Complaint Review: Sunoco

• Submitted: Tue, July 29, 2008
  • Updated: Tue, July 29, 2008

• Reported By:Carleton Michigan
Sunoco
Corner Of Alexis And Jackman Toledo, Ohio U.S.A.

Sunoco Advertising one price, while charging higher price at the pump Toledo Ohio

While doing some business in Toledo, OH on July 21, 2008 at approximately 11:45 A.M. we (my husband and I) stopped to get gas. All of the stations around the area were charging $3.71. The Sunoco station located at Alexis and Jackman also had a sign saying that their price was $3.71 as well. Since the station was on the right hand side of the road, we pulled in. I went inside and paid for $40 worth of gasoline. My husband remained outside to pump the gas. When I went back out, he was already pumping the gasoline. We stood chatting, and I looked up at the pump to see how close we were to the $40 mark. At that time, I noticed that the price on the pump, (the price we were paying) was $3.73, NOT the $3.71 listed on the sign.
Another woman was pumping gas at the same time, and was just finishing up. She noticed the discrepancy as well.
An employee was sitting outside on a milk crate, smoking a cigarette. The woman asked the employee what the deal was with the price, but the employee didn't have an answer for her.
While I realize that the overall cost to me wasn't much, I still feel completely ripped off. I would have gone to one of the several other stations around had I known that the price was higher at this station. I'm sure the station made a healthy profit by ripping each and every customer off for that 2 cents per gallon.
I wrote to Sunoco headquarters, but never received a response. Apparently they don't see anything wrong with their stations ripping customers off.
My warning to all consumers: Just because the price is clearly marked, that doesn't mean that's what you are going to be paying. With the price of gasoline already so high, make sure that you are getting what you are paying for. Especially at Sunoco stations.

Linda
Carleton, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/29/2008 05:46 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sunoco/Toledo-Ohio/Sunoco-Advertising-one-price-while-charging-higher-price-at-the-pump-Toledo-Ohio-356822. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sunoco