Complaint Review: Sunny Days Havanese

• Submitted: Wed, February 08, 2012
  • Updated: Tue, September 18, 2012

• Reported By: Theresa — Antioch Tennessee United States of America
Sunny Days Havanese
2132 NW 20th Pl, Cape Coral, FL 33993 Cape Coral, Florida United States of America

Sunny Days Havanese Laura Strecky, breeder sold Havanese puppy with hereditary disease, she refuese to pay Cape Coral, Florida

*Consumer Comment: Just terrible....

*Consumer Comment: Enforce it

*Consumer Comment: Breeder

*General Comment: Legg-Calve-Perthes (LCP)

*Author of original report: Rebuttal to original complaint

*General Comment: breeder

I purchased a Havanese puppy from Laura Strecky in Sept. 2009. I thought she was great breeder by letting me come to her home and visit with the puppy before I was able to bring her home. She was also agreeable to letting me make payments on the purchase of the puppy. Boy, was a wrong about her character.

After having the puppy for few months I noticed she was favoring her right leg and wasn't putting full weight on it. I thought she possibly hurt herself while playing. I monitored her for a couple of weeks and the condition only got worse. I took her to my vet and had X-rays taken at that time.

The vet diagnosed her with Legg Perthes, a hereditary disease. I was informed that she would need to have surgery or the condition would get worse and she possibly could become lame in that leg. Since Florida has a pet lemon law, my vet immediately wrote a letter to the breeder explaining the situation and her responsibility as a breeder. [continued below]....
..... When I arrived home I emailed the letter to Laura and then called her.

Laura agreed to return my purchase price for the puppy but asked if she could make payments. I was more than willing to do that since she let me do the same for the purchase of the puppy. After three months of promises to pay I finally sent her an email informing her that I would no longer take payments and needed my money since I had to pay for the surgery. I informed her in the email that she had two weeks to pay the $850 she owed me or I was going to take her to court.

I received no money or any other emails from her after that so I had no choice but to take her to court. In Oct. 2010 we were scheduled to go to court. LAURA DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER TO SHOW UP!!! I was so angry that she couldn't be bothered to face her responsibility. The judge heard my case and my evidence without her. Because I was angry I asked the judge to grant the cost of my X-rays as well, another $385 and she granted it.

Now, more than a year later I am still waiting for my refund of the puppy, cost of X-rays and court costs to the tune of $1,460. As you can see from the photo, I won my court case and don't know how to get my money other than letting others know that Laura is NOT the nice breeder she portrays.

My dog is getting along very well, even though her right leg is a half inch shorter than her other legs. I wanted to train her in agility, but that's not possible because she cannot jump very high.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I can get my money? The only thing that I can hope is that she realizes she should pay or I will continue to tell everyone what kind of breeder she is. If she can't pay me, then I can hurt her in her pocket.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/08/2012 10:59 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sunny-Days-Havanese/Cape-Coral-Florida-33993/Sunny-Days-Havanese-Laura-Strecky-breeder-sold-Havanese-puppy-with-hereditary-disease-sh-835916. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sunny Days Havanese

Just terrible....

AUTHOR: Arizona t - (U.S.A.)

That is a hereditary disease.....and from what I understand the parents could be prescreened, but that would not prevent a puppy from developing it.  I think it is  unfair to sue your breeder.  It is one thing if she sold you a sick puppy that was raised poorly, but you don't say that.    She was good to you and sold you a puppy in good faith and you turned around and sued her for the action of mother nature and then you spread her name out on the internet?  Unless her contract covered this...I think you should leave her alone.  You have put her information on the information for anyone to find...including me and I only stumbled across this by accident while looking for something completely different.   How sad.  I bought a dog and found out when she was 2 that she had legg perthe and never in a million years would I sue her breeder; I assumed her care when I purchased her and it is my responsibility.  Getting a puppy is like having a baby...you don't know what mother nature will give you.  If  a condition like this was important to you, did you even ask her if the parents were screened BEFORE buying the dog?   A well bred havanese (that could have legge-perthe) is not cheap.  It could happen to any breeder.  You had a contract and a health guarantee...that is what you should have stuck with and honored.  If you had one, if not...then you should suck it up.  At most let the breeder know about it, then she could assess her breeding program.  So many questions cross my mind right now....but lemon law should be to protect buyers from breeders that are truly unscrupulous...selling very ill puppies.  Not acts of mother nature.  So appallled.

Enforce it

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

You need to enforce your judgment. A judgment does not force someone to pay unless you go to court to make them pay. Here's some tips:

You will need to serve her with an examination of assets. Then you can go to court and get a writ of execution or a writ of garnishment. If she has the money or assets available you can go to the sheriff's department to have the assets siezed. You may need to get a lawyer to help you with some of this.

Breeder

AUTHOR: Sophie - (United States of America)

Oh I see,so have you tried to contact her recently?(like in the past month) What I recomend you do is try to either call or email and try to book a day at a cafe or somewhere where both of you can discuss the matter in a nice environment. Then she can hopefully continue the rest of the payments.If she doesn't reply with some emails or phone calls you could even try to stop by her house and tell her about your problem incase she forgot. You can't really do much more than that because she has quit breeding a few years ago.......

#4 General Comment

Legg-Calve-Perthes (LCP)

AUTHOR: Tubie - (U.S.A.)

Legg-Calve-Perthes (LCP) is a genetic disorder in several small dog breeds.  The Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA) has a health test registry to identify dogs that do or do not have this disorder: http://offa.org/lcp_overview.html

Although Havanese are not listed as affected breeds on that page, the Havanese Club of America does list LCP as a genetic disorder: http://www.havanese.org/education/new-owners/78-havanese-health-issues

All Havanese breeders should be having their dogs checked for this disorder BEFORE they are bred.  It is as simple as having an x-ray done and can be done at the time that the dogs are being x-rayed for Hip Dysplasia (another disorder that affects the Havanese breed).

Rebuttal to original complaint

AUTHOR: Theresa - (United States of America)

You are correct, there is no way that Laura couldn't have known about the hereditary disease. That is not what I was complaining about. My issue is with the fact that under the guidelines of the Florida Pet Lemon Law she is liable for compensation of the pet due to this disease. I'm sure you wouldn't have been happy having to pay the $1,000 for a surgery for your dog with no compensation from Laura.

If you read my original complaint carefully you would have known that I offered to let her make payments since she let me make payments on the purchase of my puppy. It was only after three months of no money whatsoever that I decided to file suit. I would have been happy with any amount for a payment since I had the surgery bill to pay. All I got were promises and more promises that I would be paid.

As far as your comment for me to "just deal with my dog's leg being shorter" I have. As a matter fact, she can do just about anything that any other dog can do, only with some limitations. I had planned to train her in agility, but that's not possible because she cannot jump high enough for hurdles, etc.

#6 General Comment

breeder

AUTHOR: Sophie - (United States of America)

I got a puppy that same year but picked her up in November.She hasen't had ANY health problems and there was no way I think Laura could of known your dog had that problem.She proberly didn't have the money at the time to pay all that money at once and she proberly felt threatend the way you said that.You can't do anything now since she's stoped breeding so I guess you can just forget about it and just deal with the fact your dog's leg is slightly shorter.She may or may not pay but you can just try being nice to her and see what that does.