Complaint Review: The Discovery House

• Updated: Sun, March 18, 2012

• Reported By: BJ — Wallace Idaho United States of America
The Discovery House
6975 Enfield Avenue Reseda, California United States of America

The Discovery House M. McKay Greedy, preys on the very people they are meant to help, elder abuse Reseda, California

*Consumer Comment: Discovery House Resident

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: The Discovery House focuses on individualized care that supports long term recovery for their clients.

I am filing this report on behalf of my 84-year-old father. Last August he signed my brother up at the Discovery House, which is a rehab facility. At the time, McKay, (who is in charge there) had my father deposit $8000.00 (a contract which covered a three month stay) directly from his IRA account into her account with Discovery House. My brother wanted to sign up for one month at time because he had a court date just four weeks in the future. A court date which would most likely put him in jail to serve time.

McKay insisted that my father enroll my brother for a full three months anyway. The money came out of his and mom's retirement money. He was desperate to get help for my brother so he forked over the $8000.00, believing that if my brother would not be returning to the Discovery House, he would get at least part of the money refunded.

Sure enough, my brother had his court date one month from the time he enrolled at Discovery House. He served his jail time and has been caring for my parents since his release. He is fully rehabilitated and is doing well. My father has given up on trying to get any money back from McKay at the Discovery House. When he asked if she would refund anything to him she called him, "rude"! My mother has suffered a stroke in the past month and I am now the voice for my parents.

It would be only right for Mckay to refund my father at least $5000.00. This is an organization that is supposed to help people get on with their lives, yet they behave like vultures; preying on the weak and old. It is a shame and I will not stop in my goal to expose them!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/18/2012 09:29 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-Discovery-House/Reseda-California-91335/The-Discovery-House-M-McKay-Greedy-preys-on-the-very-people-they-are-meant-to-help-elde-855821. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Discovery House

Discovery House Resident

AUTHOR: David_Barmore - ()

In 2011 I was a live-in resident/patient at the Discovery House, so I thought my input may be of some value to those checking up on the treatment center. I was kicked out of the Discovery House for drinking. However, even though I was asked to leave I still hold a healthy respect for the professionalism and dedication to recovery the program had.

I remember McKay and Tom as being professional and very much into helping people. Yes, they like money and will charge you for your treatment, but who doesn’t like money. The bottom line here is that they offer a good product at a good price; don’t be discouraged by one or two bad reports – can’t make everyone happy.

I am now 2 years sober and work for a treatment center; The Discovery House was a building block towards my sobriety.

-David Barmore

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

AUTHOR: The Discovery House - ()

The Discovery House offers 30, 60, and 90 day residential treatment for drug or alcohol addiction. We offer a program that is individualized to each patient and the length of stay is usually determined between the patient and counselor.

We are dedicated to our clients and helping them find long term recovery.  Our goal is to give our clients the right tools and best possible chance at successfully overcoming their addictions and living a long and healthy life.