Complaint Review: Symantec Corporation

• Submitted: Fri, January 09, 2004
  • Updated: Thu, January 22, 2004

• Reported By:Greenwich Connecticut
Symantec Corporation
20330 Stevens Creek Blvd. Cupertino, California U.S.A.

Symantec Corporation (Norton) Symantec Corporation ripoff SystemWorks 2004 Rebate Cupertino California

*Author of original report: Rebate RESOLVED ..Symantec should NOT be excused simply because they hired an inept third-party to process their rebates

*Consumer Suggestion: Sounds like you do need two proofs of purchase.

*Consumer Suggestion: How I resolved the Problem

Symantec Corporation is a ripoff for the Norton SystemWorks 2004 Rebate. I filed both the $30 and $40 rebates as required. I took my time to do everything as asked.

Although I got the $30 rebate check, I never heard a word from them regarding the $40 rebate. I decided to investigate the matter.

Turns out that they state the following:
Rebate: No Reward Will Be Issued
Rebate Information For: 103272031
Promotion: 03~66176 $40 USD Mail in Rebate with Purchase of - Norton Internet Security Pro (NIS Pro) or Norton SystemWorks Pro (NSW Pro) at Staples
Submission Type: MAIL-IN
Date Received: 12/10/2003
Status Detail: Invalid.
Invalid Reason: * Rule Proof of Purchase or Original UPC

I emailed them once, and was given NO answer, but was referred to their online-help system. At that point, I was unable to get online-support, and was channeled into their email system again. They have no online service available, and seem to be giving me the brush-off.

I will try the 800 number, but expect NO results, because 1) they have not been helpful so far, and 2) others have reported the same ripoff happening to them.

Greenwich, Connecticut

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/09/2004 03:35 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Symantec-Corporation/Cupertino-California-95014/Symantec-Corporation-Norton-Symantec-Corporation-ripoff-SystemWorks-2004-Rebate-Cupertin-76675. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Symantec Corporation

AUTHOR: Thomas - (U.S.A.)

This ripoff rebate has been resolved.
I would like to clarify a few things.

1) I did NOT mistakenly fill out, or fail to return any required receipt or proof-of-purchase. No other person should assume that. The Symantec rebate company (website powered by "Parago") admitted that I did nothing wrong.

2) The rebate company was at fault, and admitted it.

3) Symantec should NOT be excused simply because they hired an inept third-party to process their rebates. I wish that were so easy to do in my life- I could just blame the other guy, and pass the buck.

4) I did finally get my $40 rebate, but only after emailing Symantec twice, and calling two 800 numbers. The correct number was 1-866-206-8800. After holding the phone for a while, the problem was resolved.

5) This was NOT a simple rebate process. I have never jumped through so many hoops to get a rebate resolved before. I will be very wary of rebates in the future, and I will photo-copy everything before I mail them out. I actually hope I buy products without rebates from now on, if I can afford to.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Sounds like you do need two proofs of purchase.

AUTHOR: Bland - (U.S.A.)

I agree with the above poster. Just for your info
Symantec is the maker of Norton products. I do not think anything was intentionally done wrong
to you but more of a honest mistake. It is not
unusual for a company to require proof of purchase for a rebate and keeps those who would
break the rules honest. Obviously you bought the
product in good faith and paid in full but your
cashere or salesperson did not print you a secound receipt and inform you how to file your
rebate properly. I would not be too hard on the
Symantec corporation for following normal bussiness practices. I am just a consumer like
you and do not work for Symantec and have no ties.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

How I resolved the Problem

I had the same problem with this rebate. I was easily able to get this resolved with the rebate company.

The problem is that there are 2 separate rebates for the product. They both require either the proof of purchase OR the original UPC code. The one that was rejected most likely was the one that you sent the proof of purchase with.

Unfortunately, the person who entered the rebates did not realize this and rejected it because it was missing the UPC code which is required on most rebate promotions.

The rebate is being processed at the rebate company Perago (hired by Symantec) and they can fix the problem. They did for me. Here is what to do:

1) Call the 800 number on the rebate form.

2) You will get a menu. Select the item that states that your rebate was rejected.

3) You will get another menu with a bunch of items that you don't want. You want to speak to a person, not listen to recordings. Don't choose any of those options, just wait on the line for a minute and it will transfer you to customer service. (They should make it a menu item.)

4) Listen to hold music for a while (took me 10 min on hold) until a live person picks up the phone. Politely explain your problem and they will fix the problem. (Note that you need to be nice and not angry or rude. It goes a lot farther in resolving problems.)

I did this, they fixed it and sent me my other rejected rebate with a week. It does not look like they are trying to avoid paying rebates, but someone just goofed up. I didn't try the email approach, so I have no comment on why they did not respond.