Complaint Review: Swift Movers Van Lines

• Updated: Wed, December 26, 2012

• Reported By: Paul H — Jacksonville Florida United States of America
Swift Movers Van Lines
3131 Coney Island Avenue Brooklyn, New York United States of America

Swift Movers Van Lines Breech of Contract, Overcharging, Flooded. Brooklyn, New York

I hired this company in May of 2012. Upon first arriving to my home these individuals were rude and disrespectful. Unfortunately, I did not have much of a choice but to use them because I had to move immediately. The original quoted price for my move from New Jersey to Florida was $780 plus $100 per month for storage. By the time the movers left they had packed the truck so loosly that it turned into $1165 for the move. On about October 15th I received a call from Anthony who stated that I needed to pay my storage bill because "they were running tight on space". He said I owed $600 for 4 months of storage and the first month was free. At this point I began to question why the amount had changed and he said it was implied that the amount would go up. I rejected this decision as it was not properly quoted to me and sent him the full 6 months of storage that I had planned on keeping my items there in the amount of $600. After a few weeks Superstorm Sandy had swept through the area and I called to make sure everything was OK. I was told that everything was fine and I then tried to arrange a time for my deliver. After several attempts and phone calls to arrange this delivery I finally got a date of December 14th.

Well everyday for a week after that I was told the move would be a day or two later. Finally on the 20th, after already taking time off from work the previous weekend to move the truck showed up with a 20 minute warning. Once the truck arrived they argued with my wife for about 3 hours that we had to pay the extra $300 in storage fees. We finally did pay them because they would not offload my items otherwise. The driver told me that because I made him wait that I was going to have to move my items in my house by myself. Once the items starting coming off the truck it was clear that there was a problem. It turns out that instead of telling me that there was flooding 2 months previous so that I could make arrangements to discard the bad items and file claims against the insurance the moving company concealed there was a problem and delivered 90% of my items completely ruined with water and mold. NEVER use this company. I tried to request a refund but they are denying it.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/26/2012 08:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Swift-Movers-Van-Lines/Brooklyn-New-York-11235/Swift-Movers-Van-Lines-Breech-of-Contract-Overcharging-Flooded-Brooklyn-New-York-987380. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Swift Movers Van Lines