Complaint Review: TOMTOM

• Reported By: SNEVMAN — APO AE New York
TOMTOM
150 Baker Ave. Internet United States of America

TOMTOM FAILED TO PROVIDE LIFETIME MAP UPDATES AS PROMISED, Internet

On  06 April 2013, I logged onto TOMTOMs website to initialize new GO 2535TM WTE and to activate lifetime maps promotion. Once activated, I noticed that it only activated lifetime maps for USA, CANADA and MEXICO.

I called the customer service desk, at 866-486-6866 at 1645 hrs CET and was connected to Javier at customer support. I told him the problem and he insisted that the lifetime maps did not include Europe. I read to him verbatim from the TOMTOM website that I should have lifetime maps for Europe as well, see below, and he put me on hold to speak with a supervisor.

When he returned to the phone he informed me that he activated the lifetime maps for Europe in addition to US, Canada and Mexico. I logged off the TOMTOM website and logged back on, only to identify that lifetime maps has not been enabled for Europe.

I called customer support again and spoke with Ivan. He indicated that although the web site and packaging do not state lifetime maps are limited to USA, CA and Mexico and dont include Europe, he is sorry and that is the deal. I referred him to TOMTOMs website and spoke to him of the packaging but he stood his ground. I asked to speak with a supervisor.

James, the supervisor, came on the phone and insisted that although the advertising, web pages, packaging and information provided by retailers clearly states that lifetime map updates are included, it only applies to USA, CA and Mexico and they do not have the ability to activate this feature.

I was provided the following case reference number: 130407000179.

As you can see, in two places on this website, TOMTOM makes clear reference to lifetime maps as a feature when purchasing this item; at the second reference they even show a map adjacent to the statement that prominently displays the continent of Europe. Prior to seeking resolution through a consumer protection agency, I was hoping that TOMTOM would do the right thing and live up to your commitment.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/08/2013 12:38 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/TOMTOM/internet/TOMTOM-FAILED-TO-PROVIDE-LIFETIME-MAP-UPDATES-AS-PROMISED-Internet-1041572. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on TOMTOM