Complaint Review: TechMart247.com

• Submitted: Sun, December 16, 2012
  • Updated: Sun, December 16, 2012

• Reported By: Bill — Dallas Texas United States of America

TechMart247.com TechMart247 Created a false claim of computer hacking and tried to get me to pay him to fix the problem. I found the number on a Norton page as a number to call for customer support. I am a long time customer of , Internet

I was trying to activate my online backup with Norton after they automatically renewed my subscription. I am not very familiar with their website as I use it only as a trusted background service. When I could not find the way to activate my Backup I started looking for support and ran in to a very cumbersome automated service. I could not get an answer so I started looking for a phone number which I could not find. While looking for a number I found a tech support number I thought was Norton. I called it and they referred me to another tech to call me. A Chris Martin called from 617-455-4016 and asked for me to allow him remote access to my computer, which , thinking he was from Norton I allowed. He then ran through some registry stuff and showed me where my computer was in critical risk and that I had been hacked. I think he may have been showing me where I had allowed him access, but I was not sure of anything at the time. I was only suspicious because I could not see how I could have been hacked. He was also persistent about me needing me to pay him for his service $200+ at varying degrees of service. I told him I had to check things out first and took my computer to a trusted repair shop and they found nothing wrong.  The next day I found a Live Chat with Norton at which time they resolved the issue and promised to look into the scam artists on their site. My issue is now resolved but I want to warn others of this scam.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/16/2012 05:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/TechMart247com/internet/TechMart247com-TechMart247-Created-a-false-claim-of-computer-hacking-and-tried-to-get-me-982990. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on TechMart247.com