Complaint Review: The Avenue, Smart Sizes

• Submitted: Sat, September 25, 2004
  • Updated: Mon, March 23, 2009

• Reported By:Portland Oregon
The Avenue, Smart Sizes
21st Weidler Portland, Oregon U.S.A.

The Avenue, Smart Sizes, Plus Size Clothing Horrible Company to work for Human Resourceless Portland Oregon

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Another Castoff Employee

*Consumer Comment: THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME ABOUT THIS HELL --MY FAMILY WILL NOT BE SHOPPING THERE

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Sad but True

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: A fellow ex-employee

I was a customer before being hired by The Avenue as one of their so called Management team members. I worked extra hard to prove myself a good employee and not one of my co-workers would have ever said otherwise. However that was not enough for them, I was written up my second week there for not getting enough of our customers to fill out our Avenue credit card application. Which I will admit that while it is part of my job to ask the customers if they would like to fill one out, I can not make someone fill out a credit card application when they have no intention of putting themselves at risk for debt.

I have gotten my fair share of them filled out over time, but the District Manager came to me and told me that if I didnt get even more applicants, I would be written up again and terminated. Needless to say our customer daily transaction hits 17 to 20 customers per day tops. So to get the 12 in a week was just not gonna happen. I was still learning my duties as a new full time manager who did freight, customer service, floorsets and many other time consuming tasks.

Anyway they were going to write me up again, so I quit. The few employees that you may be familiar with now will turn over rapidly. I do not have a problem asking people to fill out applications, but I just cant force them too and I refused to go the way of other employees and make stuff up just to keep my job when being a great worker, and manager should have been enough. I had a better chance of selling one of our leather coats dead in the middle of summer before getting someone to put themselves at risk of falling behind with another credit card. It was just an unrealistic expectation.

Kimberly
Portland, Oregon

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/25/2004 07:32 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-Avenue-Smart-Sizes/Portland-Oregon/The-Avenue-Smart-Sizes-Plus-Size-Clothing-Horrible-Company-to-work-for-Human-Resourcele-110166. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Avenue, Smart Sizes

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Another Castoff Employee

AUTHOR: Browneyes - (U.S.A.)

I'm glad I read this report. I worked for The Avenue from 11/07-06/08, and it had by far the worst management atmosphere I've encountered. I loved the customers and the actual JOB, but working with Avenue-trained managers is worse than a living hell. They do alter time-sheets, forbid overtime pay while expecting you to work overtime hours, threaten termination if you don't meet their ridiculous credit standards, as well as refuse to allow your earned breaks. Even if you do get your break, you're not allowed to leave the store, nor are you able to finish the break if more than two customers walk in. The maximum staff you'll see on any given day, including weekends, is 2, generally with one of the managers (me) working the full double shift. Never mind the fact that they attempt to find anything remotely shady in the employees' work and terminate them on the spot, with less than convincing proof - oh, after they have you train your replacement.

THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME ABOUT THIS HELL --MY FAMILY WILL NOT BE SHOPPING THERE

AUTHOR: Joe - (U.S.A.)

THIS PLACE SOUNDS LI\KE HELL.

IN FACT, I THINK HELL OR EVEN JAIL WOULD BE BETTER THAN HERE.

THE LADY IN AUSTIN' S STORY IS TYPICAL OF HOW ALL EMPLOYEES ARE TREATED IN AUSTIN RETAIL AND THEN THEY HAVE TO PUT UP WITH TEAMS OF PROFESSIONAL SHOPLIFTERS MANY WHO ARE MINORITIES WHO THREATEN YOU WITH DISCRIMINATION LAW SUITS --ESPECIALLY AT HIGHLAND MALL OR WHO WILL BEAT YOU DOWN IF YOU TRY TO INTERFERE WITH THEIR STEALING. THERE ARE SLICK THIEVES WHO BRING ALONG PRICING GUNS AND DUPLICATE SALES TAGS -- TO SAY NOTHING OF THE GANG MEMBERS WHO GET THEIR FRIENDS WORKING THERE AND THEY GIVE GENEROUS UNAUTHORIZED DISCOUNTS...

AND WHEN YOU GET SNOTTY, ARROGANT YUPPIES WHO ALSO STEAL MERCHANDISE AND DAMAGE IT IN THE FITTING ROOMS BECAUSE THE SMALLER SIZES ARE ALWAYS THE MOST DESIRABLE -- TO BE ABUSED BY YOUR STORE MANAGEMENT IS JUST TOO MUCH.

NOBODY HAS MONEY FOR IN STORE CREDIT CARDS THESE DAYS AND I BET THE FEES AND INTEREST CHARGES ARE BEYOND OUTRAGEOUS.

