Complaint Review: SunTrust Mortgage

• Updated: Mon, May 23, 2011

• Reported By: PK — Atlanta Georgia United States of America
SunTrust Mortgage
901 Semmes Avenue Richmond, Virginia United States of America

SunTrust Mortgage puts me in collections for paying extra on my mortgage! Richmond, Virginia

I just bought a house and was happy to have SunTrust service my loan. Big mistake.

Two days before the first of the month, I paid online.  Mind you, I'm paying from a SunTrust bank.

SunTrust Mortgage will NOT take electric payment. The bank had to cut a check. The check went missing.

12 days later, I went to my local branch. The branch put a "stop payment" on the missing paper check, and I paid again.

This time, I made my regular payment and about $300 extra toward my principal.  I was told it would post overnight.

Wrong!

Here's how badly SunTrust screwed this up:

1) They deposited the first check the same day I put a stop-payment on it.

2) My payment did NOT post overnight. I found out later that, yet AGAIN, the bank had to send a paper check to it's own subsidiary, SunTrust mortgage, rather than sending the payment electronically.

3 days after this, I talked with SunTrust mortgage by phone. They assured me payment #1 would be reversed, and payment #2 would be applied.

Wrong, yet again!

I've since received three statements from SunTrust. The first accepted both payments. The second accepted the original check (the cancelled one) but not the second check, and to top it off?

The third letter from SunTrust says my payment of $312.20 (the extra principal payment)
is not enough to cover my mortgage, it has been put "in suspense" and my case has been sent to the collections department.

Unbelievable! and this is just the FIRST MONTH that I've had this mortgage. Who knows what's next.

The only way I can pay electronically is to let these people have access to my checking account. If I won't let them into my checking account, I have to pay with a paper check and hope they get it right.

I've had accounts with Bank of America, Chase, CitiMortgage and have never ever had a problem.

If you want a convenient way to make your mortgage payment with no hassles, DO NOT CHOOSE SUNTRUST MORTGAGE!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/23/2011 10:28 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/SunTrust-Mortgage/Richmond-Virginia-23224/SunTrust-Mortgage-puts-me-in-collections-for-paying-extra-on-my-mortgage-Richmond-Virgi-732167. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on SunTrust Mortgage