volunteers

• Reported By: TheMoparMan — Millville New Jersey United States of America
The Barter Town

The Barter Town "Free" Unlimited ads aren't free!, Internet

*General Comment: Barter Town is free .. just never say yes

After getting spammed dozens of times from my Craigslist ad, I finally clicked onto TheBartertown.net site which promised FREE placement of my ad into the major search engines.

Naturally after writing the ad, I had to by-pass the section-after-section of paid services promising quicker insertion into the search engines.   Naturally, there were warnings and large banners reminding me of what I would not be getting if I didn't sign up with a paid service. After scrolling all the way down, I finally found the "Free" button and submitted my ad.

Within minutes, I recieved a call from a pleasant sounding representative (from the mid-east, of course) who verified my info.  Naturally she started on the spiel of the services I could receive for $5 per month.  This included a quicker insertion into the search engines and pay-per-click ad. [continued below]....
.....  I patiently listened to the whole thing before I explained I wanted to see how their site operated with just the free ad, and would consider a program with them later.

As the conversation progressed, she turned from being pleasant to hostile.  I never lost my temper with her, nor did I get defensive.  At one point I said "I appreciate you calling and providing the information but....".  She stopped me here and actually said.  "No, I don't think you appreciate it!  Why don't you just give me a credit card number so I can get this ad inserted."  I replied to her that at this point "I just don't feel comfortable providing credit card information with a company I'm not totally familiar with."

Now she was really steamed!  She told me that without paying, she wouldn't place my ad (which of course was supposed to be free).  So I just told her "Fine, don't run it then."  But again, she continued with her close, trying to continually get a credit card number, and again I refused.

Finally, in a hostile tone, she just told me that I couldn't run the ad without paying, and she was going to delete it.  Not really caring at this point, I told her to go ahead.  She slapped the phone down, and that ended the conversation.

Okay, I never provided any financial or personal information with this company, so I can't claim I got ripped off.  What I didn't like was the strong-arm sales pitch and telling me I had to pay for something was supposed to be free.

What's ironic here is that despite the fact my ad will never make it into the search engines, this post eventually will.  Maybe not today or not tomorrow.  But in a few months anybody who Googles The Barter Town will see this in the rankings.  A little poetic justice!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/02/2012 03:02 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-Barter-Town/internet/The-Barter-Town-Free-Unlimited-ads-arent-free-Internet-921614. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Barter Town

#1 General Comment

Barter Town is free .. just never say yes

AUTHOR: scott - ()

I used Bartertown for ads for two years back in 2011 and 2012. I too experienced everthing that was reported except, I never had an operator tell me they were "removing my ad" nor that "I had to pay $5 month". It's obvious that at least at that time the writer did not know how the free ad services work or the operator was acting inappropriately.

There are many free ad services: Yelp, YP.com, Manta, Google plus page, Bing local ads, Yahoo Local, Thumbtack (although they have changed their system), My local.com, and numerous other ones. I, at one time, registered on 42 free sites. My company worth 34K just 3 years ago, is now  worth over 600K . And, I did it all for free.

The key to free ads is to understand that they all have operators that will call you shortly after you place your ad. There are several approaches to deal with this:  don't answer any calls for 30 minutes. Let them go to voice mail. Then identify the number that called or at least the prefix, and never answer those calls.  (oR) Answer the call and tell them you are too busy right now, but again identify the number or the prefix, and never answer them again.

The key is these are low paid often temp or part time employees. I'm surprised that no one from Bartertown ever responded to your comments. My guess is she was frelancing and what she did would have been against policy.

But, I don't know, I just know my 30-40 Bartertown ads were processed and several of them made it to the first page. What I do is produce a free ad on one of the services. I then look for the ad on a google search a few days to a week later. If it is going to appear, it happens within a week. It maybe on page 8, but it is there.

Then click on your ad 100s - 1000 times a day. You should use every different IP address you can to click on your ads. Go to free libraries, ask friends from out of state (they count alot more), take your lap top to restaurants that offer free WIFI etc etc .... The more clicks the faster you advance. HINT!! If you are marketing a landscape company, do your clicking in the winter. It has so much more affect, when all the other companies aren't marketing their ads.