Complaint Review: Take Shape For Life- Medifast Diet Food

• Submitted: Mon, June 15, 2009
  • Updated: Fri, February 08, 2013

• Reported By:Imperial Missouri
Take Shape For Life- Medifast Diet Food
11444 Cronhill Dr, 21117 Owings Mills, Maryland U.S.A.

Take Shape For Life- Medifast Diet Food Medifast, diet food, Take Shaoe for Life Owings Mills Maryland

*Consumer Suggestion: Suggestion-

*Consumer Comment: Not accurate

*Consumer Comment: Excuses

*Consumer Comment: It is not a cure....

*Consumer Suggestion: response to all

*Consumer Comment: That's why...

*General Comment: Uh....

*Consumer Comment: ABSOLUTELY TRUE!!!

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Only the facts, ma'am...

*Consumer Comment: Wondering why..

*Consumer Comment: Interesting comments

*Consumer Comment: Same experience

*Consumer Suggestion: Should have done your homework

Company sells 5 weeks of food as a package. The food is disgusting. All powders with a bad after taste. They only allow you to exchange foods within the first 30 days of purchase, which does not give you time to try all foods and get them exchanged and stay on diet. There is 7 packets of powder in a box and they have to have at least 6 packets in a box to exchange. They will not give money back. I am stuckwith $300 worth of food that is terrible There is no money back guarantee of any kind. You bought it, you are stuck with it and it is the worst tasting diet food I have ever tried.

Judy
Imperial, Missouri

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/15/2009 01:46 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Take-Shape-For-Life-Medifast-Diet-Food/Owings-Mills-Maryland-21117/Take-Shape-For-Life-Medifast-Diet-Food-Medifast-diet-food-Take-Shaoe-for-Life-Owings-Mi-461789. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Take Shape For Life- Medifast Diet Food

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Suggestion-

AUTHOR: Beth, Health Coach in Training - ()

You probably should have joined Take Shape For Life. There is a free health Coach who works with you through every step of the process to help you loose weight on medifast and stay healthy beyond. He/she would have guided you to success. Sounds like what you did was attempt a Medifast diet you thought would solve your health problems, with no support or change of thought process. That's why temporary diets just don't work.

Not accurate

AUTHOR: Teresa - ()

I feel the information provided is not accurate.  First of all not all the product is just a gross product.  There is 70 varieties to choose from and 99% of the people like the food.  Also, you have plenty of time within that 30 day period to send back the food for an exchange.  You are eating 5 medifast meals a day so if you are trying all 20 out you could try them all within 4 days.  You are going to know whether you like something after trying it one time and the company will take back the box to replace it with something else and so you get to  try it out for free.  They do have a money back guarentee but you need to pay attention from the start to make sure you follow the guidelines.  Obviously, you didn't do that.  I am a consumer and have found the company has been 100% in integrity and I love the food. Also, the 5th week is free to you.

Excuses

AUTHOR: ADB - (United States of America)

I've been using Medifast and TSFL for 7 months and have lost 60 lbs and am nearly at my goal weight. Guess what, it's tough on the budget whenever you try to eat healthy; whether it's buying organically, investing in a share from a farm co-op, and yes, even to purchase foods that Medifast has designed for you.  I find it incredibly inaccurate for people to post on here that the foods are all powdered and taste bad as there are many that I actually enjoy. Not all of them arrive in powder form, there are breakfast cereals and bars and crackers and chips! My favourites are the mixed berry cereal, peanut butter crunch bars and puddings.

Aside from this, the reason why any of us try this programme is because we're unhealthy at the start. Of course, the food isn't going to taste great in comparison to the foods that made us unhealthy in the first place.

I feel like people who are complaining are those who continue to make excuses for why they can't be healthy. I've been one of the biggest excuse makers during my time and still fall off the wagon from time to time. The difference now is that I've trusted in the programme, allowed myself to see what it can offer and have benefited from that experience.

It is not a cure....

AUTHOR: Laura - (United States of America)

I get so frustrated when people post on here about incorrect things which then becomes fact to smudge the good name of a respectable institute all because a few people were not cured.

