Complaint Review: The Apollo Group

• Updated: Thu, February 17, 2011

• Reported By: susan — Desert Hot Springs California United States of America
The Apollo Group
3839 North 3rd Street #300 Phoenix, Arizona United States of America

The Apollo Group Alta Business and Professional training center Phoenix, Arizona This school ripped off their students and the federal government Phoenix, Arizona

I went to this school back in 1989, they told me I would get grants from the government because I was a single mother, Pell grants, I was told that this was an accredited colllege and that it was a division of the University of Phoenix and that once I completed my course I would be certified in Microcomputer applications and there would be job placement and they really made me believe that they were a legitamate school.
Upon completing the course, their idea of job placement is you recruiting students for them. We would be taken to the lowest of the lowest income neighbothoods and sign people up for these classes.
What they did was this:  They made you believe that you were getting grants, then they would actually put you in safford loans. They would have you sign a document not realizing that you are signing a promisary note. You are then stuck with a loan for an educaton that is not even real. THe school was not credited, you can't do anything with the education you received. but you sure owe some money when its over..
I have refused to pay this loan as soon as I found out what they had done, over the past 21 years I have made one payment willingly but the US Department of education has taken over $5,000.00 of my income tax money, so now I wont file taxes.
The loan started out at $7,400.00 now they say I owe them over $21,000.00, and I have a wage garnishment. I dont know how to locate and of my old records.
This school actually closed down in 1993 and I believe it was due to too many defaulted student loans.
The government needs to look into this. The School was not a division of the university of Phoenix, the founder of the University of Phoenix, John Sperling has a son who;s name is Peter Sperling and he was the one who started this school.
Like I said the school was closed in 1993 but if you google that name it appears that that school is still in business and it is not.
Please someone turn me in the right direction to get this handled because I dont think that it is fair that I am being held responsible for an education that was not real, overpricced, fraudulent, etc.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/17/2011 05:07 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-Apollo-Group/Phoenix-Arizona-85012/The-Apollo-Group-Alta-Business-and-Professional-training-center-Phoenix-Arizona-This-scho-696381. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Apollo Group