Complaint Review: Symantec

• Submitted: Mon, March 30, 2009
  • Updated: Mon, March 30, 2009

• Reported By:Hollister California
Symantec
20330 Stevens Creek Blvd. Cupertino, California U.S.A.

Symantec $99.99 to remove virus that software was supposed to do. Cupertino California

Symantec's Norton's antivirus protection software filtered a virus (Trojan.Brisv.A!inf) on my computer. Symantec's instructions were to go to THEIR website to download a removal tool dedicated for this virus. The tool could not find the virus even though the infected folder was on my desktop.

I then contacted their support group at which time I was told that it would cost me $99.99 for them to remove the virus. I protested to the fee claiming that the fee was nearly three times the price of their software. Every other virus prior had been detected AND removed by the software. I was told this was my only option. I agreed under protest and watched the tech remotely remove the virus by dragging and dropping the folder in the recyle bin. A total of less than 2 minutes. Something Symantec could have instructed me to do.

I contacted Product Support Analyst, Roger Akerson of Symantec at which time he told me their fee was justified and that the case was closed.

Glenn
Hollister, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/30/2009 06:32 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Symantec/Cupertino-California-95014/Symantec-9999-to-remove-virus-that-software-was-supposed-to-do-Cupertino-California-439280. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Symantec