Complaint Review: Sweatland Payless Oil

• Reported By: Vince — New Marlborough Massachusetts United States of America
Sweatland Payless Oil
25 Industrial Drive Pittsfield, Massachusetts United States of America

Sweatland Payless Oil home heating oil company Pittsfield, Massachusetts

On April 30, 2011 I signed a contract with Sweatland Payless Oil on August 16, 2010 for home heating oil deliverires for season at a fixed price of $2.509 per gallon. Contract expired on April 30, 2011. I prepaid $2,300.00 in August 2010 by Visa credit card for approximately 917 gallons of oil which would be delivered through the winter. On April 19, 2011 I phoned Sweatland and spoke to their rep, Diane, who informed me of the amounts (gallons and dollars) left on my contract. I instructed her to deliver the 141 gallons of oil remaining on my contract ($354.00 worth). She said the delivery would be scheduled for that Friday, April 22, 2011. I went on vacation and when I returned on May 1st, the oil tank was almost empty and there had been no delivery. I called Sweatland on Monday, May 2nd to ask what had happened and Diane told me she didn't remember my calling and asking for the delivery, and that since the contract had expired on April 30th, I would have to pay retail price for the oil which was $3.899 per gallon. That's $1.39 per gallon more than the contract price. Needing the oil, I accepted their minimum delivery amount of 100 gallons at the retail price. The delivery was made on May 6, 2011 for 100 gallons and billed at $3.899 per gallon. The $354.00 left on my account plus another $5.00 (reason unknown) was deducted from the bill leaving a balance owed of $30.90. The bottom line is, I was cheated out of 41 gallons of oil at the contract price of $2.509 per gallon (= $102.87), and the 100 gallons that was delivered cost an additional $30.90. My total loss is $132.79. I would like this amount refunded to me. Sweatland oil had an obligation to deliver all the oil I prepaid for, but did not do so. Allowing the contract to expire and charging $1.39 per gallon more for oil I had already paid for is quite a nice scam, and a great way to make extra money for the company. I am a senior citizen living on a rather small income. I think their business practices are unethical and illegal.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/12/2011 12:43 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sweatland-Payless-Oil/Pittsfield-Massachusetts-01201/Sweatland-Payless-Oil-home-heating-oil-company-Pittsfield-Massachusetts-728518. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sweatland Payless Oil