• Report: #719100

• Reported By: Julie90 — New York United States of America
Taco Bell / KFC
56 Glen Cove Road Greenvale, New York United States of America

Taco Bell / KFC - NO SECURITY CAMERAS!!! Greenvale, New York

*Consumer Comment: Your fault. No theirs.

*Consumer Comment: Call your carrier...

*General Comment: Sorry to inform you.

*Consumer Comment: Why was your phone out to begin with?

*Consumer Comment: He needs to report his cell phone lost to his cell phone company that way they can turn It off to preven the thief from using It and they send him a replacement cell phone

*Consumer Comment: Honesty is not Bullying

*Consumer Comment: Your fault.. not Taco Bells

*Consumer Comment: Just ignore these morons these commentators love to gang up on somebody and pick on them they have nothing better to do when they get home from their so called job to harass people on this site

*Consumer Comment: You accidentally left your phone and washed it???

*Consumer Comment: Looks

*Consumer Comment: These bullies just need somebody to pick on today and you are the lucky winner I would warn people not to actually post their greif because they will get more grief on this site

*Consumer Suggestion: The REAL mistake

*Consumer Comment: IPHONE

*Consumer Comment: Cameras

*General Comment: Fools and their phones...

*Consumer Comment: Insurance?

*Consumer Comment: Why Didn't you......

*Consumer Comment: Julie90

*Consumer Comment: Maybe?

*Consumer Comment: Call me silly

*Consumer Comment: Just wondering.

*Author of original report: Aren't you a smart cookie

*Consumer Comment: Here's a suggestion for you...

*Consumer Comment: WHY?

*Consumer Comment: Are you serious??

Hello all,

I write to you today to explain my sad and unfortunate story.  Not too long ago, I went to grab some lunch at Taco Bell / KFC located at 56 Glen Cove Road, Greenvale, NY 11548.

Holding a plate of food in one hand, and an empty cup waiting to be filled in the other, I proceeded to get a drink.  I put the plate of food down along with my phone, filled my cup with some Seltzer and quickly went over to my table to put the cup down.  Upon returning to get my plate of food, I noticed my phone was nowhere to be found.  Immediately, I started asking everyone if they had seen it, nobody saw it.  For those who are wondering, I had the 32GB iPhone 4, it was a little over a month old.

Not knowing what to do, I went to ask the employees for help.  What a night mare that was!  Almost none of them spoke English, wtf?!  Eventually, the supervisor came out and called the Police.  Within 10 minutes an officer has arrived to assist me, what we learned next shocked us all!

Turns out, the Taco Bell / KFC located at 56 Glen Cove Road, Greenvale, NY 11548 does NOT have any security cameras; not inside, not on the cash register, not in the parking lot, not anywhere important!  However, it does have a camera in the drive-thru.  Yeah, that's going to do them any good.

Anywho, I ended up purchasing a new 32GB iPhone 4 for retail price, that really hurt.

I am here today for two reasons -

1) The Taco Bell / KFC this incident has occurred in should've had at least a security camera filming the cash register.  What if some crazy person decides to rob them and kill an innocent person?  They would have NO way of ever finding that person.

2) Because this whole situation could've been avoided, I want a refund, not partial, but a full refund.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/18/2011 02:41 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Taco-Bell-KFC/Greenvale-New-York-11548/Taco-Bell-KFC-NO-SECURITY-CAMERAS-Greenvale-New-York-719100. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Taco Bell / KFC

Your fault. No theirs.

AUTHOR: center of attention - (USA)

You have no one to blame but yourself for leaving an expensive piece of electronics out for someone to steal. The fact that the restaurant doesn't have a security camera is irrelevant. They're under no legal obligation to film every square inch of their establishment.

Sounds to me like you want to shift blame.....

Call your carrier...

AUTHOR: Edgeman - (U.S.A.)

Call your carrier and report the phone as stolen. iPhones are easy enough to trace. Taco Bell does not owe you a free lunch because you were stupid enough to leave a highly valued phone out in public unattended. Next time put it in your pocket or your purse.

#3 General Comment

Sorry to inform you.

AUTHOR: sillyrob - (USA)

No place of business takes responsibility for lost/stolen items. Ever. It's your responsibility to not set a nice phone unattended at a place like Taco Bell. So, you can go on the internet and sound like a child, or you can be an adult and admit that you messed up. Which is it going to be?

Why was your phone out to begin with?

AUTHOR: Jim Martin - (USA)

Ok, you just ordered your food.  Now, what made you pull your phone out while standing in line waiting for your order to be filled.