IN RETAIL, EVERYTHING IS DONE ON THE CHEAP. THOSE DYES ARE PROBABLY DELIBERATELY TOXIC FROM IMPORTED TEXTILES FROM COUNTRIES WHO HATE US ANYWAY AND ALSO OPERATE WITH EVERYTHING ON THE CHEAP. LOSE A FEW TO TOXIC DYES ON CLOTHES, NO PROBLEM THERE ARE HUNDREDS IF NOT THOUSANDS MORE WHERE THAT ONE CAME FROM.

AND IN AUSTIN, WORKERS ARE EQUALLY REGARDED AS INTERCHANGEABLE AND REPLACEABLE. THERE REALLY ARE A MINIMUM OF 15-20 PEOPLE COMPETING FOR SKILLED JOBS AND EVEN MORE FOR THE JOBS AT THE HIGHEST AND LOWEST LEVELS.

I READ THESE TALES OF WOE HOW ALL EMPLOYEES APPEAR TO ABUSED BY THESE PEOPLE --ON THE CHEAP -- AND I THINK THAT I WILL TELL THE LADIES IN MY FAMILY WHO WEAR PLUS SIZES NOT TO SHOP HERE.

AND WHY.

EVERYTHING THAT YOU BUY HERE WILL HAVE AN OUTRAGEOUSLY EXORBITANT MARKUP AND THEY MIGHT BE HARMED BY THE DYES.

MAYBE THEY WILL RUN OUT OF PEOPLE WHO WANT TO WORK HERE EVENTUALLY.

AND PEOPLE WILL STOP SHOPPING THERE AND SUBSIDIZING THIS INHUMANE, VICIOUS LITTLE CIRCUS OF PAIN AND EXPLOITATION.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Sad but True

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (U.S.A.)

Very believable, considering the company repeatedly cheats employees out of breaks on a daily basis, along with maternity leave. I have witnessed both.

The management team, generally works from 8-13 hrs a day without a thought other than pushing the average customer to fill out credit card apps.

Zero breaks for management.

Hours have been changed after the employee has worked and departed, giving the employee less hrs than they actually worked.

Scheduals are changed even after employees are set to work a certain amount, the new hrs reflect additional hours or have hours taken away. Most of the time the employee will be unaware and uninformed.

To the partime employees, the incentive to gain work hrs is of course gaining credit card customers. Clearly stated on scheduals.

In order to avoid offering breaks, scheduals are adjusted to no more than 5 hr shifts so that part timers do not qualify for 30 minutes to eat lunch or dinner.

Should an employee work above the 5 hrs, breaks are not always given and largely ignored. (Personal experience of 9 hr shifts to 5 hr shifts with no breaks).

Upon leaving, everything you own is searched, every pocket and every purse compartment, leaving you feeling violated and or untrustworthy.

Rather than install cameras, the staff (consisting of 2 empolyees) is widely responsible to track and intercept theft. In one 6 hr shift, no less than 7 customers made an attempt to steal from racks of clothing or jewlery.

When Loss Prevention arrives every 6 mths, or when management quits...Every employee is called in for Interrogation.

During this interrogation, employees are outright accused of stealing or knowing about another stealing.

One popular question is: Of everyone working here, who do you think would be likely and less likely to steal?

Stay informed.

#4 UPDATE EX-employee responds

A fellow ex-employee

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (U.S.A.)

Customers would usually tell my bosses (assistant managers and the main manager, who was the one that was so horrible), how friendly and helpful I was. I really enjoyed the customers, but the management was just AWFUL.
I, too, worked for The Avenue at one time, but I worked for one in Austin, Texas. My boss often made comments to me about my weight and how bad I looked, told me how I should go to church, and OFTEN talked about and did change the time sheets, so that no one would have over time.
She even sneeringly told us about how she wouldn't give a recently fired employee her last check.
If that was no bad enough, when I started receiving really horrible chemical burns from the clothing and packaging, I still had trouble getting time off, and was literally screamed at when I told my manager that my doctor told me that they were indeed chemical burns from handling the stock at The Avenue.
But what made me quit was when I got a call at 11 PM at night, being screamed at for not going in on a day that she had scheduled me for, to go see my grandmother who was in bad health. When I explained the situation, and explained that no one, even the assistant managers who I had spoken to, who told me it was okay for me to go visit my grandmother, could find the schedule, she started screaming that it was because she had taken all of it with her, and hadn't bothered to bring it back to work.
She often took time sheets and schedules home to 'correct' them and make the books look good.
It was shameless scamming, in my opinion. The manager, Karen, was just cruel and boldly used her employees. Almost everyone that was hired when I was, quit before I did. She cannot keep staff because of her cruelty.
Job seekers beware.