Complaint Review: Synapse Retail Venutres, Inc.

• Submitted: Sat, February 16, 2013
  • Updated: Sat, February 16, 2013

• Reported By: Mary — Tallahassee Florida United States of America
Synapse Retail Venutres, Inc.
C/O Processing Center, PO Box 30468 Salt Lake City Salt Lake City, Utah United States of America

Synapse Retail Venutres, Inc. Synapse Group, Inc. Books-a-Million draws customers into a Synapse Venture's magazine-sending rip-off Salt Lake City, Utah

When I purchased a membership in a Tallahassee Books-a-Million, months ago, the check-out clerk said I could get three free magazines for a short time (3 months), and then could decide if I wanted to continue them.  I should have known NOTHING is free, but chose People Magazine, Cooking Light, and Time,  ones I sometimes look at when stuck in a doctor's office for a few minutes.  Well, after the free time, all three of them kept coming and coming, and then I found that money was being deducted from my credit card for these bills!  So I called a number connected with the charge, and found I could only cancel one magazine at a time.  I told the tele-marketer or clerk that I no longer wanted to receive Time, and she wrote that down, then passed me along to another person to verify.  She asked if I'd like to keep receiving the rest of what I paid for, and I said NO, I wanted all magazines to stop immediately. [continued below]....
.....  At the end of that apparent cancellation I thought I'd have to call another number for each of the other two magazines, but was able to give that same information [again saying NO MORE, and QUIT SENDING ANY MAGAZINES] re Cooking Light and People.  Well, the magazines have kept on coming anyway, and I thought it might just take a couple of weeks, but--they keep coming.  Finally, an oversize post card arrived today thanking me, guaranteeing hassle-free subscription, saying they'd send notices of bills and rates, guaranteeing outstanding savings. All as if I'd never made the cancellation call!!!! This card only refers to the TIME subscription, and says "Your magazine listed below will continue for the next term of issues using the account number you agreed to be billed for your selection [understand that I NEVER agreed to be billed for ANY of these selections] and will be charged for TIME at $41 for a total of 28 issues.  If you wish to discontinue, call 877-210-0516 by March 10 and no charge will appear.  Cancel anytime after you have been charged and receive a refund of unserved issues based on your total term of service."  Etc.  This is so dismaying.  I'll call that number, and try the Better Business Bureau, but unless it's a false BBB posting, it looks like the BBB says this company is OK!!!  Also, please know that Books-a-Million passed along my credit card number in order for this Synapse Retail [rip-off] Ventures, Inc., to be able to bill me!!!!!!!  So beware of saying you'll accept three months of "free" magazines, because--this will not be free for you, and your credit card will be billed.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/16/2013 01:27 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Synapse-Retail-Venutres-Inc/Salt-Lake-City-Utah-84130/Synapse-Retail-Venutres-Inc-Synapse-Group-Inc-Books-a-Million-draws-customers-into-a-1015401. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Synapse Retail Venutres, Inc.