As far as leaving with your phone with your food, why would that be an option.  I don't buy those expensive $300+ phones.  The most I have ever spent on a phone is $50.  I also dont leave my phone lying around anywhere.

I live in an apartment by myself and I still keep it in my pocket at all times, unless I am using it or sleeping.  When I am sleeping, It goes in a lockbox with my wallet and keys.

Maybe I am just paranoid, but I would never have even considered leaving anything at the counter while I put my drink on a table.  But that is just me, I am the person who locks thier car up while paying at the pump, so I quess I am a little paranoid.

Taco Bell has nothing to do with this.  Just because it happened in thier store, does not make it thier fault.  Even if they had cameras pointed directly at your tray, that does not mean anything would have been caught.

While I do feel sorry for you that this happened, it was your own stupidity for leaving your phone.  Period.

Call your phone company and report it stolen.

AUTHOR: SickOfBullies - (USA)

He needs to report his cell phone lost to his cell phone company.   That way they can turn It off to preven the thief from using It and they send him a replacement cell phone.  Problem solved.

Honesty is not Bullying

AUTHOR: JustAnotherConsumer - (USA)

To "SickofBullying": While I agree with you that there are some people on this site who just seem to post negative feedback and/or ridiculous replies, I do not believe I fall into that category. My response to the OP was intended to show her the error of her thinking and to try to educate her a bit on taking personal responsibility for her actions & mistakes. For this reason, I quoted the various statements she made and responded to each one. I do not believe I bullied the OP. I may not have been terribly sympathetic, but that isn't bullying.

The facts speak for themselves: Taco Bell/KFC did NOT rip off the OP, yet she filed a report here claiming they did. That alone warranted a response in their favor. In addition, I had an issue with her sense of entitlement when she said, "Because this whole situation could've been avoided, I want a refund, not partial, but a full refund." The situation she described was clearly her own fault and the restaurant had no fault in the matter. She needed to understand that and learn how to be more responsible. Instead, after I pointed out the error in her thinking, she responded back like a spoiled child, stating "Oh well, I hope this happens to you soon."

I am sick and tired of people who think the world owes them something for nothing. I have no problem pointing out the error of this type of thinking. Especially when there are numerous facts that back up my opinion (i.e., the sequence of events, as described by OP). Being honest to someone is not being a bully. Sometimes the truth hurts a little, but those are usually the lessons we can learn the most from if we open our eyes and admit our own faults.

Your fault.. not Taco Bells

AUTHOR: Dgreens - (United States of America)

I'm not trying to be a "hater" and I really am sorry your phone was stolen.

Here's the issue here... site is for people who are victims of outright fraud and are actually being ripped off by shady, less than reputable companies. Taco Bell not having security cameras does not qualify as they have NO obligation legally to have them.

Numero Uno in protecting your property...is you. And you have already admitted negligence in that regard by leaving your property unattended in a busy, public  restaurant.
Just ignore these morons these commentators love to gang,   up on somebody and pick on them. They have nothing better to do when they get home from their so called job to harass people on this site.

You accidentally left your phone and washed it???

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

What a d'mass!

Looks

AUTHOR: Stacey - (U.S.A.)

Like Charles is back under another name - as for the OP this is all on you.  I never, ever leave my items unattended.  Last year I accidentially left my phone and washed it.  Do I get to sue Kenmore??? Case closed.

AUTHOR: SickOfBullies - (USA)

These bullies just need somebody to pick on today and you are the lucky winner.

#12 Consumer Suggestion

The REAL mistake

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

Was putting your LIFE in Taco Bell's hands by EATING there.

IPHONE

AUTHOR: Inspector - (USA)

You can track it as long as you know the number.

Cameras

AUTHOR: Inspector - (USA)

In fast food resturants and many other stores the security camera is aimed at the cash register to prevent or catch the employee stealing.  Robbery would be covered by insurance.  Employee theft accounts for the largest percentage of store losses.

#15 General Comment

Fools and their phones...

AUTHOR: Jes0125 - (U.S.A.)

...are soon parted.

Of course no one has any sympathy for you.  You did a foolish thing and you are 100% responsible for the results of YOUR foolish action.

Instead of taking responsability for your own actions you file a baseless complaint in a consumer website about a restaurant that HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE LOSS OF YOUR PHONE.

You my friend...are an idiot.

Insurance?

AUTHOR: Bigcraig - (U.S.A.)

Did you have insurance on it? For a few bucks a month you can avoid this next time your so careless, and I would tell you the same thing to your face.

