Complaint Review: TCF Bank

• Updated: Thu, December 15, 2011

• Reported By: CD — Howell Michigan United States of America
TCF Bank
3857 East Grand River, Howell, MI Howell, Michigan United States of America

TCF Bank Howell Office Excessive Fees allowed TCF to Steal my money Howell, Michigan

I had $1 in my account...not much, but not overdrawn and I use direct deposit - so should fine according to the "free" checking I signed up for.  Suddenly I am charged a fee of $9.95 without any warning or notice, and that fee overdrafted my account.  Fortunately no checks or auto withdrawals were coming out because when I went into the bank to ask what was going on, I was told they planned to charge me $28 a day for 15 days (or $429.95) if I didn't pay up their fees immediately (the immediate fees were $65 already and more coming).  Had I checks drawn onthe account, it would have been on top of this!

So I said I'd like to close the account.  They refused to allow it (so of course the fees will continue to rack up) unless I paid their hostage fee.  I have another account with them for my business and they refused to give me money in that account as well - holding it hostage.  The account would not have even gone negative except for the fact they invented new fees without notice! So essentially they stole money from both of my accounts to pay their excessive $429.95 fees because I only had $1 in the account until my direct depost is deposited - and by the time it's deposited, there will be nothing to deposit because they will have stolen it all. Strongly recommend you don't use this bank!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/15/2011 02:34 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/TCF-Bank/Howell-Michigan-48843/TCF-Bank-Howell-Office-Excessive-Fees-allowed-TCF-to-Steal-my-money-Howell-Michigan-809937. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on TCF Bank