Complaint Review: T-Mobile

• Updated: Tue, March 16, 2010

• Reported By: ronkimmons — Provo Utah United States of America
T-Mobile

T-Mobile T-Mobile Uses Conveniently Confusing Methods to Measure Usage Internet

*UPDATE Employee: Just a suggestion based on my work.

On January 13, 2010, I decided to purchase a T-Mobile internet stick for my laptop, because it was necessary for my work.  I got the stick for free when I signed a year-long contract for 5GB of service for $49.99 per month.  I was warned by the salesman not to go over the 5GB limit, and when I got home and saw the Usage Meter on the Web Connect program, I didn't think that would be a problem.

Throughout our usage of the service, we have always kept watch on the Usage Meter to make sure that we would not go over, and we have never gone over the monthly usage limit on the Usage Meter.

On today, March 4, we received our second bill from T-Mobile - totaling 412.14!

Part of that was a late payment of a total of $57.84, and I accept full responsibility for the fact that it was late.  I went online and paid for that immediately.  (T-Mobile got to charge their additional fee for a late payment, so it's not like they have any reason to be unhappy about it.)

There was also the (normal) monthly charge of $49.99.

However, $304.31 of that was assessed as a "usage charge" because, according to them, we went over the limit by about 1545MB.

First off, let's break down the ratio difference of what they are charging here.  For the normal plan, they are charging $.0098/MB.  Once you go over 5MB, though, they will start charging you $.2/MB.  That's not exactly a central point for me, but I think it's worth pointing out.

Now, if we were always watching the Usage Meter so closely that we never went over, how was it that we went over so egregiously far that they slapped us with an extra $304.31 on our monthly bill?

Well, first off, despite what the sales guy had told me, the monthly billing cycle started on the 24th rather than the 14th, when I bought it.  And naturally, the Usage Meter was naturally set for the 14th.  Thus, according to the Usage Meter, from January 14th to February 14th, we were about 1GB below the limit for total usage.  However, little did we know that the billing cycle was actually cut into a smaller chunk (1/14-1/24) and then a whole month from January 24th to February 24th.  Because it was cut the way it was cut, our usage went over the limit by 1545MB for that month.

As I said, though, we were never aware of that until we got the bill today.  This was because I had never set the Usage Meter for the 24th - mostly due to the fact that I had never been told to do so.

Of course, when I called T-Mobile, it was my fault for not going to their website to check there.  Instead, I had made the mistake on relying on the software that THEY HAD PROVIDED on my computer.

After about two and a half hours on the phone, we did manage to get a bit of a reconciliation - in that they agreed to take the "usage charges" down to $150.  how charitable they are.

Why does T-Mobile provide two different ways of measuring usage, in such a way that it can cause confusion and lead to even the most conscientious of consumers to get $304 added to a monthly bill of $49.99?  Well, the answer is in the question.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/04/2010 05:15 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/T-Mobile/internet/T-Mobile-T-Mobile-Uses-Conveniently-Confusing-Methods-to-Measure-Usage-Internet-578263. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on T-Mobile

Just a suggestion based on my work.

AUTHOR: carmen - (United States of America)

I can't provide insight to any of your billing issues since I don't have any of the charts in front of me, and it would be like poking a sore wound to start spouting information without reviewing my numbers first.

However, one thing I've learned since I also do technical troubleshooting with the laptop sticks is there is a problem with the sticks, particularly the Jet and the WebConnect Manager.  If you improperly close the program during shut down of your computer, it will cause the manager to display incorrectly (sometimes not at all!).

What I recommend that you do is, while the data stick is out of the USB port, to remove the Manager program from your computer.  Reinsert the stick and allow the program to reinstall itself like it did the last time.

If it continues to display improper usage, when you're in the automated system, demand the system to take you to technical support.  You will hit -a- tech care rep.  They will start troubleshooting with you, and if necessary escalate you to another to file a help desk or trouble ticket.

Once the issue is resolved, call back and advise Customer Care to review the memos.  It's a heck of a lot easier to get you a -full- credit when a supervisor sees it was a tech issue and not you.