Complaint Review: The Carbon Bar and Grill

• Updated: Tue, May 07, 2013

• Reported By: wtiowa — Villisca Iowa
The Carbon Bar and Grill
210 3rd Street Carbon, Iowa USA

The Carbon Bar and Grill Horrible service that brags about ripping off customers. Carbon Iowa

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Carbon Bar Rebuttal

The Carbon Bar and Grill in Carbon, Iowa has always had a reputation for a place with good food and where the locals can get a good deal. No longer.

Since the new manager and her family have taken over all front-end services, this place is a rip-off machine. The manager, her sisiter, and her mother all take turns overcharging customers and pocketing the extra expense. They never give customers a bill; counting on the customer to go to the register where they simply tell you a total. This has made most customers totals sky-rocket.

When you ask for a bill and get one (after they have totalled it) and then double-check it, don't be surprised to see their total on the register to be $5-10 more than what it shows on the ticket. This is a scheme that has driven many customers away.

And to make matters worse, the manager's sister (Chrissy) brags about this tactic to people at other bars in Corning. She brags of making more money than she ever has -- because the customers are "too drunk" to know she is over-charging them. Of course, it's difficult to understand how she is able to do this -- since she is drinking the entire time she is working (as does her mother) and is about 51 cards shy of a full deck.

The Carbon Bar used to be a great place to hang out; which I had enjoyed doing for many years. But the owners are never there to monitor their staff and this family has decided that their corrupt way of over-charging is a gold mine to them. Not sure the owners know how much alcohol Chrissy and her mother drink during their shift, or that the entire family (and their families) eat there almost every night. Another thing Chrissy brags about -- "free food and all the drinks we want."

If you have a family expect to pay $50 per meal -- no matter what you order. I'm glad I'm single and only had been there on a few times with my girlfriend, before noticing my bills (despite ordering the same thing every time I was there) kept going up and up. More cash for Chrissy and her family.

This establishment is for sale. Good luck to the current owners (who don't seem to care what is going on there) on selling this. Don't expect there will be many customers in the future with this famiy ripping everyone off and laughing all the way to the bank.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/07/2013 08:53 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-Carbon-Bar-and-Grill/Carbon-Iowa/The-Carbon-Bar-and-Grill-Horrible-service-that-brags-about-ripping-off-customers-Carbon-1049016. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Carbon Bar and Grill

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Carbon Bar Rebuttal

AUTHOR: Dereck - ()

There have been several comments and stories circulating around the bar and its employees. Unfortunately, as owners, of this business and others, plus having family's that require much of our time, our bar business, ie: service and quality, have suffered. While I cannot prove or disprove any of the comments made, I can assure all of our patrons that this matter will be dealt with immediately. We obviously do not condone any of the alleged actions our employees did or did not do.

I sincerely apologize for any poor service or overcharging that may have occurred. Any of these actions in our eyes, including theft, will not be tolerated and is grounds for immediate termination of employment.. We intend to get to the bottom of this matter expeditiously. While Facebook and other forms of social networking sites are great places to communicate with friends and family, I would greatly appreciate and encourage any one who has info about this matter, or any others to contact either my self, Dereck, or Joe directly. Again we apologize and hope we can correct this and regain your trust and business. Thank you.

novels