Complaint Review: Swift Transportation

• Submitted: Sat, October 11, 2003
  • Updated: Sat, March 13, 2004

• Reported By:martinsburg West Virginia
Swift Transportation
3150 Starnes Cove Memphis, Tennessee U.S.A.

Swift Transportation masters of ripoff Memphis Tennessee

*Consumer Comment: We will hear you complaining in a year. ..If Jerry would promote a more worker-friendly environment and have less lining of his own pockets

*Consumer Comment: considering a career with swift for several months now and decided to do some research

*UPDATE Employee: Traning At Swift Driving Academy

once a student of swift school of truck driving I had a dreams of one day of having a CDL and of coruse driving for what I was told to be one of the fastest grow truck driving company in the us.

Thats what I was told but soon it will all be turned into a nightmare. swift school is a 3 week long "HELL" the first thing they want from you once arrived is that $150.00 and if you don't have that its bye! bye!. and the instructors are supposed to teach you at lease thats what I thought.

they will walk into the class room and tell you things that are not true like they are there to help during my three week me along with others recived no help what so ever 95 student in my class including me tought ourselves and this is the god honest truth not one instructor ever come in any one classroom to teach the CDL manual tought us everything we knew. even on the range during that week agian no bother to help sure they would yell a scream if you put their trucks in danger but if have no one to teach us how can we avoid putting there sometimes non working truck in danger.

but the real deal is during orentation where you thought once was the truth turns out to be lies everything you have been told is now lies all lies.

marth
martinsburg, West Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/11/2003 04:34 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Swift-Transportation/Memphis-Tennessee-30788/Swift-Transportation-masters-of-ripoff-Memphis-Tennessee-68851. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Swift Transportation

AUTHOR: Kathy - (U.S.A.)

Most drivers don't even last 1 year at this place. Swift as a company has a lot of turnover in personell. The driver and mechanic turnover is one of the highest in the industry. Swift is a training company. In my experience with Swift, I feel that the problem is their management. In my opinion Jerry has too many friends and relatives in key positions through the comapany, and this inevitably leads to disaster and self-gratification. If Jerry would promote a more worker-friendly environment and have less lining of his own pockets, the better Swift would be as a company, and would inevitably turn more profit for everyone to share.

AUTHOR: Wayne - (U.S.A.)

Many thanks to Gil Smyrna Georgia.
I have been considering a career with swift for several months now and decided to do some research on the company. In the begining I was a bit discouraged by all the complaints on this site however I realize that most of the postings are from people who are displeased with Swift. I agree with Gil. Undertaking a career in trucking is not only a career change but also a radical lifestyle change as well. Many people do not respond well to change. Especially such a drastic change as being away from home for long periods of time. I suspect many of the students who did not make the grade most likely experienced the same thing their first time away at summer camp. It's called "homesick".

Anyway, my mind is made up. I am going to call Swift as soon as I send this. Again, thanks Gil... Wish me luck and perhaps we will cross paths on the road someday. Good luck and godspeed!

I have just graduated from the Swift Driving Academy in Millington, Tennessee.

I would like to point out that the course was demanding and yes the hours that were spent both in the classroom and out on the range were no picnic (After all, it's cold in January and early February.) But I would like you to consider a few points.

First, driving a semi tractor-trailer isn't easy - especially if you've never been around one.
In three weeks time the instructors at the academy had to turn out a class that was properly schooled in both the basic written and practical aspects of their new profession. There is a lot of information to absorb and a lot of basic skills you must acquire. It's demanding, it's intense and there is no room for people who think that they are being shipped to Club Med for a vacation, or that someone is going to pay you well for little, or no effort.

Think of what these men and women are doing.
They are preparing you to drive a $150,000 tractor tied to a $75,000 trailer, which is loaded down with thousands of dollars worth of freight...None of which belongs to you.
If they succeed then they have a shot at acquiring a good employee who can and will do a hard job. If not, then they are removing a potential hazard both to their company and the public at large. I will add that each of the instructors bent over backwards to help me wherever and whenever I needed it. But I had to ask for it. After all, they are not mind readers.
A lot of my classmates went the way of the Dodo for several reasons. (101 started - 33 graduated.)
The ones that didn't make it had drug problems or medical problems or they were too dumb to master the written portion of the CDL. They had no ability behind the wheel or they just didn't have a solid work ethic. Some just gave up and didn't want to try. In other words, many were called...few were chosen.
Why?

Before you pass you are going to have to show them that you can be trusted, that you are intelligent enough to cut the mustard in class and that you have the ability to control such a huge vehicle safely. You going to have to show them that you work well with others under pressure and that you are both dependable and capable. And you are going to have to show them that you care and that you have heart.
The pay is there, the benefits are there and no one at Swift told me that any of this was going to be a cakewalk. I would suggest that no one enter this industry lightly. It is a hard job, a profession and a lifestyle you should enter it with your eyes wide open.

Personally, I don't know how long I will be a driver but I will say that it's ludicrous to imagine that anything worth doing professionally is easy or that any company is going to give you something for nothing.