Complaint Review: TCF Bank

• Submitted: Sun, February 08, 2004
  • Updated: Thu, March 18, 2004

• Reported By:Richfield Minnesota
TCF Bank
801 Marquette Ave Minneapolis, Minnesota U.S.A.
  • Phone: 612-823-2265
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

TCF Bank Ripoff - Non TCF ATM Fees Minneapolis Minnesota

*Author of original report: Online banking has alot of flaws

*Consumer Comment: Addition & Clarification

*Consumer Comment: The Contract for ATM fees is vague..

*Consumer Suggestion: atm fees are an industry standard

I recently was the victim of a gouging by TCF Bank in Minneapolis, MN. I want to tell everyone to be aware of this and to document their experience on this website.

Most of you are aware of TCF and their extra charges for Non TCF ATM Fees.

This is stated in their contract that you sign when you apply for the ATM card which is all fine. They don't tell you though how much they charge. Anytime you use the card at a different machine other than TCF, TCF will charge you anywhere from 1.50-6.50 to use that machine. There is no where documented what charges apply to the use of what machines, i.e., Cirrus, Plus, or private less popular ones.

I recently went to PA on Business and came home. 2 weeks later I got my statement and it was already too late. HERE are the facts. I had only 65.00 dollars in my account when I return from Phillie. I wrote 7 small checks. At the end of the statement cycle they take a lump sum for the ATM fees so they deduct 70 dollars in Non-ATM fees out which overdrew my account by about 5.00. Then, They charged me 31.00 for being over drawn. So I am over drawn 36.00 bucks. Now the checks come in. All small one totally about 50.00. that brings my account to -86.00 and then 155.00 in late fees. The total now stand at
-$231.00.

I am unaware of the overdrafts but know by experience that I am getting close thinking I still have money in my account. I deposit 150.00 in my account thinking that I have this to spend. the balance is now at -$81.00 and write $100 more checks.

They bounced and my total is now -$336.00, The next day 5 more checks ($35.00 worth) coming in. I think I have $50 left to spend and that these checks are covered. NOT!! Checks plus ISF charges = -$526.00. WHEW! It's payday!!!!

I deposit my paycheck for $1000 is deposit. Unbenounce to me my balance is only 474.00 and I think I have over 1,000 dollars to write for bills. $800 worth of checks are written and thinking I am still above water and write out $800 dollars. Long story short damages = -326.00 (balance) 465.00 in bank fees.

Now the interesting part comes.... My first notice from TCF 4 days after the first check bounced. I soon start to dread the mailman.... day after day. More fees and More fees... When will it all stop.!!! 12 days after I finally figure out what started this whole thing when the statement finally came.... The NON-ATM FEES!!!

They deduct a $70 lump sum of ATM Fees instead of deducting them as they came in which makes more sense. Grand Total... TCF made 620.00 off that $70 charge which I didnt know was going to be. There goes Christmas. I Wrote TCF and was able to recover a few of the overdraft fees but it did significant damage to my financial situation.

some points I would like to make.
If the statement ends on the 23rd of one month, Why does it take them 12 days to mail it out.

Why does it take them 4 days to send you out an overdraft notice? By the time you get your first notice you could possible have 620.00 worth of overdrafts before you find out you are overdrawn. Why is TCF taking out a lump sum for Non- ATM fees instead of as they come in during the month!?

why can't TCF put a message on the statement saying that "In 21 days a sum of $70 will be taken from your account and you will need to adjust your register by this date." At least this way you would be able to have an idea of what the hell to expect.

I have learned a very expensive lesson an that is to automatically deduct an extra 5 dollars off everytime I use an ATM. This is a big trap for alot of people. I dread the people who arent as organized with their check book. TCF is preying and raping their unsuspecting customers. They can literally make millions each month by these questionable practices.

Since this episode I have involved the attorney general's office and the Dept of Commerce... Do not hestitate to utilize these individual agencies.. And by all means!!! DOCUMENT EVERYTHING YOU WENT THROUGH HERE AND ON PAPER! They need to hear this kind of banking behavior so legislation can change and outlaw this scandal. I pitting the person whose entire Welfare check has to go to TCF to cover their account because of something that they were unware of.

I am starting to get responses from these agencies and now have hired an attorney. I will update this information as I find out the fate of this incident. I definitely have some legal action to take.

I need to hear about your experiences for my case. I cant be alone out there!

Thanks for listening!

James
Richfield, Minnesota

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/08/2004 05:51 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/TCF-Bank/Minneapolis-Minnesota-55417/TCF-Bank-Ripoff-Non-TCF-ATM-Fees-Minneapolis-Minnesota-79635. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on TCF Bank

Online banking has alot of flaws

AUTHOR: James - (U.S.A.)

