Complaint Review: Systemax, Inc., TigerDirect.com

• Updated: Mon, August 04, 2008

• Reported By:LA CRESCENTA California
Systemax, Inc., TigerDirect.com
www.tigerdirect.com Internet U.S.A.

Systemax, Inc., TigerDirect.com Refused to provide on-site service that was paid for and then refused to fully refund when demanded. Internet

I paid an extra amount for on-site service, but when I had to avail myself for the service I discovered that it would take a week or two to schedule. When I raised a fuss with the dispatcher, I later got a call from Systemax saying that its contractor refused to go to my premises, feeling unsafe. I was referred to contract language.

Pursuant to the fine print, the on-site service is worthless. Systemax retains the sole discretion whether or not to provide it. What a rip-off!

I went to an attorney who helped me write a legal letter "revoking acceptance" and demanding a full refund, plus retention of the computer system as security until I received it. Systemax offered a partial refund - but only if the equipment was first returned. Again, I was pointed to the contract which states as much. But under CA law, per my attorney, such language -- like the on-site sole discretion language -- is void as against public policy. Moreover, it also is an unfair and deceptive act and practice, violating CA's Consumers Legal Remedies Act.

Long story short. I filed a small claim suit and won about 3 times what Systemax offered me. Then I get a call, offering me only a portion of the judgment, stating that they have no other "interests" in CA and that it will be a hassle for me to go to New York to collect on the judgment.

I wonder how the CA Attorney General office will feel about Systemax doing business in the state, selling consumer products to CA citizens but thumbing its nose at CA court judgments. Not to mention that I am entitled to attorney fees and expenses for going to the trouble of collecting on the judgment. So I guess I need to turn this over to a lawyer and have him go legal on them.

This is a bad company. Greedy and very good at marketing, but disregard of consumer rights and honoring its warranties, etc. My attorney said that their sales contract and practices violate CA Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act in about 6 ways. But I see that they bought CompUSA and had record sales in Q1 2008.

Michael
LA CRESCENTA, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/04/2008 01:57 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Systemax-Inc-TigerDirectcom/internet/Systemax-Inc-TigerDirectcom-Refused-to-provide-on-site-service-that-was-paid-for-and-t-359053. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Systemax, Inc., TigerDirect.com