Complaint Review: The Coleman Company

• Submitted: Sat, February 13, 2010
  • Updated: Sat, February 13, 2010

• Reported By: spc3rd — Williamsburg Virginia USA
The Coleman Company

The Coleman Company Ordered lantern replacement tubes for total price of $24.08. Coleman placed hold for $25.08 on account. Internet

On 2/12/2010 I ordered (on-line) 2 replacement neon tubes for a Coleman 6 volt lantern.  The cost breakdown as shown on my printed receipt from Coleman is as follows:

9" FLUOR TUBE, 2 PK - $15.98

Shipping - $6.95

Tax - $1.15

TOTAL COST = $24.08

When I reviewed my financial accounts this morning, I find Coleman  placed a "hold" in the amount of $25.08 for this purchase...$1.00 more than the total cost shown on my receipt.

I immediately e-mailed Coleman, as well as, my financial institution about this issue.  I requested Coleman immediately cancel my order and remove this blatant overcharge from my account.  My financial institution (Wachovia) responded that I must wait for 3 days until the amount in question ($25.08) is posted to my account before I can dispute the charge.

Wachovia also stated if Coleman does not send them the necessary documentation, Wachovia will supposedly remove the hold and re-credit the disputed amount to my account.

This is not the first time an issue of this type has occurred relevant to an on-line purchase.  On a prior occasion (less than 5 months ago) I discovered a company from whom I made an on-line purchase had placed 2 identical holds on my account for the exact same transaction.

To resolve that problem required an unnecessary trip to a local Wachovia branch to speak with a customer service representative and have them remove the 2nd unauthorized charge from my account.  (All because the Wachovia representative I initially spoke with by phone claimed she could do nothing...but that is another story in itself!).

I strongly advise everyone making on-line purchases to review your financial account(s) immediately after making a purchase to ensure the amount of the "hold" placed on your account matches the total cost of the order shown on your receipt!

IF...and WHEN this issue is resolved satisfactorily, I will provide an update here.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/13/2010 05:03 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-Coleman-Company/internet/The-Coleman-Company-Ordered-lantern-replacement-tubes-for-total-price-of-2408-Coleman-569196. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Coleman Company