Thanks Jessica

Jessica I really appreciate your comments. I want to clarify this again. These are not the fees that the ATM owner changes, it is the fee that TCF is charging on top of the fee that is charged at the machine.

Yes, TCF did charge me for overdrawing my account with these fee.

I dont believe On line banking is the answer.

You should have to make checking accounts a dependency and something you have to do everyday to make sure you know how much they are charging you for services.

Online banking has alot of flaws in it and it is supposed to make life easier. Checking your account doesnt make it easier. And checking your account every day doesn't solve the issue. They compile all the non-TCF Fees (in addition to the one that you are charged at the machine) and charge you at the end of the statement. If you cant guesstimate the charges, you will be over drawn and not find out you are overdrawn until 10 days later or when you notice or receive the overdrafts.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Jessica - (U.S.A.)

I have had much experience with these ATM fees, but I wouldn't consider myself a victime, because as stated before, if you don't read the agreement, you won't know what you're being charged.

I can say this in TCF's defense: They are charged these fees by the ATM owners, and generally do not profit from them at all.

Futhermore, after talking to one of the managers (NOT a teller or phone customer service rep, they either won't have the power or have to go by set rules) we were able to get these fees removed.

Lastly, our TCF manager told us that they cannot charge a "fee on a fee" such as an overdraft for Non-TCF ATM fees.

Bottom line, sign up for Online banking (free at TCF) and CHECK IT EVERY DAY! You will notice faster if these things happen, and you will be able to stop it before $500 on fees are charged. The worst thing you can do is assume that there's money in your account. AND, use your check card whenever possible instead of checks...then the money comes out automatically and there won;t be "surprise bounces".

#3 Consumer Suggestion

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Addition & Clarification

AUTHOR: James - (U.S.A.)

The ATM fees are not the fees posted on the individual machines you use. They are the fees that TCF charges you on top of the fee that is posted on the machine. so if the non tcf machine charges you 1.75... TCF could charge you 5.00 on top of that. The 5.00 and the other non tcf machine fees are accumulated at the end of the month and then taken out all at once. During the month and after such a ATM transaction is made you wont be able to know how much TCF charged you until it is taken out at cut off time. TCF CHARGES you a different rate depending on the machine............

The Contract for ATM fees is vague..

AUTHOR: Thomas - (U.S.A.)

It doesn't tell you how much they are going to charge you for using a non TCF ATM Machine. At that is the kicker. They dont tell you how much they charge you for the different machines you use. it is any where from 1.50 to 6.50 depending on the machine. Unless you call the bank everyday you dont know what the charge will be... and on top of it all they take it all out at the end of the month... so you dont know what the fees are until it is too late. If this is the industry standard it really stinks and needs to be changed.

#7 Consumer Suggestion

atm fees are an industry standard

AUTHOR: Sarah - (U.S.A.)

Foreign ATM fees are an industry standard. TCF isn't the only bank that does this, in fact I have yet to find one that doesn't. Unless you have some kind of high minimum balance interest bearing account or you are a senior citizen you are most likely going to have a fee schedule that you need to be aware of. Remember that banks are not charities, they have to make a profit in order to operate, so you have to have your eyes open and undersand their terms because they are going to try to charge you somehow. Wherever you open an account, you're given some information in writing, which is the terms of the account. It's really important that you skim through that, they really aren't as difficult to understand as you think they are. But if you go ahead using an account without knowing it's terms then this kind of thing is bound to happen. The banks fee is not variable, they'll charge you a certain fee based on what kind of machine it is, and they tell you how that works in the terms of the account. And yes, the fees are charged on your cut date, so it's your responsibility to keep track. So that's what the bank charges you, it's all outlined in your contract and if you don't know about it that's your own fault for not reading the terms. You expressed frustration that the bank doesn't tell you about the 1.50-6.00 that you are charged at the time of the withdrawal. Well, that's ridiculous because there is no way that they can. They inform you there may be a fee but they can't tell you how much it is, they does not charge you this fee, this fee is charged to you by the owner of that ATM machine and is set by the owner of that particular machine, so it is variable. You are told how much the fee will be at the time of the withdrawal and you have to choose either yes or no. If you don't want to pay it, simply choose no. I have never worked for a bank, I actually work in insurance, but even as a non-banker please take my advice and read the terms of any account or contract you enter into even if you think you don't need to. I'm sure you've probably closed your account with the bank and will open one somewhere else, and you'll find that other banks really aren't that much different. Some are worse, at least TCF was gracious enough to reverse some of your fees, even though it wasn't a bank error. It is a good lesson to everyone, though, to make sure you know how the account works. All of the instructions are easy to obtain. If you do, you can get by not paying the bank hardly anything ever. As adults we have a responsibility to be informed about things, and it's really not that hard since it's all spelled out to you in english. P.S. I've been a happy TCF customer for several years. They are probably the most reasonable bank i've ever dealt with.