Complaint Review: TCF BANK

• Submitted: Mon, December 26, 2005
  • Updated: Fri, August 18, 2006

• Reported By:Port Orchard Washington
TCF BANK
801 Marquette Avenue South Minneapolis, Minnesota U.S.A.
  • Phone: 877-823-5363
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

TCF BANK Harrassment - Attempt to Collect Discharged Debt after Ch 7 BK RIPOFF Minneapolis Minnesota

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: EX EMPLOYEE

*Author of original report: Stephanie Tousant is with TCF, I believe

*Consumer Suggestion: TCF Ripped me off too... but I had the last laugh

*Consumer Suggestion: Cynthia

I was contacted TWICE by telephone today by "Stephanie" at TCF Bank, calling from a Colorado office. Imagine my shock when she told me I had a balance due on my TCF loan account and wanted me to offer something to "settle" it. This debt was discharged in a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy 6 months ago.

When I informed her of this, she began a song and dance routine about how this debt was not covered by the BK because they had written it off before I filed. When I told her they would have had to respond to the BK notice to object, she responded they were not required to respond at all since they had already "written off" the account (???). This is all ridiculous, because they had stopped contacting me when I filed BK, but now, out of the blue, she calls me during the last week of December and tells me that I still owe a balance and they can begin litigation for it.

"Stephanie" and TCF Bank have violated a permanent injunction against contacting me and trying to collect a debt listed in the BK that had been discharged. It really shocks me that a supposedly reputable company would behave in a blatantly illegal manner -- lying in order to try to collect some money on a discharged debt before the end of the year. I believe I could take TCF to court over this and they would be fined, and they'd also have to pay my court costs and also possibly a settlement.

Has anyone else had this type of problem with TCF Consumer Lending?

Cynthia
Port Orchard, Washington

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/26/2005 06:59 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/TCF-BANK/Minneapolis-Minnesota-55402/TCF-BANK-Harrassment-Attempt-to-Collect-Discharged-Debt-after-Ch-7-BK-RIPOFF-Minneapolis-169348. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on TCF BANK

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

EX EMPLOYEE

AUTHOR: Terri - (U.S.A.)

I worked for TCF consumer lending. The branch I worked at is now closed. It was not uncommon for employees to throw away requests for loan payoff balances, mislead customers as to the type of loan they have and even place additional services on accounts hoping that the consumer wouldn't notice them. What you have gone through is very typical. They are masters at misleading and lying to their customers. All banks are regulated, you can turn them into the office of the Attorney General for your state. Good luck

Stephanie Tousant is with TCF, I believe

AUTHOR: Cyn - (U.S.A.)

When she calls, the caller ID says "TCF National Bank", and there is actually a TCF loan center and holding company in Colorado. I actually dealt with this woman by phone when I fell behind in payments, BEFORE I filed BK.

It's the same person and I believe she works for TCF, but her behaviour is very, very strange.
She just opened up a whole can of worms -- opened up the door for TCF Bank to be fined by the court and even for me to win a judgement against them.

BTW, I haven't heard from her again since December 26, when she was threatening litigation.
If I hear anything more, TCF Bank will be hearing from my attorney and maybe even the Bankruptcy Court.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

TCF Ripped me off too... but I had the last laugh

AUTHOR: Greg - (U.S.A.)

TCF is one of the WORST banks in the general Midwest area.

Earlier this year I had a joint checking account with my ex-wife. I had moved from the Chicago area to get away from her and her antics. Well, my ex-wife decided to withdraw (illegally) almost all of the money in the bank account, leaving me stranded 80 miles from home, with no money.

TCF's stance (even though I fair warned them that my ex-wife was going to do this) was that because it was a joint account, that there was no reason to not let my ex-wife withdraw money from it. (At the time of this incident, my ex-wife was unemployed, and was in an affair)

TCF tried to make my life miserable, and put a negative report on Chex Systems. However, I disputed it, and it was removed by Chex Systems, after TCF never responded to Chex Systems' letter. TCF also disobeyed a court order removing my ex-wife off of the account.

My suggestion to consumers is close your accounts at TCF if you don't want to be ripped off by a jilted ex-spouse.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Cynthia

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

I bet that person is not an employee of the bank.

Call the bank and ask to speak with that person. I bet she does not exist.

My money says it is a collector for a debt buyer that purchased that bad debt from the bank.

Send a cease communications letter and file the FTC complaint.