Complaint Review: Symantec - Staples

• Submitted: Fri, February 24, 2006
  • Updated: Tue, February 28, 2006

• Reported By:Cherry Hill, NJ New Jersey
Symantec - Staples
20330 Stevens Creek Blvd. Cupertino, California U.S.A.

Symantec - Staples ripoff Rufused an advertise $40 rebate, Symantec has been refusing to pay the second advertised rebate since 1995. I have an entire dosier of my valid submissions. Cupertino California

*Consumer Comment: For William... rebates are getting more tricky and have more fine print than ever

*Consumer Comment: Pay attention to details

*Consumer Suggestion: William, you need to pay closer attention to detail on rebates.

*Consumer Comment: Staples Easy Rebates

*Consumer Suggestion: Do all Staples rebates online!

*Consumer Comment: Please explain

I purchased the Symantec Security 2006 Bundle of utilities from Staples on the 11th. of December, 2005. The offers were a $30 rebate and a $40 rebate which was to expire 30 days from the purchase date.

I submitted all the required documentation for both rebates and dated and mailed them January 2, 2006. Because of my past history with Symantec, I stapled all the forms on my cover letter which outlined my entire submission. I anticipated Symantec refusing to pay the rebates under some pretext.

the $30 rebate has been issed, but the $40 submission was returned to me unopened and stamped "Promotion Closed-Return to Sender. Both rebates were dated and mailed at the same time so we know the fufual is bogus.

Symantec has been refusing to pay me the second rebate since 1997. Eight or nine monthes later they paid the said rebates after (competitor's name deleted - see below), where I had been purchasing my software interceeded on my behalf. A short time after the retailer contacted them, I received an email stating that a vailed submission was found and was being processed.

I mentioned Staples in this report because they refused to interceed on my behalf stating there was nothing they could do. I had switched to Staples because the organization I work for and I personaly do a lot of business with the company and their advertising always mentions "Easy Rebates". (competitor's name deleted - see below) always backed their customers, but it seems Staples does not.

William
Cherry Hill, NJ, New Jersey

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/24/2006 04:05 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Symantec-Staples/Cupertino-California-95014/Symantec-Staples-ripoff-Rufused-an-advertise-40-rebate-Symantec-has-been-refusing-to-p-177924. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Symantec - Staples

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

First I want to thank you for being a Veteran of 2 wars, and living to be 81. I am also a Veteran of 2 eras, 30% disabled service connected.

However, I have seen many Army Officers that couldn't spell their name without pulling out the old ID card!

You took my post out of context. I wasn't telling you you coudn't read.

These rebates are getting more tricky and have more fine print than ever.

I just take extra time going over mine, usually 2 or three times before mailing and I have caght myself leaving something out or not doing something exactly right. It happens, and they count on it.

I am trying to not even buy rebate products anymore. Its not worth the aggravation.

Pay attention to details

AUTHOR: William - (U.S.A.)

In answer to my friend who writes, William, you need to pay attention to detail on rebates, you are my friend, are indeed one of the fortunate, or an employee of Staples or Symantec Inc.

Take your head out of the sand. Do a little reading. Look up articles in newspapers and magazines. Articles entitled like, How to get your rebate when the check is not in the mail, Rebate Horrors, Rejected! Rebates Get Harder to Collect,etc. If manufacturers paid all the rebates, there would be no need for web-sites such as Rip Off Report, Planetfeed Back among others.

You know nothing about how about me to say pay attention to details. I am a former officer of the U.S. Army, survived two wars and have an MBA. With all that, you are probably asking your self why bother about a lousy $40 rebate? Well I'll tell you, I hate false and misleading advertising. I'm an 81 year old disabled World War ll, and a Korean War Veteran. If and when you reach my age, you'll find you have nothing better to do. Besides, it can be rewarding when you take companies like these to small claims court and win the rebate, court costs and damages.

I do agree that there are better programs than Norton/Symantec, some of them free. As a matter of fact I am using another security suite that I like much better.

As to my mentioning the rebate articles and court records, if you are interested, send me a self addressed, stamped envelope and I will be happy to send you copies.

As to you Rip Off reports, please stop sending me rebuttals. Most of them are pure nonsense!!!

#3 Consumer Suggestion

William, you need to pay closer attention to detail on rebates.

William,

Used Symantec products for years and have never had any problems getting my rebates. I recieved probably 6 rebates without any problem.

Rebates are usually very tricky by design, agreed, HOWEVER it has been my experience that when you meet the deadline and follow the directions exactly, you will get your rebate.

My suggestion, stop buying the product. There are many other programs better than Norton/Symantec and cheaper too! Without fooling with any rebates!

Staples Easy Rebates

AUTHOR: William - (U.S.A.)

In response to going online to get the advertised rebates from Staples, Realy? Perhaps this applies to Staples rebates. I had gone to a Staples store and I was told they couldn't do anything about manufactere's rebates.

Symantec - Staples ripoff Rufused an advertise $40 rebate, Symantec has been refusing to pay the second advertised rebates every year since 1995. I have an entire dosier of my valid submissions. Cupertino California *Consumer Comment ..Please explain

#5 Consumer Suggestion

Do all Staples rebates online!

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

Staples rebates are so easy. Do it online, and never mail anything!

You get instant confirmation, and tracking status emailed to you every step of the way.

I cannot believe you actually had a problem with a Staples rebate!

As far as the "promotion closed" return, what was the POSTMARK on the envelope, and was was the no later than date on the rebate coupon?

Re: Rebutal.

Either I did not make myself clear or you missunderstood my claim against Symantec. What I meant to say is I have been purchasing Symantecs'
Security Suites since 1997 and every year I have been having trouble collecting the advertised rebates. I have read quite a few reorts on this site and found I am not alone

I hope this clears up any misconceptions. Several states have started actions about this type of promotions. I intend to take this as far as the courts if neccessary. I am building up a complete dosier of the offered rebates, letters of refusals, and all the articles I can find about the rebate frauds.

Please explain

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

If you bought the software in Dec 2005, how have they been refusing the rebate since 1997?!