NOTHING BUT A MAJOR SCAM TO SCARE CONSUMERS INTO THINKING THEIR HOUSE IS GOING TO EXPLODE SO THEY CAN GET IN THE DOOR AND SCREW YOU OVER IF YOU EVER TRY TO GET AWAY FROM THEM.  I have told them I will not pay and if anyone out there knows how to report this company and get them investigated for these thing please let me know.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/21/2013 01:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Summitt-Energy/Mississauga-Ontario-L5R-4H1/Summitt-Energy-is-the-Ultimate-Ripoff-Scam-in-the-History-of-Ripoffs-Mississauga-Ontar-1018068. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Summitt Energy