Complaint Review: TeleCheck - First Data Corporation

• Updated: Sun, August 10, 2008

• Reported By:Horn Lake Mississippi
TeleCheck - First Data Corporation
Telecheck.com Internet U.S.A.

TeleCheck - First Data Corporation Telecheck Declines Check Without Cause 6200 South Quebec Street Greenwood Village Colorado

*Consumer Suggestion: Why your check was declined by Telecheck

*Consumer Suggestion: You need to contact the Federal Trade Commission

This is the second time this year telecheck has declined one of my checks. Both times the funds were in the account. I called customer service and was told this was a random check.

She asked me if I was still at the store. I said "No", then I was told she would have to decline the check, because of the amount of activity on the account.

It seemed she was reading from a prepared response when she told me this. This checking account is a little over a month old. I pay my bills from this account and it is Christmas time.

This is an invasion of my privacy! She told me not to write checks for 6 days. I have been penalized when I have done nothing wrong. I just sent off my bills, this could cause me more problems.

The fund were in the accounts. She said she could not verify my funds.

If they cannot verify my funds, then they should not decline a check. Telecheck told me that I should call from a store if this happened again.

This is a rediculous request when it is five days before Christmas. I am sure all the customers waiting in line want to put up with that.

This is harrassment and a invasion of privacy on accounts that are not delinquent.

I would be glad to be apart of a class action lawsuit against what they are doing!

Horn Lake, Mississippi

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/21/2007 08:37 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/TeleCheck-First-Data-Corporation/internet/TeleCheck-First-Data-Corporation-Telecheck-Declines-Check-Without-Cause-6200-South-Quebe-293754. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on TeleCheck - First Data Corporation

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Why your check was declined by Telecheck

AUTHOR: David - (U.S.A.)

Telecheck will decline your check if you have written a bad check to any other Telecheck merchant in the last few years. Or if you suddenly have an increase in check writing to merchants on their database. Or for no reason at all because they assign "velocity rates" to their merchants that result in as much as 15% of "good" checks being declined since Telecheck charges for declines and this is a profit center for them.

Their service has no way of knowing if your account is open or funded. Only what your history is within their merchant database.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

You need to contact the Federal Trade Commission

AUTHOR: Patty - (U.S.A.)

If I were you I would contact the National Consumer Law Center and they will refer you to a good attorney in MS who could help you determine if Telecheck broke any laws under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to write a letter outlining the events you describe and sending a copy to the FTC, the Houston BBB and to the management of the store your check was rejected at. If you happen to find a list of the stores board of directors, I'd send a copy to them also because they have a responsibility to their shareholders to make good business decisions for their organization. If good customers are walking out the door because of inaccurate credit reports, those in charge need to know ASAP. I hate to see shareholders and our economy suffer because of inaccurate credit reports, especially when the problem is so easy to fix.