Complaint Review: TCF Bank

3175 E Platte Ave Colorado Springs, Colorado United States of America
  • Phone: 8008232265
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

TCF Bank charged return item fee when they placed another account on hold without notice Colorado Springs, Colorado

*Author of original report: They never did anything

*Consumer Comment: Seems to me like another tactic...

A friend opened a TCF account with $100 cash, all was fine, had checks and card on the way. 2 days after he opened the account he wrote me a check for $43, which I deposited in my TCF account.

Somehow his account was placed on hold after that because they needed more information (even though it was never mentioned to him). Now they have returned the check, and I have been charged a $15 return item fee. I called TCF and they said they won't reverse because this is my fault. How is it my fault if you place an account hold hold after a check is written? There was cash in his account, but you deposited the check even though it was on hold, and charged me $15 for it.

This is ridiculous, and this fee should be reversed immediately. As I mentioned I tried calling, but they refuse to do anything about it. This is just another ridiculous fee being charged.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/31/2009 08:49 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/TCF-Bank/Colorado-Springs-Colorado-80909/TCF-Bank-charged-return-item-fee-when-they-placed-another-account-on-hold-without-notice-517760. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on TCF Bank

They never did anything

AUTHOR: Russ - (USA)

Sorry for not updating in forever. The bank constantly refused to reverse the fee (even after talking to regional managers). I ended up closing my account with them as I didn't want to deal with their crap.

Seems to me like another tactic...

AUTHOR: Ronny g - (USA)

When there is any kind of a "change" in condition or policy that can in any way yield a bank a fee..it seems it always goes that way. But when the situation is reversed..don't expect the bank to pay you and fee.  And welcome to the new world..I call it the "world of one sided banking".

The bank is KING, judge, jury and executioner..and the customers and general public are mere peasants and nothing but cash cows in the banks eyes.

With that said..if what you state is true...I would be very persistent with this bank..keep calling customer service and asking to speak to supervisors and managers....go to the bank relentlessly and keep asking to speak with the manager. I have a feeling you may get the fee returned.

It can't be your fault if going by the report you left. It would amount to nothing but petty theft if the bank does not make good.