Complaint Review: Suntrust Bank

• Submitted: Fri, August 15, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, September 11, 2008

• Reported By:Roanoke Virginia
Suntrust Bank
suntrust.com Vinton, Virginia U.S.A.
  • Phone:
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

Suntrust Bank NSF fees. Vinton Virginia

*Consumer Suggestion: The Automatic Debit Solution

*Consumer Suggestion: The Automatic Debit Solution

*Consumer Comment: If You Wish to Find Out Whose Fault This Is?

*Consumer Suggestion: A few points worth addressing...

I've banked with Suntrust for 20 + years. In the last year I have been hit with several NSF for being overdrawn. Being overdrawn is not a personal habit of mine. I have been charged $245.00 NSF this month alone. I feel its pointless to argue with the bank. I am taking my business elsewhere.

Another problem I have with Suntrust is automatic debiting. I have a scam company debiting almost $40 from my account monthly. Suntrust told me they can put a stop payment on the debit for a $35 fee but they can not guarantee that the debit will stop. If the company debiting from the account changes any information in their debit such as their company name, $$amount or even the date Suntrust is powerless to stop it. Yet they gladly let it clear when they have already caused the account to be overdrawn to collect an additional $35 NSF fee. After I had discussed this matter with them. I sent the company in question a certified letter requesting they stop debiting my account. I haven't received notification that they received the letter but they did change the name and submitted the debit 2 weeks earlier than previously.

Ruth
Roanoke, Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/15/2008 05:27 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Suntrust-Bank/Vinton-Virginia-24179/Suntrust-Bank-NSF-fees-Vinton-Virginia-363410. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Suntrust Bank

#1 Consumer Suggestion

The Automatic Debit Solution

AUTHOR: Dbellinger1986 - (U.S.A.)

I work as an Assitant Manager of a financial institution and I have been in banking for three years. The solution for the $40 monthly debit is a form called an affidavit of unauthorized ACH transactions/payments. By you completing this form your are legally saying I did not authorize these transactions. Once you complete that form the bank may issue you a convience credit while they research the transactions. The downside to this form is that they are going to/or should suggest that you close out the account that way the people that are initiating the transaction no longer have an active account number to debit. As for the bill pay problem what normally happens say with direct deposit is that if the 15th falls on a Saturday then you will be paid on Friday. With bill pay if the same 15th falls on a Saturday which is the day you automatically have set-up to pay your bills then the bank will not send the funds until the following Monday. When you set-up bill pay they suggest that you intiate your bill payments at least 5-7 days before your due date to avoid any late charges. Those are just a few suggestions I thought may benefit you.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

The Automatic Debit Solution

AUTHOR: Dbellinger1986 - (U.S.A.)

If You Wish to Find Out Whose Fault This Is?

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

....then look in a mirror. From your posting, what happened to you at this bank will happen to you elsewhere. This sort of thing happens to people who can't manage their money properly. I mean there are thousands like you in the country that are just giving your money to the bank. It's pointless to argue with them not because you actually have a case, but that you have no good reason to challenge the fee.

You are in control of online payments as well. If managing this is too difficult (it may be possible since you've incurred so many NSF fees), then stop with the online payments.

A self-administered rip-off.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Edgeman - (U.S.A.)

"I have been charged $245.00 NSF this month alone. I feel its pointless to argue with the bank. I am taking my business elsewhere. "

That's your choice. Understand that the problem will follow you unless you understand why you are being charged NSF fees in the first place.

"Another problem I have with Suntrust is automatic debiting. I have a scam company debiting almost $40 from my account monthly. Suntrust told me they can put a stop payment on the debit for a $35 fee but they can not guarantee that the debit will stop."

If this happens again, try closing the account and opening a new one.

"I have also been paying bills online with my account. There were a couple of times when the bills were paid late and I had to pay those companies late fees also."

I'll take your word on this one. In the future, try to make the payment arrangements a little earlier. However, make sure the funds are available before you arrange for the payment to be sent.

#5 Consumer Suggestion