Complaint Review: Support Sports Aka Dave Brown Ripoff Artist Using Kids

• Updated: Mon, March 17, 2008

• Reported By:Oakville Ontario
Support Sports Aka Dave Brown Ripoff Artist Using Kids
#14 1580 Lancaster Dr. Oakville, Ontario Canada

Support Sports Aka Dave Brown Ripoffs Off Kids A Con Artist Using Charity As A Front Smooth talking con man aka Coach Dave who presents himself as sports coach working for not for profit charity goes door to small businesses owners telling people he came up with this new program (not true) makes himself look creditable with fake newpaper articles and /or paid for radio interviews check web site. Took our $500 and disappeared. Don't get taken in, Presently under investigation! Oakville Ontario Canada

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Rebuttal to Consumer Comment

*Consumer Comment: Not really your idea....

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Lying Defendant tries to make good on threats to destroy revolutionary kids' fundraising program!

Smooth talking con man Dave Brown aka Coach Dave who presents himself as a kids sports coach working for not a not for profit charity Goes door to door to small businesses owners telling people he came up with this new program (not true) to raise money for kids From his appearance you might find it hard to believe he has ever engaged in any sports himself however he is well spoken, friendly and has developed a good sales pitch.
Once he has gained your confidence with his win"" win"" formula he will try and sell you on a few other ideas that will cost you money. Be very careful what you sign and don't do what I did and that was give him any money. I gave him $500 and never heard from him again until recently when his newest web site surfaced.$500 was given for a full page advertisement in the support sports directory of businesses.This guy is a real crook and now claims the money was given directly to "the kids" sports program. He won't give any further details and says he is under no obligations to provide. By chance I once got him on the phone and when I accused him of being a fraud he simply responded confidently "I've got all the angels covered"

He is quick to use several fake newspaper articles and /or paid for radio interviews as creditable references. Look closely, do some further investigation and you will find this is nothing more than a elaborate set up to line Dave Brown's pocket with cash. A low life who prays on the generousity of charitable people.

Bob
Oakville, Ontario
Canada

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/16/2008 02:29 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Support-Sports-Aka-Dave-Brown-Ripoff-Artist-Using-Kids/Oakville-Ontario-L6H2Z5/Support-Sports-Aka-Dave-Brown-Ripoffs-Off-Kids-A-Con-Artist-Using-Charity-As-A-Front-Smoo-300620. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Support Sports Aka Dave Brown Ripoff Artist Using Kids

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Rebuttal to Consumer Comment

AUTHOR: Coach Dave - (Canada)

Jen from London is right, grocery stores have been doing the receipt rebate program for over 30 years. As stated in my original rebuttal "I paid for a flyer to refer visiting teams to local hotels and restaurants willing to give 10% back on the receipts, which our visiting teams used to enter a draw for an autographed basketball". I've been involved in youth sports for over 20 years and have never seen this type of reverse sponsorship with a draw an autographed sports item for teams attending tournaments. That's what I invented!

Also no one has ever compiled such an extensive group of participating independent/franchise merchants! No one has an air miles type of tracking system, which is where we are headed with this program.

There is no other program, to my knowledge that publishes a full colour Preferred Supplier Directory hand delivered by teachers + coaches, and supports the program with a professional website

We are receiving generous rebates from the participating merchants, up to 15 per cent. Typical grocery store and other receipt programs are not that generous at all. If you go to testimonials on our website you will see a letter from Heritage Glen public school. They raised over 280 dollars in the first month of participating with our program, exceeding the annual take from the Soby's grocery store receipt program!

Not really your idea....

AUTHOR: Jen - (Canada)

The merchant helping with fundraising has been around for years... This is not a new idea.
This exact same profile ie: people submitting receipts from certain merchants and the merchants providing a donation for every receipt has been used for sports, schools, scout groups etc. My sons have participated in this type of fundraising several times over the last 15 years....

#3 REBUTTAL Owner of company

AUTHOR: Coach Dave - (Canada)

As the Owner, founder and creator of the Support Sports & Students fundraising system, I'm sad to see a good and useful organization like badbusinessbureau.com getting used by a defendant in a civil lawsuit, simply trying to make good on a threat to try to destroy a legitimate and helpful new program designed to reduce the cost of participating in youth sports or school trips.

