Complaint Review: T-Mobile

• Submitted: Wed, December 14, 2005
  • Updated: Sat, April 19, 2008

• Reported By:Kalamazoo Michigan
T-Mobile
12920 S.E. 38th St. Bellevue, Washington U.S.A.

T-Mobile Ripoff Billed Me for a Feature I Do Not Use Bellevue Washington

*UPDATE Employee: I'm so sick of the belly aching

*Consumer Comment: TMOBILE CHARGES FOR INCOMING TEXT MSGS

*Consumer Comment: It's a "feature"

*UPDATE Employee: There may be ways to block SMS/MMS

*Consumer Comment: i have tried doing the same thing

*Consumer Comment: Call them - feature is enabled by default on virtually all cell phone plans

T-mobile sent me a text message giving me my account password and billed me for it. I received another text message from a third party that I never asked for and again was billed. All in all, T-mobile billed me .40 for these messages. When I called T-mobile to request this "feature" be taken off my account, they said they couldn't remove the text messenging feature. I think Nextel was sued with a class action lawsuit a few years ago on this very issue.

The public does not have any control over receiving text messages, and, therefore, they shouldn't be charged. If they do this to everyone, they are making some extra money on the side for scaming their customers.

William
Mt. Morris, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/14/2005 09:52 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/T-Mobile/Bellevue-Washington-98006/T-Mobile-Ripoff-Billed-Me-for-a-Feature-I-Do-Not-Use-Bellevue-Washington-167877. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on T-Mobile

Here is your answer to why....
SMS (text messages) cannot be blocked because it will also block your ability to make/receive calls. This is because they run on the same network (GSM) and to block ones ability blocks the other because it stops GSM ability! So, please, before assuming that this can be done, please do some general research. If you work for another carrier, that is great....they DO NOT work on the exact same network!

Here is your answer to why....

I'm so sick of the belly aching

AUTHOR: Jon - (U.S.A.)

Hey compare tmobile to any carrier, and you'll see everyone gets complaints from people with nothing better to do, or better yet inflated senses of self worth. I have to listen to these ppl all day.....if ya'll wanna leave, do us a favor, and go to cingular, ruin their business. Thanks

TMOBILE CHARGES FOR INCOMING TEXT MSGS

AUTHOR: Darwin - (U.S.A.)

I really think this is a rip off from TMobile or any Phone company to deliberately not put a feature for customers to block text messages. I hate them and I get them and have constantly been putting up with the bully tactics of being responsible for text messages coming to me even from total strangers who text message someone and send it to me in error.

T Mobile set up a way for you to block emails but did not set up a way for you to block incoming messages. You can dial 911 numbers even if you locked your cellphone keypad. I hope some attorney pick up on this and people like myself are willing to step up and put an end to this nonsense.

It's a "feature"

AUTHOR: Doug - (U.S.A.)

I just got off the phone with a TMobile rep concerning this very issue. It seems universally agreed upon that TMobile intends to continue the practice of charging for unwanted message services until the complaints get too intense.

That being said, I've been with TMobile since they were selling bag phones (1996). They're a good company. The text messaging issue will probably go away if enough people complain.

Start barking, they will hear you. I didn't get the service disabled but they were kind enough to give me three months of free incoming messages in the hope that I would leave them alone for awhile.

There may be ways to block SMS/MMS

AUTHOR: Renee - (U.S.A.)

I've been a T-Mobile Customer Care Rep for two years, and I know for a fact that us front-line employees have NO WAY of blocking SMS or MMS from our end in the system. Any text message sent to you that was generated by our system, NOT THE WEBSITE, would have no charge. This is the main reason why we cannot block text messages. It is just one way we send important messages to our customers, such as billing notices, changes to caller tunes, and so forth. We have just recently established an anti-fraud feature, to send our customers these free text messages to notify them when changes were made to their accounts, such as contract renewals, address changes and phone orders placed.

