occurring

• Submitted: Sat, October 28, 2006
  • Updated: Tue, February 09, 2010

• Reported By:Flagstaff Arizona
Super 8 Motel
1550 W. HWY 260 Camp Verde, Arizona U.S.A.
  • Phone: 928-567-2622
  • Web:
  • Category: Motels

Super 8 Motel ripoff overcharging for a rundown hotel in a bad area Camp Verde Arizona

*Consumer Suggestion: Competition

*Consumer Comment: cheryl needs to get out more

*Consumer Comment: Great Motel

*Consumer Suggestion: Motels normally charge more for weekends in my experience

*Consumer Comment: Christine from Racine is correct!

*Consumer Suggestion: I think you're confused

*Consumer Comment: I think...

*Author of original report: Overcharging means charging too much

*Consumer Comment: You were not overcharged

*Consumer Comment: I am NOT affiliated in any way with Super 8 or any other hotel

*Consumer Suggestion: Overcharging

*Author of original report: Response

*Consumer Comment: I agree, she wanted CHEAP and is just mad she couldn't get it. And,

*Consumer Suggestion: Have to agree with Peter

*Consumer Comment: How did the motel "overcharge" you?

OK. Here is what happened. I went to Prescott Valley to go to the doctor's after driving from Flagstaff. I took a whole series of test that lasted until about 1:30 in the afternoon. I had been up since 6 a.m. after only getting a few hours of sleep. I tried to make it back to Flagstaff from Prescott - a 2 hour drive with no traffic. I was tired as h**l and didn't think it was safe to be on the road.

I pulled off at the Camp Verde exit figuring I could find a cheap motel to just crash for a few hours. Boy, was I wrong! I pulled into what I figured was the least expensive motel - Super 8. They wanted almost $70.00 for a crummy hotel in a town that nobody has even heard of. I told them that I've paid $45.00 for a Motel 6 in Scottsdale. They didn't want to hear it. They said it was a weekend night (Friday) so they raise their rates. What is this, Vegas! They just wanted my cash.

I walked through the halls which were about as narrow as my body and I only weigh 110 lbs. The room was hardly special. TV had no channels and I couldn't even get on the internet. The shower looks like it has been well used with water that came out like a leaky faucet even when I turned it on full blast.

I don't know what it is with these small western towns, but this isn't the first experience that I've had with being overcharged for a hotel as well as other things, etc. Who do these people think they are? It seems to me that everyone out here has this get rich quick mentality - any means necessary. Who cares if they rip off a bunch of innocent people. Up until now, I have kept my mouth shut. But ever since I found this site, no more Miss Nice Lady.

Cheryl
Flagstaff, Arizona

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/28/2006 09:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Super-8-Motel/Camp-Verde-Arizona/Super-8-Motel-ripoff-overcharging-for-a-rundown-hotel-in-a-bad-area-Camp-Verde-Arizona-218172. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Super 8 Motel

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Competition

AUTHOR: Karl - (U.S.A.)

I'm a gold member at Marriott and I stay at dozens of properties each year. I've found that competition or lack thereof can affect rates. Motels in small towns sometimes charge higher rates than ones near a big city. Practically all motels nowadays are franchises. There are some lower priced chains such as Super 8 and Days Inn whose properties vary widely depending on the local ownership. I haven't found a great deal of difference between various Fairfield Inns and Hampton Inns though. You might try staying at those next time. Sleeping in one's car is dangerous -I agree. I think that if I was less than 2 hours from home I'd stop at some restaurant, get a cup or two of coffee and keep driving. You might get some of those motel discount coupon magazines at fast food places like McDonalds. If you do have to stop without a reservation you can save quite a bit of money with a coupon.

cheryl needs to get out more

AUTHOR: Debbie - (U.S.A.)

I hope that in the just over 3 years that it has been since this bogus report was originally filed cheryl has gotten a clue. I can not believe that she is dumb enough to actually think that chain hotels charge the same for all their rooms in every city in the world. Thats just not how it is. All hotels charge different prices and there are several reasons for that. Im not going to go into what those reasons are because you obviously dont have the capacity to understand.

I cant believe you expected a super 8 to charge you the same as a motel 6 to begin with. They are not the same hotel.

Just because a hotels parking lot is nearly empty does not mean the hotel is not busy. Have you ever heard of a tour bus or a work crew? The hotel I work at (I've been in the hotel industry for 24 years now) has only 68 rooms. We had a work crew book 30 (yes 30 it was a huge work project) The company only provided 5 vans for the guys to share. They car pooled and did not all work the same shift so that worked great.

A tour group needed 45 rooms at the same time which was more than what we had left BUT they took the remaining 38 rooms we had left and booked 7 at the hotel NEXT door which is where they parked the bus. So in other words we only had 8 vehicles in the lot 3 of which were employees and we were at 100% capacity. You should never assume.

As I said I have been in the business for 24 years and no it's not for super 8 If I did work for super 8 I would ask that you take your business elsewhere.