Firstly, Take shape for life is the coaching arm of the Medifast company, so it is Medifast that your taste issues should be directed towards and not the coaches who are your support system.

secondly, they recommend 20 boxes for a 1 month period, that is exactly the amount needed for a full month of 5 products a day. 20 boxes, if you tried one packet from each box would take 4 days... how can you possibly say that in a 30 day refund policy you could not try all 20 boxes of product? that is poor management on your part and not a fault of the company who are always willing to refund my stuff.

You also received 8 boxes free with the BESLIM membership over a 2 month period In addition to your monthly amount to allow for any products not liked and returned so you could stay on program.

thirdly, if your gripe truly is with Take shape for life over Medifast, then you would have had a coach, why was your coach not involved in your ordering and issues before you decided to rip them apart on the web? That, if anything should be your complain about Take shape for life, that your coach was ineffective.... in which case there are plenty of other coaches on hand.

As for it being disgusting, that i am afraid is all down to personal preference, and why do you feel entitled to a refund of a product you don't like? Can you walk back into Food Lyon and demand your money back because you opened their canned tuna and didn't happen to enjoy it much? Hardly.

I feel like those people who are not successful with Medifast or TSFL are simply making yet more excuses, I have been on plan for 5 months now and have lost over 70lbs. My coach is amazing and I have never been better, If you are ready to make your life better, you will eat dirt if it saves you.

Did you ever consult your starter kit, the TSFL magazine, the Medifast magazine, articles, your personal coaches site, feeds, facebook, your DR A. "Habits to health" book, the Vlogs, blogs, posts and threads... not to mention the countless number of youtube posts about food reviews and alternative uses for the foods?

Probably not, it just wasn't the miracle tasty cure you hoped for, and so somehow that is the companies fault.......

#5 Consumer Suggestion

response to all

AUTHOR: reality - (United States of America)

Especially to those who came on here to dispute the issues people have with Medifast.

I've seen that they should do their homework...here's mine

And there are other sites reviewing the diet that give it mediocre ratings..it's not a real healthy way to lose weight as you will see. Every so called diet has it's positive and negatives...but the people likely paid my medifast or whatever to dispute here have no credibility when they are attacking consumers. Like saying that's why you are still fat. And Medifast has a lot of work to do on their claims and also the customer service.

That's why...

AUTHOR: Mikelly824 - (United States of America)

You're still fat...

You're so focused on the food not tasting like steak and lobster tails rather than creating permanent health in your life. This program saved my life and I am now medication free, at a healthy weight, and exercising daily! All thanks to the medifast meals and TSFL. If you are looking for excuses you'll find them. Misery loves company so I'm not surprised when reading some of these comments.

#7 General Comment

Uh....

AUTHOR: Roxthebohofox - (United States of America)

I am sorry, but I am confused. So you mean to tell me that you were thinking you were signing up for a program where you lose 2-5 pounds a week, get down to your goal weight in an appealing amount of time, AND have the food taste like the food that you are used to??

This is a diet program. Medifast truly tried to make this experience as easy as possible for those who are willing, but easy has its' boundaries. Sure, there are going to be things that you just cannot seem to get down, but that is in all diets. It's a DIET. It is restricting you from what you want, and teaching you new ways to enjoy life without clogging your arteries.

I rarely see diet companies go out of their way to get such a variety of flavors. I couldn't be more excited to have found a diet where I can lose up to 100 pounds in less than a year, AND eat cookies, brownies, mac & cheese, chocolate, and so much more.

It might not be a slice of pizza, but the result is my slice from heaven.

ABSOLUTELY TRUE!!!

AUTHOR: Denise - (United States of America)

Same scenario with me.  Food is too awful to swallow and sooo spicy yes, terrible after taste of dry spicy yuck.  Must return 30 days AFTER ORDERING.  Call customer service and good luck with that.  They don't give the return auth code when you e-mail them.  You are put you on an automatic shipment and even though you e-mail not to, they will ship.  CALL AND DOCUMENT WHO YOU SPOKE WITH> E-mail and keep for your records.

