Complaint Review: Target.com

• Submitted: Mon, December 12, 2011
  • Updated: Tue, December 13, 2011

• Reported By: CK — Wheeling West Virginia United States of America
Target.com

Target.com Canceled my Discounted Order, then Offered to Sell Item for Double the Price Internet, Internet

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Not the first dishonest and unethical thing they did.

Target.com sent me an e-mail with a promo code (C5ZYFN2C) to get a gift that my husband wanted (Jurassic Park Trilogy Blu-Ray) on Cyber Monday.  I immediately ordered the blu-ray set (listed at $79.98, but on sale for $54.99) and entered the promo code at checkout to get the item for $29.98.  With taxes and shipping, the total was $32.10.  I received an order confirmation that day (November 28th); the confirmation stated that the item was on backorder, but I did not care.  On December 6th I received an e-mail from Target.com; they had canceled my order.

I called Target.com on the morning of December 12th (the day I saw the e-mail) to ask about my order.
I was told that they had received more orders than they could handle and canceled my order because they would not be able to get it to me before Christmas.  I stated that I didn't care about the Christmas deadline; I wanted the item no matter what.  The representative then looked at the inventory and told me that the company had just received a shipment that day.  I told her that I wanted it sent to me.  She said that I could order it for the current price of $49.99.  I explained that I had used a discount code the day I ordered the product and wanted the same price honored.  She said that she could not honor that price and she had no means of correcting the price.  She also stated that she was the highest supervisor there and could not give me additional contact information (besides an address to write to the executive offices).

I repeated this same scenario when I called again and talked to a male.

In summary, Target.com canceled my order without consulting me and then offered to resell the item to me only at a higher price.  This is the most unethical business practice I have ever encountered.

I have the original e-mail with coupon code, the confirmation e-mail, and the cancellation e-mail for any proof that you may need.  I did call the Target.com number (1-800-591-3869) between 9AM and 11AM on 12/12/2011, and I spoke with two "supervisors" two different times.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/12/2011 06:18 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Targetcom/internet/Targetcom-Canceled-my-Discounted-Order-then-Offered-to-Sell-Item-for-Double-the-Price-808423. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Target.com

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Not the first dishonest and unethical thing they did.

AUTHOR: MLS582 - (United States of America)

** " I have the original e-mail with coupon code, the confirmation e-mail, and the cancellation e-mail for any proof that you may need.  I did call the Target.com number (1-800-591-3869) between 9AM and 11AM on 12/12/2011, and I spoke with two "supervisors" two different times." **

Target.com stated "it was backordered." They took everyone's money, then created trust, a belief - "it would be backordered." This is unethical business practice, and very bad software programing - it should of known how many, then refused, yet it wrote backordered.

When I first started work there at Target, at orientation, they had written figures of 90% of people never complain about a problem, therefore only 10% explain a problem. It was good to read about your problem, one of the many reasons why I did not like working there any more - the many unethical business practice of Target.

To sort this out I have:
1) Target.com sent an e-mail with a promo code (C5ZYFN2C) to get a gift that your husband wanted (Jurassic Park Trilogy Blu-Ray) on Cyber Monday.

2) Immediately ordered the blu-ray set (listed at $79.98, but on sale for $54.99) and entered the promo code at checkout to get the item for $29.98.  With taxes and shipping, the total was $32.10.  you received an order confirmation that day (November 28th) - the confirmation stated that the item was on backorder

3) On December 6th you received an e-mail from Target.com - they had canceled your order. The confirmation stated earlier that the item was on backorder, yet still interested.  All this time thinking its backordered,

Perhaps like the search engine result, where I could get 40-70% off the Hard Drive made in Thailand, it wrote it was available, therefore I paid for it, was thanked for the order. Now I find an email about not having one because of the flood in Thailand. Perhaps they took all the orders with out regards to how much they have, yet my bank statement shows nothing, therefore its different :

1) Called Target.com on the morning of December 12th  -the day you saw the e-mail,  to ask about your order.  You were told that they had received more orders than they could handle and canceled your order because they would not be able to get it to you before Christmas.

2)You stated that you didn't care about the Christmas deadline; you wanted the item.

3) The representative then looked at the inventory and told you that the company had just received a shipment that day.  You told her that you wanted it sent to you.

4) She said that You could order it for the current price of $49.99. You explained that you had used a discount code the day you ordered the product and wanted the same price honored.

5) She said that she could not honor that price and she had no means of correcting the price.

6) She also stated that she was the highest supervisor there, and could not give you additional contact information (besides an address to write to the executive offices).

A "$79.99" item became, "$29.99" with pormo code (C5ZYFN2C),  yet later became "$49.99" - $20 dollars more.