Oh and you do not know what the word overcharged means.

Great Motel

AUTHOR: Bill - (U.S.A.)

I have a friend, very good friend, who is a former "Inspector" for Cendant/Wyndham Worldwide I can tell you this place is probably one of the best run and best maintained in the Super 8 system, as I often stay here when I go to the casino.  From the indoor pool and hot tub, to the "free" popcorn, Peter & Barb are excellent hosts.  This lady was obviously a cheap ass, as the $45 Motel 6 in Scottsdale is located next to an Adult Bookstore in South Scottsdale.  I will continue to stay @ this place over the Days Inn Camp Verde.  Wyndham would rather have "quantity" than "quality" and they recently laid off 4,000 employees from Septemer 2008 to December 2008 oyees, MANY of which were inspectors, and business developement staff. Just beware of the Wyndham brands. You should ask the manager to see the last "qa report" or last "city or county" inspection before checking in!

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Motels normally charge more for weekends in my experience

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

Here is a Super 8 price for tonight 11/2 in Atlantic City, NJ as an example since someone mentioned casinos:

1 King Bed Room Best Available Rate

NONSMOKING ROOM WITH 1 KING BED FREE BRKFST AND WIRELESS INTERNET 1/2 BLOCK FROM BEACH AND BOARDWALK

Per Room/Night
Thu. 11/02/06 USD 55.00

1 night (1 Room): USD 55.00
Taxes: USD 7.70

Total: USD 62.70

Here is the same room for Saturday night 11/4:

Best Available Rate

Best Available Rate Quality And Comfort You Can Rely On Thank You For Choosing Super 8
Available with these rooms:

1 King Bed Room Best Available Rate

Per Room/Night
Sat. 11/04/06 USD 199.00

1 night (1 Room): USD 199.00
Taxes: USD 27.86

Total: USD 226.86

Christine from Racine is correct!

AUTHOR: Jennifer - (U.S.A.)

There is a difference between overpriced and overcharged. This motel was, in your opinion, overpriced. They did not overcharge you. You accepted the rate.

Hotels and motels are not regulated by any government agency and are free to charge whatever they want. You, as a consumer, are free to either accept the rate or go elsewhere.

#6 Consumer Suggestion

I think you're confused

AUTHOR: Christine - (U.S.A.)

Over charging means quoting one price and charging a higher price. You may think the room was over PRICED, however you were not over CHARGED. And as everyone has previously noted, you made the choice. You knew how much the room was, and it was your choice to stay there.

I think...

AUTHOR: Nicole - (U.S.A.)

I think that $70 is a good rate for a weekend. For that matter, I think $100 is a good rate for a weekend hotel. However, that could be because I typically am willing to spend much more than that. For $70 I expect to have a room, a hot shower, clean linens, and maybe a bagel for breakfast. Oh, and a coffee pot in the room and a lock on the door. That is it. No more, no less.

If you want the internet, the 100 cable channels, the hot tub and indoor pool, room service and hot breakfast, pay $150+ during the weekend.

It is standard practice, and basic economics, for hotels to raise rates during the weekend. If you did not like the price, why did you stay there? Why did you not walk out to your car and call other hotels? Or did you do this and find they were all the same price?

Overcharging means charging too much

AUTHOR: Cheryl - (U.S.A.)

and that's what they did. You're arguing an indefensible position. If you honestly think that $70 for a Super 8 is a fair rate for a BUDGET motel, you need your head examined. Everyone that I've talked to thinks it's a rip-off. I think you are just arguing just to argue. Go bother someone else. I have a feeling that these rebuttals are from the same people. hmmmm

AUTHOR: M (FlyingScooter) - (U.S.A.)

Last winter, while on a ski vacation in mid-ohio (not really known for skiing, but it's the best ohio has) Mansfield Ohio hotels and motels jack their rates thru the roof. Why? because they know they can get it on weekends in winter. Oddly, they charge more the cold months than the summer months.

I can't complain about this, it is what it is. But most serve breakfast with fresh waffles, and that 's worth it for me. :)

You were not overcharged

AUTHOR: Jamie - (U.S.A.)

Overcharged would mean they told you one rate then charged you more then that.

Now, if you want to argue you did not get what you paid for as far as the room and the appearance of the hotel itself, you might have something there.

But quit saying over charged or learn what the term really means.

You didn't get your money's worth is more like it.

I am NOT affiliated in any way with Super 8 or any other hotel

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

Cheryl,

The choice was still yours to make. You accepted the rate of $70, and got your room! How is that a ripoff?

Now, if you were quoted $50 and then charged $70 upon checkout, that would be a ripoff.

FYI..You can't always have it your way. Just because you only want to pay a certain amount for something, doesn't mean its going to work that way.

Furthermore, the rates are based on supply and demand. If there are no other motels in that area they have the entire supply.

And, something is worth what someone else will pay for it! You paid for it so you validated the value.

If you didn't want to spend the $70 to stay there, why did you??