#9 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Only the facts, ma'am...

AUTHOR: SkinnyButt - (United States of America)

First, your general opinion of the food is irrelevant. If you don't like it, fine - there are ways to deal with that. The problem you had is that you did not fully look into all of your options. Did you consult with your health coach about proper preparation of the food/alternate suggestions? (I had some issues when first trying to prepare certain foods, too, until I got some advice from my coach) Some of the food is definitely bland without a bit of seasoning.

Have you ever logged into your account? Frankly, you don't even need to in order to access their return and exchange policy, found here: http://www.tsfl.com/faqs/return_policy.jsp The statement of yours claiming that "There is no money back guarantee of any kind." is outright false, and as a former health coach, I am offended, but that is of no real concern. Even if you could not find that page of the website on your own, your health coach could have guided you to that info, or upon calling the company, the same would have been told to you.

Assuming you ordered the standard amount of 20 boxes (and received the bonus pack, if applicable), you had more than adequate time to sample everything and return or exchange what you didn't like, according to their policy. (The bonus pack is ineligible for any refund/exchange, but seeing as you did not pay for it, you cannot complain. Don't like it?...Give it away!) The average customer rarely orders 20 different items (which if you sampled one of each during each of your meals until you tried them all, would take only 4 days out of the 30 you claim to be insufficient!). If you received multiples of the same item, but found it distasteful after the first sampling, the one opened box would be exchanged for another product and the others would qualify for a refund.

All things considered, even if it was your health coach who placed your initial order for you, which is common, as a consumer spending a considerable amount for goods & services, it is ultimately your responsibility to fully research the company (and any independent business owners it compensates) and look into its products and policies in case you're not fully satisfied. Take Shape For Life is a reputable company who hides nothing and fully discloses all of its nutritional information, prices and promotions, numerous medical trials, business policies, etc.

Your health coach is there to help you, but you cannot expect to be spoon-fed everything you need to know either. Bottom line: it's your money, common sense says to fully research any company you do business with...if you cannot take the time for that, you are not even ready to make the serious commitment of changing your lifestyle habits for weight loss, which was why you came to them in the first place. While I'm sorry you felt you were "ripped off" by Take Shape For Life", you, as a consumer, simply did not do your homework, which is sadly quite common.

Wondering why..

AUTHOR: mbjb - (United States of America)

A person would come on this website only to file a rebuttal against something negative that was said about Medifast, why are they on this site? Information is to help other consumers be wary of of fradulant business practices by companies. No one said they didn't lose weight with Medifast, only that what the company claims and then practices do not line up well. This is a true fact. My experience with about 10 people who are close freinds who have also done this same diet have been this, 2 only had positive things to say about Medifast, 8 had similar difficulties as I and the other people who have taken the time to discuss these issues on this site. The people who had nothing but positive things to say also had health coaches as friends or collegues and didn't have to worry about their orders being shorted and were able to return food without anyone hassling them.
One of the eight others mentioned had a coach who continually hounded her and her husband several nights a week to see if they were staying on track and who ordered food without their okay and had billed their credit card for the food, she had so much food left and could not return it, she had met her goal and was stuck with a lot of food which she said she would eat a little at a time but had to tell her health coach she was done with Medi Fast just to get him to leave her alone. She was not morbidly obese, I think she needed to lose 60 pounds and this guy would not leave her alone.
I can understand if a person has gained so much weight that anything that helps them lose enough weight to allow them to get off of medication would be wonderful for them. The fact is, Medi Fast has a lot of problems they need to address. These issues are not menial at all, they are just as important to those of us who have not had good experiences with Medifast as good experiences are to those who have had better service than others. I guess I could also say that the rebuttal is pretty menial in itself since that experience this consumer claims to have had is supposed to be what all of us should have had as well. Apparently that Doctor is not charging that person, but mine would have if I had gone thru her, that's why she told me to go online and order myself and she doesn't check on my progress. Most Doctors won't do it for free, I have checked in my area and none will provide free weight loss monitoring that promote this weight loss system. Maybe they have an honest health coach, some of them are not. They are representing Medifast as a company are they not?