Now, to address the first concern... Yes, to have your MyTMobile password sent to your phone does count as an incoming text message, and you would be charged if you don't have a text messaging "bucket" feature. Now you call in to Customer Care and complain enough, chances are they'll credit that small charge of $0.10.

Second issue: Incoming text messages remain in queue up to 72 hours from the time they are sent. So if your phone has been turned off then you turned it on, any messages that were sent to you within the previous 72 hours will all get sent to your phone at the same time. This feature was created to benefit those who temporarily went out of service area or whose phone hasn't been working and doesn't want to miss any messages. I hope this clarifies why you received all those messages at the same time.

Now, to stop outgoing messages, it's very easy. However, if the phone is being used by an end user, such as a youngster or teenager, let's just hope they don't figure out how to undo the trick. Every phone menu is different between Samsung, Nokia and Motorola. But go to the Messages menu and click on Text Messages. In there, you'll either see SMS Service Center or Service Center, or might even have to click on Settings and then you'll see those options. Select the Service Center and delete all the digits. The number you've just deleted is T-Mobile's Service Center Number. Your phone cannot sent a SMS without knowing where to send it through. So if the number is deleted or wrong, your phone will not be able to send a SMS. There, 1st problem solved! Now, if you're unsure how to get the Service Center Number, you can try to search under "Support" in our website T-Mobile.com or refer to your phone's user's manual.

Second option to block outgoing messages is if you have a Motorola phone: In the menu, click on "Settings"; click on "Security"; click on "Lock Application". It will then ask for a security password. The default is "1234". Then enable the lock on "Messaging".

To prevent incoming SMS is a little tricky. The ONLY way to stop incoming SMS is to log onto your account in T-mobile.com. Once logged in, click on the "Communications" link. On the left hand side, click on "Create Spam Filters". You can customize who you want to block from sending you text messages. You can also select "block incoming e-mails". This will block most spam and unwanted messages from marketers and third-parties.

I hope the information that I've provided has helped in any way. All of us at T-Mobile strive to provide the best customer service. If you received a poor customer service experience, please keep in mind this is not how we would want our customers to be treated. If you received another unsatisfactory treatment, you may request his/her Rep ID# or talk to his/her superior. We would make sure that the rep that you spoke with gets coached on proper customer service practices.

Chances are, your next call would be a much more pleasant one. =-)

i have tried doing the same thing

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

I understand what you are going through. I too have T-mobile and just waiting on end till my contract is over because this company is a fraud! I used to have a text messaging package for 9.99 and i got i think 1000 messages back and forth. I started working for another Cell phone company and decided to take the sms package off. I kept recieving text messages on my old cell phone and my girlfriend kept using my phone to text message, which came to an end because I just wanted the phone put up and again wait till the contract ended.

Well one day i turned the phone because i wanted to take a picture of something and i recieved 45 text messages all at once. some of them were from t-mobile some of them were from my old friends. I called T-mobile spoke to the girl who just works for the pay check and does not care for customers and asked if I could remove this feature from my plan as i do not want to be billed for anything extra. she simply said no. and did not explain why. I further let her know I work for a cell phone company and I know for a fact that you can block text messaging i do it about 20 times a day. she said well we are not YOUR cell phone company we dont block annnything and hung up on me! I kid you not she hung up!!!!!

I think this is poor customer service and if T-mobile wants to keep customers they need to start working with us because what about parents who give their kids phones and want to make sure there is not any extra usage...you cant really do anything with T-mobile...

Call them - feature is enabled by default on virtually all cell phone plans

AUTHOR: Jeff - (U.S.A.)

Unless you have a text messaging plan, text messages are $.10 to send and recieve with most cell phone companies. The feature is enabled by default on virtually all cell phone plans, and can be turned off just as easily by simply calling the carrier and asking them to disable SMS and MMS on your phone.

I'm sure they'll be happy to credit you the $.40, especially since you shouldn't be charged for text messages regarding your account sent by your wireless carier.