Complaint Review: Target Stores/Retailers National Bank

• Submitted: Mon, January 06, 2003
  • Updated: Wed, December 31, 2003

• Reported By:Riverside California
Target Stores/Retailers National Bank
3250 Tyler St. Riverside, California U.S.A.

Target Stores/Retailers National Bank consumer rip-off fraud Riverside California

*Consumer Suggestion: Keep payments made to any collectors for up to 7 years

*Consumer Comment: Target/Retailer's National Bank worked with me

*Consumer Comment: Former Mervins Credit Card Holder

*Consumer Comment: We Paid !! Retailers National Bank/Target what they wanted

*UPDATE Employee: Clarification

*Consumer Comment: PAY YOUR BILLS!

In 1999 we opened a credit card account with the Target Store in Riverside, CA. We used and paid off the card on a regular basis. Sometime late in 2000 the balance was up to its limit at $300.00. We missed a couple payments and Target sold the debt off to Retailers National Bank.

After a year of threatening and harassing calls from Retailers National Bank we decided to settle with them. We paid them $364 dollars and were told that they would consider the account paid in full. They wanted more interest but settled for the amount indicated. Retailers actually told us that we could use the target card again.

We have no intention of ever using a Target card. It was destroyed at the onset of their ruthless collection activities. It was for this reason we were very shocked to start receiving calls from another collection agency on behalf of Target Stores in November of 2002. Now they claim the balance is $500. I am going to forward this text to every state and federal agency that might have and interest in this, and Target Stores.

Riverside, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/06/2003 10:05 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Target-StoresRetailers-National-Bank/Riverside-California-92503/Target-StoresRetailers-National-Bank-consumer-rip-off-fraud-Riverside-California-40249. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Target Stores/Retailers National Bank

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Keep payments made to any collectors for up to 7 years

In the future, keep a copy of all payments made to anyone- online bill pay is one of the best ways to keep track. Keep payments made to any collectors for up to 7 years if it will be on your credit report for that long as well. If you paid Retailers National Bank directly it didn't go to a collection agency which will be better for you, as there won't be any past collections regarding this account on your credit reports. Most credit issuing companies have some sort of online payment system (though some do charge for it so watch out). You can pay directly to them if you forgot to send your check off on line. Also you can call the issuing coampany- Target Guest card through Retailer's National Bank will do a check by phone free of charge. One more thing you or anyone can do if you don't have a history of being late and you happen to forget to pay your bill and are only a few days late is call them, explain your situation, and they might take the late charges off and take your payment- it worked for me when the military PCS'd me and I didn't have time to remember to pay my bill let alone know where my account info was. Best of luck to you.

Target/Retailer's National Bank worked with me

AUTHOR: Tere - (U.S.A.)

First of all I want to say I'm not a big fan of shopping at Target mainly because if I find somthing I like I can usually find it somewhere else cheaper [except for my cat's kitty litter - not many sell the type].

I had a Target card for 7 - 8 years. In 1998 my mother's health spiraled down and living 5 hours away I decided to quit my job so I could be with her till the end. I was unable to find a job and contacted Target and let them know what was going on. That I could not pay my bills, and I was sending $5 a month just to show that I wasn't totally ignoring my obligations, AND that I understood that they would charge me interest, late fees, and eventually over the limit fees, and turn me into a collection agency. You know what happened? I was sent a letter stating that if I sent my Target card back to them they would "close" my account - meaning I could charge no more but in turn they would not charge interest, late fees, or over the limit fees as long as I was able to send the $5 a month. Yes, I lost my Target card, and yes it was on my credit that I was behind BUT that I was fulfilling my obligation to the satisfaction of the company. But I had one less thing to worry about, and I never ever received a call from Target or any collection agency reguarding this paticular account. As soon as I could I started sending more money until finally the bill was settled. FYI - Khol's did the exact same thing with me.

Former Mervins Credit Card Holder

AUTHOR: Michael - (U.S.A.)

I have read your comments regarding the problems you had with Target and Retailer's National Bank.
I just recently terminated my Mervin's Credit Card, also issued through Retailer's National Bank.

I've had several problems dealing with Retailer's National Bank. Their customer service is terrible.

They have lost payments, and when I would call to update information, they would say it was taken care of, and then on the next invoice nothing had been changed. I have had to make several calls to them to have problems on their end addressed. The CS reps were always very nice, and curtious, but didn't correct the problems.

We Paid !! Retailers National Bank/Target what they wanted

AUTHOR: Paul - (U.S.A.)

Apparently the people that read the information in these reports only read the portions they want to. In my original report I clearly stated we settled with Retailer's. Since then all I've been getting is responses that say Pay Your Bills!. Let me make it perfectly clear to those less fortunate individuals. Settling means that the bill was payed. Target and/or Retailers did sell or give my account to another agency. They are calling us regularly now for a debt we Paid.!!

AUTHOR: Aaron - (U.S.A.)

Retailer's National Bank is a wholly owned subsidiary of Target Corporation, and the issuer of all Target Corporation credit cards. Target did not "sell" your debt. Target Corporation, like any other credit issuer, has every right to attempt to collect the debt owed to them.

Target abides by all federal collections laws. Those collections calls you received are within the rights of Target to attempt to the collect the debt owed. You charged the card, and did not pay off your debt.

It is not the fault of Target that attempts were made to collect the debt. By agreeing to a "settle for less" option, Target is essentially saying "We don't think we'll get anything if we don't take this."

Essentially, Target is attempting to take something instead of nothing. Remember, you took home goods based on the credit Target extended you. By having and using the goods bought on the credit you used, you agreed to make later payments.

By not paying for the goods later, as you agreed, essentially you have stolen from Target. In these terms, can you explain why you think that Target does not have the right to attempt to collect the debt you owe?

AUTHOR: Charles - (U.S.A.)

You admitted that you "missed" a few payments. You said nothing about not being able to pay. OK, so Target sold your account. BIG DEAL. Whay didn't you pay them? After a year of harrasing collection calls. Why didn't you pay when the new company sent you a bill. YOU let it go on for a year. DON'T BLAME ANYONE ELSE YOURSELF!