I would hope that anyone wanting to start Medifast as a weight loss solution would gain from the comments made on this site. They will at least know what they should watch out for when ordering food from Medifast.

Interesting comments

AUTHOR: DrD - (United States of America)

Reading this report is interessting and nothing like my wife or I experienced.

We tried every packaged diet program we could find including those who are not packaged.  Agreed, some peoducts are not to my liking.  My wife has different tastes than mind.
The idea isn't to live like a king or queen but to live!  People who are morbidly obese cannot dictate their diet the same as they currently are doing.

I speak with the company when I need to order additional products.  Never have I spoke to a rude service person.  The best way to determine this is a first-hand experience, not to take other's word for it.

We have been on the diet since last May15th.  I have lost 140 lbs and my wife has lost 76 lbs.  What else can I say about this program than it is the best.  Our physician placed us on it and saved
our lives.  We have a free physician, RN, nutritionist and health coach for the price of the food.  I save $600 a month on medication alone.  $280 is a paultry amount, relatively speaking.

The complaints I see here are menial relative to the merits of this company.
100% approval would be great.  But, this is life and there will be "issues" with any firm.
I went on this plan to obtain longer life and HEALTH.  This has been accomplished, with the help of Medifast.

Same experience

AUTHOR: mbjb - (United States of America)

I am responding to the person who said you should have done your homework. I also researched Medifast and did find that I could order in quantity of 1 meal, and I did so, but it also tells you to order enough food to last you 2 weeks at least so that you don't run out of food. So that is how I ordered, because if I am going to spend $100 sampling the menu to see what I can eat, I don't want to start the diet for that kind of money and run out of food. They make it pretty clear that it takes a while to get more food. I understand why the person who wanted to start her diet would want to get as much value out of her purchase as she could and not run out of food, wasting valuable time on the diet. Much of the food is very bad tasting, so bad that after forcing my self to go ahead and eat every meal I bought that after 2 weeks much of it was dumped down the drain after taking a bite or two.

YOu also pay more for 1 serving. Maybe the person who responded has lots of money to burn, but I do not, and most people do not. The medi fast and take shape for life websites do tell us as consumers how good the food is(very misleading, false advertising), so the lady from Missouri ordered with trust, and that does count for something in legal terms dear person who replied and said she should have done her homework ( my brother is an attorney with one of the biggest law firms in the midwest, being made a partner) I think that Medifast and Take Shape for Life have a good product in the bars and the ready to drink shakes, but that is about all, the rest is pretty bad, the eggs aren't bad tasting, they just make you sick to your stomach and cause extreme painful gas. I have lost 40 lbs on the diet, so I did stick with it, even though I have had numerous problems with my orders and do not get responded to when trying to resolve. In fact, I just turned over to the BBB this week for that problem. I have tried calling about 6 times to resolve being shorted more than once on my orders(and they always short the same item every time and it's the most expensive item they carry).  You can't get through to them in the evenings..it's nearly impossible, the wait time is well over 20 minutes, and one time I did get someone to answer, it was only because they were telling everyone to call another day as the computers weren't working. They don't have good customer service at all, I figured up how long it took me to get a reply and I spent about 8 hours in a little over a months time trying to get the orders I was shorted on resolved with numerous phone call attempts and emails, I still don't know that they will replace the items even though they said they would when I finally got someone to answer the phone today, guess will wait to see. I do agree that they are in it to make money, less about the people and more about the money, after all, I have been on this diet since January, I think by now I know what I am talking about. But can't say I am surprised, that is how most companies are.

#13 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: True Blue - (U.S.A.)

Take shape for life does not require you to purchase any minimum quantities of their foods. In fact, you can order single size samples of most (if not all?) of their products.

I personally find their food palletable in comparison to other meal replacements that I've tried. The products are soy-based so they do have a slightly different flavor than what you may be used to.

I think you could have avoided this situation if you would have taken time to research the product and the company policies before making your purchase.

#14 Consumer Suggestion