Complaint Review: Symantec

• Submitted: Sat, February 16, 2002
  • Updated: Sat, February 16, 2002

• Reported By:
Symantec
San Jose, California U.S.A.

Symantec Norton System Works Clean Sweep bug

I bought Norton System Works with CleanSweep and installed it in a brand new computer about a year ago. From the start, when I tried to print a page from the internet (using Internet Explorer) I could print the first page, but when I tried to print another page, the computer froze.

It took many months of research to finally figure out that the problem was with CleanSweep. A program called CSInject that CleanSweep runs in the background causes this printing problem. So using MSConfig I disabled this program.

Symantec's website acknowledged that this was a problem but provided no solution other than to disable it. So for over a year I was not able to take advantage of a program which I had paid good money for.

Now I see that the latest version of CleanSweep has fixed this problem. But Symantec refuses to provide me with a free copy of the new program to compensate me for my trouble and the fact that I never got what I paid for.

Instead they say I should have contacted them for a refund within the first 60 days. But with all the new things I had to learn about my computer in the first 60 days, not to mention all the time it took to finally figure out that it was their program that was causing my problem, this was impossible. So beware, Symantec sucks and will rip you off if you let them.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/16/2002 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Symantec/San-Jose-California/Symantec-Norton-System-Works-Clean-Sweep-bug-14284. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Symantec