Complaint Review: Talk America

• Submitted: Tue, June 03, 2003
  • Updated: Tue, June 03, 2003

• Reported By:Farwell Michigan
Talk America
www.talk.com Orlando, Florida U.S.A.

Talk America ripoff, telemarketers LIE, then managers deny what telemarkters said, consumer fraud ripoff liars Orlando Florida

Talk America contacted me about mid February. I was told by a man named Jeff from Crystal Beach, FL we coud try the service for one month FREE.

I decided they were still too expensive (try Sage telecom- I'm happy w/ them so far) so I called to cancel after about 3 weeks.
Keep in mind, my 1st month is free. So, I should have no charges, right?

I got a bill for 38 dollars and some cents. Confused, I called up to explain I had a month free, take off the charges, blah blah. Wonderful 'hold' music, might I add. Anyway, she assured me my service would be done on the 5th or 11th or whatever the following Friday was. Great, good customer service, right? Wrong.

A month later I got another bill staing that I haven't paid yet, and my service was in danger of being disconnected. Ooh, disconnect me, isn't that what I ASKED for?? Not like I don't already HAVE another phone company. So I called about the 38 something charges. 'We're sorry, it must not've registered yet....blah blah' Ok, settled.

Or not. Month later, another bill with a threat for a collection agency. Pissed off, I called a third time, listened this time to about 10 minutes of the lovely hold music, got through to a woman named Kimberly or something similar.

Calmly, I explained again my frustration, she kept telling me they bill in advance, and I did recieve service for about 3 weeks in February. I said 'Yeah, I know, but that's not even a month and my 1st month was supposed to be free, why am I being charged even after I cancelled?'

She repeated her manuscript about services rendered and billing in advance rather rudely (apparently hoping I'd go 'duh, ok, do you want more of my money...') and I repeated MY complaint again, this time asking why this is so hard to understand. To which she hung up on me. Literally. Good customer service Talk America!

Calling back immediately, I explained to a very 'helpful' woman (name??) about my disgust at the hangup, she apparently made a note of it (I heard keystrokes in the background), and I explained again the whole ordeal.

She happened to mention to me the fact that they never offered a 'first month free' promotion. Interesting, the fact that the other 3 never thought of saying THAT one. 'What about Jeff from Crystal Beach?' I asked. She looked up something for about 2-3 minutes and came back only to agree that Jeff in fact did handle my initial signup. She said she'd file a formal complaint, and that someone (manager, or the like) would get back with me.

Month later still nothing. Ahh, nothing except an e-mail I recieved earlier today threatening me with collections and so on about my outstanding balance. So, I did what any pissed off consumer would do in a case of rip-off, e-mailed them back a middle finger then came here. Beware Talk America cunstomers!!!

Aaron
Farwell, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/03/2003 05:17 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Talk-America/Orlando-Florida/Talk-America-ripoff-telemarketers-LIE-then-managers-deny-what-telemarkters-said-consume-59469. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Talk America