Complaint Review: The Fireplace Doctor

• Submitted: Fri, August 17, 2012
  • Updated: Fri, August 17, 2012

• Reported By: M in TN — Columbia Tennessee United States of America
The Fireplace Doctor

The Fireplace Doctor Fireplace Doctor Visit from Fireplace Doctor in Nashville TN area - totally rip off! Internet

I live in Columbia, TN.  Last Saturday someone came out to inspect our chimney.  I have to say that the technician seemed nice.  However, I question his training.  He either needs retraining or your company is quite dishonest in the way it operates and intentially tried to sell me numerous items and services I did not need.  I received two quotes from the technician.  One was for $1396 and one for $1700+ depending on which type damper we chose.

The fireplace in our home had never been used by the previous owners  and  the house was built in 1994 (I really just wanted a cap installed) so I thought it was very odd that the damper needed to be replaced.   Because this made me feel uneasy, before scheduling the work with The Fireplace Doctor I contacted a local Chimney Sweep and requested an inspection and quote to make any necessary repairs.

The local guy claimed my damper was in "excellent working order" and did not need to be replaced.  At the end, I got quoted $225 to make repairs to flue, cracked concrete resurfacing, and attaching the cap.  The sweep actually said The Fireplace Doctor and Ash Busters seem to think a service call is Christmas for the chimney sweep.  I would not recommend using TFD to anyone, nor will I ever use you again.

I do not understand how there can be such a disparity between what you wanted to charge and what another chimney sweep said was wrong.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/17/2012 09:28 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-Fireplace-Doctor/internet/The-Fireplace-Doctor-Fireplace-Doctor-Visit-from-Fireplace-Doctor-in-Nashville-TN-area-t-928599. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Fireplace Doctor