rank

• Submitted: Tue, January 23, 2007
  • Updated: Wed, March 24, 2010

• Reported By:Pecatonica Illinois
Telecheck
5251 Westheimer Houston, Texas U.S.A.
  • Phone: 800-366-2425
  • Web:
  • Category: Customer

Telecheck boycott retailers that use Telecheck Houston Texas

*Consumer Comment: Gift Card

*Consumer Comment: Their practices are horrendous

*Consumer Suggestion: This has also happened to me

I have seen several reports about Telecheck with some suggestions not to use checks, GET a Debit card one says. Okay - I had one until the databases of a retailer's processing company was hacked into and the card had to be re-issued. In the meantime I resorted to using checks.

So the first day w/o my debit card....
the risk factor code 3 comes up and completely humiliated me at the gas station - Road Ranger, DECLINED. What?
It took a whole morning to get a live person from Telecheck to explain that I had 'no history' of check writing and would have to wait 6 days for them to verify I am who I write on the checks.

Probably the retailer that had the database hacked into also uses Telecheck, likely my bank won't get a list of the retailers that were compromised either.

So I think we should not shop where merchants use Telecheck. maybe we should go back to burying a fruit jar in the back yard with our cash

Sue
Pecatonica, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/23/2007 11:06 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Telecheck/Houston-Texas-77056/Telecheck-boycott-retailers-that-use-Telecheck-Houston-Texas-232191. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Telecheck

Gift Card

AUTHOR: kricher - (United States of America)

Telecheck, who I have never heard of before 30 minutes ago, just sent me 2 letters saying they want my bank account information so I can pay them money they refused to let through.

The transactions in question were done on Amazon.com with an Amazon gift-card. When you enter the giftcard code, Amazon tells you the balance, in this instance, there's still a couple dollars left on the card after the purchases. A 5 dollar sd-micro card and a 5 dollar usb cell phone charger.

So Telecheck is telling me it didn't let money from an Amazon gift card through to Amazon.com, even though Amazon verified the amount and updated the balance on my giftcard? Pretty sleazy, the wife was just going to go give all our data to them thinking they were a real company.

KR, Los Angeles

Their practices are horrendous

AUTHOR: Michelle - (USA)

I got a message from a TRS (turned out to be Telecheck Recovery Services) representative and thought "gosh, this guy sounds like a collection agent".  After reverse-searching the number, it turned out to be a Houston, TX address so I called my dad and asked if he knew who it was.

My dad used to be in collections and said "that's Telecheck's address!"  He used to work for them a long time ago.

Long story short, someone wrote a couple of fake checks on my account and used them in a couple of stores in another state.  The check number series were way off what my checks were.
This jarred me so bad, I will never use checks again and I'm damned careful about who gets  the numbers.  It's unavoidable (giving the numbers out) when you have to pay your monthly bills but I do not write checks anywhere anymore.

The stores they used them in apparently use Telecheck for their ACH debits (like when Walmart hands you your check back).  These dumbasses sent a collection agent(!?) after me.

I asked my dad why the hell the guy calling me sounded like a collection agent and he said "they're just trying to collect on a debt".  That doesn't make sense to me.

I had assumed that my bank and Telecheck would work together on the investigation but apparently, the bank never wants to give out its own information to anyone.
I filed a police report and included the checking account number/routing in that report, myself but for some weird reason, the bank did not want to get involved.

My dad said that Telecheck basically insures a merchant when they accept checks and Telecheck covers the loss if it's a bounced check, fraudulent check, whatever.

What I don't understand is how anyone got my numbers.  It either had to have been someone at a store that keeps your check when you write it or else one of my utility companies or someone (a bookkeeper, whoever) who worked/works for the bank.

My husband suspects it was a disgruntled bookkeeper (my bank just got out by a bigger bank and this all occurred while the bank was transitioning) or someone else who would have access to the bank's account numbers.
One thing to add, I heard a customer coming into the bank muttering something about fraudulent checks as I was leaving.

I didn't ask the tellers about it, I figure if there was any compromise with the bank, they weren't going to tell me (everybody covers their ass legally, it seems) and I don't want my local branch thinking I don't trust them (because I do trust them, I live in a small community) but I have to wonder if it really WAS something going on with our bank at some level.  A breach of security or something somewhere.

Anyway, I was a bit appalled that Telecheck did not have their fraud investigation department call me but instead sent a crass collection agent, of all people, to harass me.

Even my dad never liked working for Telecheck (as a collection agent).

Instead of spending time and effort going after the bad guys, Telecheck puts all their effort into harassing innocent people.  I sure hope some corporation buys them out and runs this company the way it should be run.  I damn sure have a few pointers for them if they do!!

Protecting account holders (not just their customer, the merchant) should be priority #1 with them.
There's got to be a way to match the person on the check to the account number (perhaps part of this is the fault of banks, too, I don't know) and Telecheck should be doing that.

The harder you make it for thieves, the less likely they will steal from you.  Criminals are lazy and generally don't like to work hard, they go after easy stuff.

I've been victimized 3 times.  First with the check theft (I was eventually reimbursed), then with dealing with a collection agent, and finally, it's make me so f-ing paranoid, I don't even use checks anymore.  It's a HUGE inconvenience.
I am really angry over this situation.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Terri - (U.S.A.)

This has happened to me. I was told by a Telecheck employee to contact them (and any other check verification service when this happens). They all pretty much use a "code 3". It's not really an insufficient history as much as it is that they want to make sure you are who you say you are.

Sometimes they just need to just call the bank and verify your name and address are current and the same as on the account and that the funds are available. She also stated that the MERCHANT sets the criteria. You may be denied at one merchant and approved at another.

She said that once you contact them if the previous is the case, it does take 6 days to resolve it. It is VERY embarassing. Both, a customer and the clerk assumed that I didn't have the money in the bank and that I was in the habit of bouncing checks.

I was ENRAGED because I make it a point to walk the straight and narrow and I AM a victim of ID theft and am constantly cleaning up the mess someone else caused. Luckily they did it in another state and all while I was either giving birth, having surgery or otherwise have a provable alibi. I hope this helps.

#4 Consumer Suggestion