Complaint Review: TCF BANK

• Submitted: Mon, June 02, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, June 02, 2008

• Reported By:LAKEWOOD Colorado
TCF BANK
6400 S. Fiddlers Green Cir., STE. 800 Englewood, Colorado U.S.A.
  • Phone: 888-823-2840
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

TCF BANK They charged me $151 in overdraft fees because a check I deposited was not good, even though I was assured it was. Englewood Colorado

*Consumer Comment: Not a rip off...

*Consumer Comment: When are YOU going to

*Consumer Comment: Why are you upset at the bank?

Because of a check I deposited into my account at TCF bank was not good, even though the person assured me it was, they charged me $151 in bounced checks! The initial check was for $60 and now they have stolen $151 from my account. This should be illegal. How does a $60 check warrant the bank getting $151? Why couldn't they have called me and told me the check did not clear? I made the mistake of trusting the wrong person, but TCF had no right to take that much money from me. When is our government going to start protecting the consumer instead of big corporations?!

Marilyn
LAKEWOOD, Colorado

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/02/2008 11:08 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/TCF-BANK/Englewood-Colorado-80111/TCF-BANK-They-charged-me-151-in-overdraft-fees-because-a-check-I-deposited-was-not-good-336375. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on TCF BANK

Not a rip off...

AUTHOR: Edgeman - (U.S.A.)

Quote: Because of a check I deposited into my account at TCF bank was not good, even though the person assured me it was, they charged me $151 in bounced checks!

That sucks, no doubt about it. However, the bank was within their rights to charge the fees.

Quote: The initial check was for $60 and now they have stolen $151 from my account.

They didn't steal it. They charged you for the insufficient funds amount plus the fees that you agreed to when you opened your account.

Quote: This should be illegal.

Irrelevant. If the bank disclosed the fees in the new account packet, then they are legal.

Quote: How does a $60 check warrant the bank getting $151?

I don't know the specific amounts in your case, but it generally goes that you pay the amount you are overdrawn plus a fee for every transaction that put your balance in the negative. Pull out your new account packet that you received from the bank when you first opened your account. It will be in the fee schedule.

Quote: Why couldn't they have called me and told me the check did not clear?

Because as account holders, it is our responsibility to know precisely what our balance is before we spend the funds in our accounts.

Quote: I made the mistake of trusting the wrong person, but TCF had no right to take that much money from me.

By opening and using that account, you accepted their terms and conditions. Your best bet is to try and get the money from the person who wrote the bad check. I'd advise you to insist on cash.

Quote: When is our government going to start protecting the consumer instead of big corporations?!

It's not the government's responsibility to manage your bank account.

Having said all that, I do feel sympathy for you. That's a lousy situation this person put you into.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

#3 Consumer Suggestion

#4 Consumer Suggestion

When are YOU going to

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

sue the person that gave you the bum check???

The person who gave you the bum check owes you the money. Every bank I have ever dealt with, including banks in Europe has a "deposit availability" policy in writing and available to account holders.

I suggest you go after the "crook" who gave you the rubber check. You should SUE this person in your local small claims court. Your suit should include the amount of the check and all the fees your bank has assessed to you as well as the court costs.

As soon as YOU file a suit is small claims court, the GOVERNMENT will gladly assist you in getting you the money you are owed by the person who gave you the check/wrote the check.

Good luck.

Why are you upset at the bank?

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Well what was illegal is what the person did when they gave you the BAD check.

Regardless of the reason you did spend more than was in your account. So the bank has every right to charge you an overdraft fees. The bank does not know the check is bad until it gets returned from the other bank. Even if they did call you if you had already spent the money you still would have overdrafted. Do you expect the bank to take the loss?

You are correct that you trusted the wrong person. But you need to go after that person and not the bank not only for the $60, but any fees that they caused you.