Complaint Review: The Boat Rack and Steven Henry (Salesman)

• Submitted: Thu, August 29, 2013
  • Updated: Thu, August 29, 2013

• Reported By: rhorner — Charlotte North Carolina
The Boat Rack and Steven Henry (Salesman)
7565 E Nc 150 Hwy sherrills Ford, North Carolina USA

The Boat Rack and Steven Henry (Salesman) Steven Henry (The Boat Rack) Sold me a used Boat that needed a New Engine!!! sherrills Ford North Carolina

*Author of original report: Let me Respond to the Sleasy Salesmans Rebuttal

*UPDATE Employee: The Other Side

My girlfriend and I decided to buy our first boat. After a thorugh search, we came across a Chaparral that was for sale by a guy named Steven Henry (a salesman for The Boat Rack).  The seats were redone, the engine looked cleaned, and Mr. Henry told me the boat ran great and was ready for summer.  Since Steven Henry worked for The Boat Rack, an authorized Chaparral dealership, I felt real good about this purchase.

Two weeks after owning the boat I find out the boat needs a new engine which would cost me over $6,000 dollars. I called Steven Henry and requested my money back since he clearly ripped me off and he flat out said no with no remorse what so ever and then he referred to the bill of sale saying "sold as is".

I called his boss, the owner of The Chaparral Dealership (The Boat Rack) and told him what happened.  The owner asked around and found out from the guy that picked up the boat for Steven Henry that the boat wasn't running on max rpm's at the time Steven Henry sold me the boat.  Of course that was not disclosed to me before I purchased. The owner tells me he will put pressure on his employee to do the right thing. But after it was all said and done, he did absolutely nothing. Which tells me they are both scam artist looking to make a quick buck.

Be warned! Stay away from The Boat Rack and Steven Henry (salesman)!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/29/2013 09:31 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-Boat-Rack-and-Steven-Henry-Salesman/sherrills-Ford-North-Carolina-28673/The-Boat-Rack-and-Steven-Henry-Salesman-Steven-Henry-The-Boat-Rack-Sold-me-a-used-Boa-1080108. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Boat Rack and Steven Henry (Salesman)

Let me Respond to the Sleasy Salesmans Rebuttal

AUTHOR: rh - ()

1. "The boat / engine ran good for you and your own hired mechanic during the test drive and inspection of the boat."  Yes, I hired a random mechanic from craigslist to look at the boat before I bought it (big mistake), because it just so happened the mechanic I hired knew the owners of the boat rack, he even said he was there earlier that day and the second he found out Steven Henry was a salesmen for the boat rack he acted as if he didn't need to seen anymore. And he actually said to me, "you're in good hands, the boat rack are good honest people and only hire good honest people". I don't know if they were in cohoots or the mechanic just truly believed the boat rack mechanics would have fixed that boat had their been any problems, but he never did a compression test. I asked around, and the only way to know if a boat has issues is to do a compression test (wish I knew prior), and is standard practice when checking out a used engine.

2. "The boat / engine ran good for me while I owned it." Now that I have a new engine, I can feel the difference right away when driving and starting, compared to the other engine (it sounded like it had trouble cranking up everytime). So for Steven Henry (a guy that sales boats for a living) to tell me the boat ran great for him is laughable. It's like night and day because the old engine was liquid locked. And anyone that knows about boats would know this the second they go to start the engine (unfortunately I didn't have this experience).

3. "It was still running when you decided to tear it apart for inspection to find a problem.  Most 13 year old Mercruiser engines have underlying problems.  Lesson is, don't tear down a 13 year old engine that is still running good and hasn't failed.  That engine could have run for many more years... ". After I was told the boat needed a new engine by the mechanic at the Holiday Marina, I was talked into getting a second opinion from the mechanics from The Boat Rack by the owner.  After weeks of The Boat Rack mechanics working on my engine, they too came to the same conclusion the boat needed a new engine and that their was proof the boat overheated in the past. And they too said it was just a short matter of time before the engine failed completely on me because of the internal and external water leak. I guess they call it a cracked block or liquid locked. So Steven Henry, who is a "boat salesman", you either know nothing about boats and engines or you're trying to sling another sleazy line because the engine needing to be replaced had nothing to do with YOUR mechanics, from The Boat Rack, so called "tearing it apart for inspection".

4. "We probably could have worked out an agreement and I would have been willing too. But when you threaten lawsuits in the first conversation then that's usually the last conversation."  Lol, this part really got me because I asked politely for my money back and you flat out said "I am sorry this has happened to you, but there is a sold as is on the contract and I'm not giving you back your money". You never mentioned anything about helping with the repair cost. Of course when you say your not going to give me my money back or even mention splitting some of the cost the conversation is going to lead into lawsuits. Good try Steven, you're not fooling me.

5. "I’m still not sure why you insist on getting my employer involved.  You knew from the very beginning that this was my personal boat.  You never dealt with, nor stepped foot on The Boat Rack grounds during the inspection or purchase transaction."  That's what you claim, however, there is a sticker on the back of the boat showing it's from The Boat Rack with the telephone number. Also, when I asked why you were selling the boat, you flat out lied to me. There really is no reason to believe you Steven Henry.  On top of that, after receiving my boat back from The Boat Rack with the new engine, my depth finder no longer works.

The Other Side

AUTHOR: Steven - ()

You tell the story so one sided.  The facts are the boat / engine is 13 years old.  The boat / engine ran good for me while I owned it.  The boat / engine ran good for you and your own hired mechanic during the test drive and inspection of the boat.  The boat /engine ran good for you during the first 2-3 weeks of you owning it.  The Boat / engine never stopped running good. The engine DID turn the correct RPM after a bottom cleaning and a new prop was installed back in March.   The engine never failed.  It was still running when you decided to tear it apart for inspection to find a problem.  Most 13 year old Mercruiser engines have underlying problems.  Lesson is, don't tear down a 13 year old engine that is still running good and hasn't failed.  That engine could have run for many more years...  You just never know on a 13 year old product.  We probably could have worked out an agreement and I would have been willing too. But when you threaten lawsuits in the first conversation then that's usually the last conversation.

I’m still not sure why you insist on getting my employer involved.  You knew from the very beginning that this was my personal boat.  You never dealt with, nor stepped foot on The Boat Rack grounds during the inspection or purchase transaction.  Continuing to drag my employer into this is unwarranted and unethical