mystery

• Submitted: Mon, January 24, 2005
  • Updated: Mon, January 24, 2005

• Reported By:Memphis, Tn. Tennessee
Symantec Corporation
20330 Stevens Creek Boulevard Cupertino, California U.S.A.

Symantec Corporation, Norton Antivirus Did not honor Rebate advertisements on new peroduct purchase. Cupertino California

Two $ 20.00 USD rebates were offered on Symantec's Norton Antivirus 2004 purchase made at BestBuy company. One rebate for those who had previously purchased any Symantec product prior to a certain date but it excluded all OEM installed Symantec software from the rebate offer. Second $ 20.00 USD rebate offer was for new purchase of any Symantec/Norton product.

My computer had OEM installed Norton A/V 2000 and when Symantec refused to renew definitions updates I purchased the new Norton A/V 2004 which advertised the rebate offers.

I sent all paperwork including printed information from the product box, barcode and round sticker and store receipts as well as the separate rebate receipts to a post office box in Florida as instructed along with a note explaining that I was not attempting to obtain the rebate for my original Norton 2000 OEM installed item but was applying for the newly purchased Norton A/V 2004.

Several weeks later I received a post card from aMiami Florida but posted in Dallas, Texas stating that they couldn't honor the rebate because I didn't establish proof of previous purchase.

I could say that I previously purchased definitions update renewals during 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2003 until they forced me to purchase the 2004 software version.

The point is, I applied for the new product purchse rebate offered to anyone purchasing the product at a retail store and they did not honor that.

I sent two complaints to them via their "contact" link on their web page and that was the end of it.

Now I don't care whether they reply, honor the rebate or what they do. When my definitions subscription expires I have plans for other software to replace theirs at a better price.

I just wanted others to be aware of what could happen to them.

Robert
Memphis, Tn., Tennessee

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/24/2005 02:18 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Symantec-Corporation/Cupertino-California-95014/Symantec-Corporation-Norton-Antivirus-Did-not-honor-Rebate-advertisements-on-new-peroduct-128640. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Symantec Corporation