There is no "Bob from Oakville" there is in fact one Gerry Mulholland who along with his wife Janis own a used clothing company called Kaleidoscope Kids at 159 Lakeshore Rd. E in Mississauga Ontario. They want other people (namely me) to pay for THEIR advertising!

They were invited to participate for FREE in a revolutionary reverse sponsorship program that I invented, where the merchants give a small % back to the school or team that produces a receipt from that company. We do publish a Preferred Supplier Directory printed booklet + offer a free listing, however Janis decided she wanted to purchase a 1/4 page ad in the Mississauga directory + website for $500 to further promote their business, not as a charitable contribution. I fully explained that the initial charge was to cover the costs of printing, web design + distribution. They provided $250 down payment with the balance due upon proof that the Directories were actually printed.

After the printing + website were completed with their ad included they refused to pay the balance of $250 saying it took TOO LONG! I strongly suspect they didn't have the money but were too embarrassed to admit that. They were the ONLY business out of about 300 participating that refused to pay after signing a contract! Out of principal and the fact that I don't want to pay for their advertising, I'm presently suing Kaleidoscope Kids in civil court. After receiving my statement of claim Gerry threatened to "shut me down" using any means possible! This pathetic report is just one lame example of his feeble attempt to do just that.

Regarding the report filed;

1) If this is a legitimate report from a concerned citizen, why would he have to make up a fictitious name and change the city he's from?

2) "fake newspaper articles" All the newspaper articles are completely legitimate, they can be seen on my site as well as some of the newspaper's own websites.
For example go to http://www.burlingtonpost.com/news/article/29199 to see an article about Support Sports. Does anyone think I control newspaper websites? If they do, they can call Scott Stewart, Sports Editor from the Oakville Today newspaper 905-825-2229. Not only did Scott report on the Support Sports & Students program, he's run features + team pictures in his paper, on no less than 7 Championship winning teams I've coached in Oakville since 1996 including my son's High School baseball team at IRHS. All articles available upon request.

3) "paid for radio interviews" I was interviewed by Roger Lajoie from THE FAN590 sports talk radio station - Canada's largest! You can confirm that not only did I not have to pay for a 12 minute interview... THE FAN590 NEVER pays for interviews! This can be confirmed by calling Doug Farraway, Sports Director, THE FAN 590 416-935-8431 or email him at doug.farraway@rci.rogers.com He can also confirm some guy from Oakville named Bob called the station to let them know I was using their logo and directed Mr. Farraway to his report on

badbusinessbureau.com

to try and discredit me. Based on the fact I was easily able to prove my legitimacy along with the false claims in Bob's report, their FAN590 logo, along with my UNPAID interview are still featured on my website and won't be coming down in spite of this weak attempt. It didn't hurt that I've coached the News Director, Scott Metcalfe's son in baseball for several years. They easily and quickly realized Bob (aka Gerry) was full of crap!

4) telling people he came up with this new program (not true) Finding traditional sponsorships tough to find I invented this program while convening basketball tourneys in Oakville for the Vytis rep basketball program. I paid for a flyer to refer visiting teams to local hotels and restaurants willing to give 10% back on the receipts, which our visiting teams used to enter a draw for an autographed basketball. It was a huge hit and a restaurant owner suggested we allow all the local teams to use this system year round. We now have about 300 businesses of all kinds willing to give a rebate on purchases to any local school or team. I still have copies of the original 2 fold flyer available on request.

5) I have already received several thank you letters from some participating schools + teams, thrilled with the results of this easy fundraising system. I'd be happy to provide them upon request. We provide a complete list of all the supplier rebates for tracking and confirming the correct payment is received from us.

6) Considering Bob's report is full of spelling mistakes, poor grammar, sentences that don't make sense and he doesn't know the difference between an angel and an angle, suffice it to say, his elevator doesn't go all the way to the top! Bob is clearly uneducated and ignorant and actually believes people won't be able to see through this transparent, baseless and easily disproved report

To any potential supplier reading this bogus, farcical, report please remember this program was designed for skeptics. There is no prerequisite that you have to pay for an ad or anything else up front. You can always just go with a free listing and pay only if/when our members actually buy something from you. Just please don't expect me to pay for your ad!