Complaint Review: Tepperman's Windsor, Maytag Canada

• Updated: Wed, August 19, 2009

• Reported By:Kingsville Ontario
Tepperman's Windsor, Maytag Canada
Dougall Ave. Windsor, Ontario Canada

Tepperman's Windsor, Maytag Canada Selling bad / defective products Windsor Ontario Canada

* : Response to Tim

Purchased a Maytag refridgerator in 2003 and it had a 5 year warranty on the compressor. One year past warranty, the compressor failed and I'm out $1,350.00 as the fridge is useless and will cost $600 to repair.

Maytag decided to do nothing to help and Teppermans just told me that, and I quote, "If you didn't buy the piece of crap from us, you would have bought it from some body else."

Oh, this makes me feel so much better. I suspected if the compressor was "faulty", it would have failed during the first 5 years. Well, it waited until the warranty was up and then failed.

I suspect the life expectancy of a refridgerator should be more than 6 frickin' years! Heck, I know of Kenmore's that are still running and are 35 years old.

Since neither Teppermans or Maytag were willing to help me out, we have decided to cease any further transactions with either company and we highly recommend that others take heed and learn from the treatment we got from them.

Tim
Kingsville, Ontario
Canada

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/10/2009 05:22 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Teppermans-Windsor-Maytag-Canada/Windsor-Ontario/Teppermans-Windsor-Maytag-Canada-Selling-bad-defective-products-Windsor-Ontario-Canada-478239. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Tepperman's Windsor, Maytag Canada

#1

Response to Tim

AUTHOR: Noah tepperman - (Canada)

Dear Tim:

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, since you chose not to communicate with an accredited resource such as the Better Business Bureau ( http://www.bbbwindsor.com ) I don't have any information as to your last name or phone number, so I am unable to contact you directly to speak with you about this matter.  Unlike the BBB, Ripoffreport.com is a for-profit business; is not a Canadian company; and doesn't make it very easy for me to contact you unless I pay for a subscription to this site.
I rarely (if ever) see response comments to my customer responses from customers who post to RipoffReport.com. Even when I'm unable to identify a customer and post requesting that they contact me I rarely hear back (another reason why the BBB is a better resource for everyone invoved) so I don't know if you'll ever see this post or not. If you do, please call me: 519-969-9700 ext. 1495. I'd really appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly.
I'm shocked, frankly, that anyone at Tepperman's would have said anything to you such as what you report, and am very sorry that such a thing was said to you.  Please accept my apologies, as it is clearly inappropriate.  If you would be able to provide me some additional information as to who you were speaking with at the time, I would appreciate it very much.  If you could provide me some additional context for the conversation that was taking place, I would also appreciate it- part of me is hoping very much that what was said might make sense somehow when placed in context.
Practically all major brand-name fridges sold (and all fridges sold by Tepperman's) come with a 1/5 warranty standard from the manufacturer.  This 1/5 standard warranty includes 1 years parts/ service on the majority of all functional components, 5 years on the compressor.  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE, Frigidarie, Samsung, LG... they're all pretty much the same.
In your letter you refer to Kenmore.  Per www.appliances411.com , "The Kenmore product line is made for Sears by the leading appliance manufacturers and branded with the Kenmore name. Sears does not manufacture any products themselves."  So, Kenmore appliances are exactly the same as what everyone else sells, and are made by Maytag, Whirlpool, GE, Frigidaire, etc... and are just as likely to fail or not fail.  Just as you've seen Kenmores that last for 35 years, I've seen Maytags, or Whirlpools, or GE's that last just as long.
You may find it hard to believe, but I'm very sorry that your compressor failed and that it did so out of warranty, and I'm sorry you've had to go through all of the frustrations associated with it.  While I may be the owner of Tepperman's, I've had appliances fail on me too, out of warranty, and I know the frustration you're feeling when you have to make the kind of decision you're faced with.  I've had to make that same decision (and in my case, I opted for the less costly option of repair that gave me additional useful life from my original investment).  Tim, sometimes fridges break (as do cars, or computers, or garage doors, or furniture). This doesn't mean you got a bad fridge: it was just something that happened.
The plain truth of the matter is that when you're a full year past the end of your warranty, and something breaks, then it is your responsibility as a consumer to either a) pay for the repair or b) make the decision to replace the entire unit.
Maytag could include a 6 year, or 10 year, or 20 year warranty with their fridges... but then the retail price they'd have to charge would be so high that you never would of purchased the fridge in the first place.
Tepperman's could step in and provide no-cost service for all out-of-warranty customers... but if we did, we'd either a) lose so much money that we'd go out of business, or b) have to charge so much that no one would buy from us... and we'd lose so much money that we'd go out of business.  Either way, we wouldn't be around to take care of you and all the other customers who really need our help, every day.
I know you're angry at Maytag, but please don't be.  If you'd purchased a fridge from another manufacturer, you'd have roughly the same chances of a compressor failing after 6 years... and no other manufacturer would be doing anything for you, either.
If you had purchased the fridge from another retailer, and the compressor failed after 6 years, you'd still be in the same situation as you're in now... with one major exception: if you'd bought it from someone else, the owner of the company you bought it from likely wouldn't be trying to contact you directly; wouldn't be giving you his personal apology for the way a staff member spoke to you; and wouldn't be taking the time to write this letter to you to try and explain the circumstances, and to tell you that you're still very important to everyone here at Tepperman's.