Complaint Review: Target Stores

• Submitted: Fri, August 10, 2007
  • Updated: Wed, November 07, 2007

• Reported By:Oakmont Pennsylvania
Target Stores
www.target.com Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Target Stores return polices vary from helpful to predator. ripoff Pennsylvania

*Consumer Suggestion: Here is a suggestion

I recently had a bad experience with a Target store employee on the phone and the Guest Relations department online. I'm trying to return an item that I don't have the receipt for and am not able to get for a couple of months.

They have the ability to look it up, and, now, only after sending a third email that has more juicy details, is that help being offered to me.

I am a 7+ month pregnant woman who was given a car seat that was DEFINITELY bought through Target. The item was not on my Baby Registry and I am not able to use it, as grateful as I am to have received it. I was told that I could not return it for store credit, since it was over $20.

I sent an email asking for help. Told there is nothing they could do. "Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. Your feedback will be useful in our continual review of our return policy. We hope to see you again at Target." If it wasn't too late to do it, I would change my registry to Babies R Us.

Well, I posted about my experience on my pregnancy bulletin board. The responses are incredible! About 95% of the experiences are very close to mine, if not worse.

People not being allowed to return, even with gift receipts. People being told that they can only return one item at a time (with Baby Registry, this can take some time). People being told they must spend the gift cards in the individual departments (baby feeding, baby clothing, baby diapering, baby travel....).

I'm just telling people to not register at Target. I can understand them trying to protect their inventory and profit margin. But, they are hurting themselves by not being respectful of the loyal, honest customers.

Here is the link to one of the discussion threads from my board: (((ROR removed because of security purposes)))

Oakmont, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/10/2007 11:57 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Target-Stores/Pittsburgh-Pennsylvania/Target-Stores-return-polices-vary-from-helpful-to-predator-ripoff-Pennsylvania-266741. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Target Stores

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Here is a suggestion

AUTHOR: Jeffandanna2 - (U.S.A.)

I had the same issue with Target, only with $1200 dollars worth of wedding gifts. I hate that awful store and I hope they all burn in hell for the misery they cause. But, here is how I fixed it.

I recieved a fridge that I couldn't use and wasn't on the registery. They wouldn't take it back since is was over $20 and I had no receipt. I then went and added it to my wedding registery, waited for it to upload, and then went and purchased the fridge.

I had two fridges, one receipt.

I took one back using the registery so I didn't need the receipt *CHECK to see if you can do this now, policy change!*

And then I used the receipt for the other one.

Stupid store rules but hey, ya gotta do something and it's not like you're hurting them. They can resell the stupid baby seat.

Also, because I hate Target to make myself feel better I bought a lot of items from them, used them all weekend, put them back in the box and then returned it happily with the receipt, dirty and used. Thank you Target! And thank you receipt!