Also even if they had video of the theft you probably will not get it without a court order to protect the establishment

Why Didn't you......

AUTHOR: Lawrence - (USA)

Ask someone to use thier phone and call your cell phone number, that way you could have heard it ring and you'd have found the culprit. That would have been my very first move.

BTW: Nobody owes you a darn thing.

Julie90

AUTHOR: Brian - (United States of America)

"Had this actually happened to you, you wouldn't be talking like that.  Had it been your hard earned money, you won't be saying any of this."

Had this happened to me, I never would have submitted a ripoff report to begin with.  You lost your Iphone due to your own negliegence.  Taco Bell/KFC doesn't owe you one red cent.  Even if they had security cameras, the person that grabbed your phone left immediately.  They weren't going to hang out and wait for the cops to show up.  Time to step up, put on your big girl pants, and accept responsibility for your own actions.

Maybe?

AUTHOR: coast - (USA)

"maybe it was wrong of me to leave my things unattended"

Maybe? You just don't get it.

Call me silly

AUTHOR: Susan - (USA)

Call me silly but if I am not using my phone, I  keep it in either my purse or my pocket (if I am wearing my winter coat).

Dont those fancy 32GB iPhone 4s have built in GPS on them or is that an app?

Either way, "this whole situation could've been avoided" if your phone was more important to you than walking off without it to put your drink on a table.

Just wondering.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, you had 3 $100 bills in your hand instead of an iPhone.

"  I put the plate of food down along with my phone  $300, filled my cup with some Seltzer and quickly went over to my table to put the cup down."

Would the above scenario have played out the same?  Would you leave a big wad of cash unatttended at the drink dispenser of a fast food restaurant?   Do you see any difference between the two?

The restaurant is not responsible for your dumb actions.

Aren't you a smart cookie

AUTHOR: Julie90 - (United States of America)

It's easy to sit behind the computer and act tough with your keyboard.  Had this actually happened to you, you wouldn't be talking like that.  Had it been your hard earned money, you won't be saying any of this.

True, maybe it was wrong of me to leave my things unattended for a minute, but i'm not perfect and neither are you.  Please tell me that you have never done this.  I have never taken anything that wasn't mine and expect the same from others, but I know that's unrealistic.  If your'e familiar with Greenvale and the surrounding area, you wouldn't expect people to steal.

Oh well, I hope this happens to you soon.

Here's a suggestion for you...

AUTHOR: JustAnotherConsumer - (USA)

I'm pretty sure it's a safe assumption that you don't have video surveillance at your house. So, just send me your address and I'll drive my car over there, park in your driveway, leave the keys in it and walk away. Once someone steals it, you can buy me a new car and I'll buy you a new iPhone? Sound reasonable? Yeah... didn't think so!

WHY?

AUTHOR: Cory - (U.S.A.)

Why should they refund you the price of your LUNCH and DRINK? I mean was there something wrong with the meal? I had the hardest time teaching my FIVE YEAR OLD GRANDSON not to leave his toy at the table where some other kid would make off with it.  Beside the fact that no fast food places have cameras aimed at the seating areas?

Are you serious??

AUTHOR: JustAnotherConsumer - (USA)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

"Holding a plate of food in one hand, and an empty cup waiting to be filled in the other, I proceeded to get a drink."
You must have been holding the phone as well during this time. Why were you able to hold all 3 items before you filled your drink but not after?

"I put the plate of food down along with my phone, filled my cup with some Seltzer and quickly went over to my table to put the cup down."
So, a cheap cup of Seltzer is more important than your one-month old 32BG iPhone 4? And who in the world leaves a phone and food unattended in a common area of a fast-food restaurant??? If you dropped it, that would make sense. However, you clearly indicate you WILLINGLY set it down and walked away.

"Turns out, the Taco Bell / KFC located at 56 Glen Cove Road, Greenvale, NY 11548 does NOT have any security cameras; not inside, not on the cash register, not in the parking lot, not anywhere important!"
They are not obligated to record (video or stills). Would it have been helpful? Sure. Changed the outcome? Maybe, although I highly doubt the thief hung around just to watch you freak out over your stolen phone.

This is the line that just amazes me!! YOU set your phone down. YOU walked away. The restaurant didn't steal your phone; apparently someone IN the restaurant did. However, it was a direct result of YOUR negligence not theirs! Do you really expect them to compensate you because you're too dense to figure out that it is completely idiotic to leave a fairly-expensive phone unattended, in a common area of a fast-food restaurant, during lunch hour? WTF?

A wise man I know once said, "Stupidity is expensive." Consider it a lesson learned and grow up.