Complaint Review: Symantec Corporation

• Submitted: Mon, June 14, 2004
  • Updated: Sat, December 04, 2004

• Reported By:Winona Minnesota
Symantec Corporation
20330 Stevens Creek Blvd. Cupertino, California U.S.A.

Symantec Corporation Rebate Scam...just business as usual at Symantec Cupertino California

*Author of original report: Guess If your big enough, you can screw with anyone

*Author of original report: partial satisfaction

In April of 2004 my wife decided to go into business for herself as a graphic designer/director. She was convinced by her sales agent to purchase Norton System Works 3.0 for Machintosh and Norton Anti Virus 2004.

Both software packages came with cash rebate offers worth $50 and $30 respectively. My wife took great pains to jump through Symantec's hoops by enclosing all of the documentation requested AND she made copies of both of her submissions. To date Symantec has rejected both original and resubmissions, now claiming that the "time limit" has expired.

Symantec has an unsatisfactory rating with the BBB of Silicon Valley and I believe that this rating is well deserved. I have forwarded my own complaint to the BBB and to the Minnesota Attorney General.

It appears that this company has decided to extend its corporate middle finger towards its customer base, figuring that it is too big to be taken down. Bad company..bad..bad.bad!

Michael
Winona, Minnesota

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/14/2004 06:21 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Symantec-Corporation/Cupertino-California/Symantec-Corporation-Rebate-Scamjust-business-as-usual-at-Symantec-Cupertino-California-94878. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Symantec Corporation

Guess If your big enough, you can screw with anyone

AUTHOR: Michael - (U.S.A.)

Well, here it is December of 2004 and I only received one of the two cash rebates that I was entitled to. I enlisted the help of the BBB in Cupertino,CA and the Minnesota Attorney General's office to no avail. I did get two phone calls on two different weeks from representative's of Symantec, and both promised that the second rebate had been mailed. Guess what...no check. Both the BBB and Minnesota AG were also informed by Symantec that the rebates were paid. Guess if you are big enough, you can screw with anyone with impunity.

On a related note, I just had to install a new hard disk into my computer due to a complete crash, and I lost most all of my programs. I was given satisfaction by over 8 software manufactures who provided me with access to replacements and the codes needed to activate them. Due to my experience with the rebates, I didn't even try Symantec. I now own system tools and a spam killer made by another company and I will sever my business relationship with Symantec when my virus scan license expires. I sincerely hope that others will follow my lead and cut Symantec down to size...they need it bad.

partial satisfaction

AUTHOR: Michael - (U.S.A.)

After filing a complaint with the BBB of Silicon Valley, I received one of my two cash rebates from Symantec in late June I notified the BBB of this result. The Minnesota Attorney General's office is also following the progress of my attempts to get satisfaction from Symantec. Betcha Symantec is not this casual when someone owes them money...

lightly