I have spent countless nights on the road driving cross country where I have slept in my car after finding rooms too expensive or unavailable at rest stops or truck stops, and NEVER have I been bothered. Heck, at a decent truck stop, you can even buy a shower!!!

Motel 6 does NOT offer wireless access at ANY of their motels, so why does the lack of access suprise you? Motel 6 promises a room. Nothing fancy, but a roof over your head, a bed, and a shower. They don't promise you wireless internet service (or even for that matter, a business center!), nor do they promise you 100 channels of satellite tv.

If $70 was too much for you, well, park in their lot, take a nap for a couple hours and keep driving. If you had complaints about the status of your room, i.e. it wasn't clean, or something was wrong with the shower or tv--why didn't you ask at the front desk for a different room??? If they were as empty as you state, they would have put you in a different room, and your experience would have been different. Speak to a manager when you're there. If one isn't present, ask whoever's at the desk to call the manager and have them come in and speak with you- or at least talk to you over the phone.

If this happened within the last month, call Motel 6 headquarters and see if they have someone in customer service that could help you with your complaint. If you have a reciept, make copies and send copies along with your complaint letter to corporate Motel 6.

As far as what I have read in your complaint so far, this isn't a ripoff. You walked in, you paid your $70, and you got what you paid for. A room with a bed and a shower. The going rate is the going rate.

#19 Consumer Suggestion

Overcharging

AUTHOR: Christine - (U.S.A.)

The point here is, you were advised of the rate, and you didn't object to it. If you found the room to be not of your satifaction, you could have complained immediately. If you felt it was only worth $50, you could have spoken up right then and there.

Bottom line, you were advised of the rate, and you accepted it. Hindsight is 20/20, however to claim it is a ripoff is just sour grapes.

Response

AUTHOR: Cheryl - (U.S.A.)

To Rebuttal number 1. if a room is only worth $50 or less than I should have been charged 50 or less. It can't get much clearer than that. There were no other affordable motels and i don't think you would sleep in your car, so don't expect me to.

Rebuttal number 2 - Yes, Mr. agent for the Super 8, I do realize it's somewhat close to Sedona, but it isn't Sedona. Jerome is way far away and Cliff Castle Casino is one of a million casinos in Arizona. They are all over Phoenix too and I only paid $45 down there. Again, I'm not sleeping in my car. Not only is it dangerous, but it's too noisy.

Rebuttal number 3 - hello, manager of the Super 8? There was nobody in the parking lot of the motel so obviously there was no demand. I understand about Vegas. That's what I tried to point out. Camp Verde is NOT Vegas. I can see paying a lot for a room in well-known tourist attraction. I agree that $50 or less is considered cheap now. Where i live is none of your concern.

If you guys want to kiss the butt of corporate America, be my guest. But, take it elsewhere. Don't gang up on me, because I'm complaining about being overcharged. I have a right to complain if I feel I'm being overcharged which I was. It's a free country.

I agree, she wanted CHEAP and is just mad she couldn't get it. And,

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

Here is a little info on room rates. Supply and demand. When there are more rooms available, the prices are lower. This means if there was only 1 motel at this exit, there is a shortage of available rooms in this area making the prices higher.

Also, Cheryl mentioned Vegas. Well, I lived there 7 years and part of the time was a cab driver. Show up on a Fri night in Vegas and try to get a room. The Motel 8 there will cost you well over $200!

And, if you were so tired that you just had to sleep for a few hours, why would you need internet access?

I see the real problem here, your thinking was, why should I pay $70 if I only need it for a few hours.

FYI.. A "cheap" motel is now around $50/night during the week and more on weekends. I see no ripoff here. And, this coming from someone who lives in Flagstaff! I have never seen a bargain in Flagstaff!

#22 Consumer Suggestion

Have to agree with Peter

AUTHOR: Stile - (U.S.A.)

Just because you didn't like the hotel doesn't mean that they ripped you off. You could have stayed somewhere else, or slept in your car if you thought $70 was too expensive.

Incidentally, I've stayed at the hotel in question (there are only a few in Camp Verde) and I got a much better rate than $70 just by booking ahead and using a corporate discount.

The reason that Camp Verde is a bit more expensive than you would expect is that it is only a few miles from Sedona, AZ, as well as being 1 exit from the Cliff Castle Casino, and close to Jerome. There are attractions in the area, and Camp Verde is in the middle, but it still beats staying at the casino or in Sedona, for that matter.

How did the motel "overcharge" you?

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

Did the motel not tell you the nightly rate before you agreed to rent the room? It sounds from you post as if they DID tell you how much the room cost, but you rented it anyway after unsuccessfully trying to get them to rent you the room at half the cost.

Just because you do not like a room rate does NOT mean that you were ripped off. You could have simply said "no thank you" and gone to a more affordable motel, or even taken a nap in your car if you were so exhausted. Renting the room anyway indicates acceptance of the motel's terms and conditions, including whatever rate you agreed to pay!