Complaint Review: The Geo Group Abraxas Academy

• Updated: Sun, March 02, 2014

• Reported By: Contemplation — Reading Pennsylvania
The Geo Group Abraxas Academy
1000 Academy Drive Morgantown, Pennsylvania USA

The Geo Group Abraxas Academy Inhumane Treatment to Employess, Scandals Covered Up, and Cash for Kids Morgantown Pennsylvania

*General Comment: Pray

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Par For The Course

*UPDATE Employee: McCaskey Sad

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Sad.. but true.

*UPDATE Employee: Simply not true

Dear Fellow Geo Management and Direct Adminstrators that work in Adminstration in Abraxas Academy,

I would like to state that many of the reports about Abraxas through this website are not false, yet true accounts of what is exactly taking place and they continue to be overlooked and coverups being made.  Let's start from the bottom of the foundation here at Abraxas Academy.  Our Adminstration Department is corrupt and unethical which has created a hostile work environment and poor staff morale.  We continue to say that we are a Sanctuary Model facility yet no one in Admin models those behaviors.

Now we have Mr. Rob Monzon resigning which is best for him so he isn't associated with such a scandolous facilty.  In his place we have Daniel Stringfellow who is interum Director, now what is going on?  I guess anyone is able to be the leader of this facility.  Then one day we come into the facilty and a Mr. Steve Brown is now in charge.  Since him coming abroard our team he's created so much anamosity, high levels of anxieties to operations, direct care staff and down to the clinical department.

He has made racial comments that have been reported to HR for his aggressive demeanor and unapproachable personality.  He thinks that since his brother married a black woman that it is okay for him to make racial remarks about Black people like that of different rap songs and saying "I'm not racist, my brother's wife is black" to ensure that its okay for him to say uncomfortable remarks.  Depsite my White ethnicity I took offense to these remarks like any person with common sence would.

I felt that he made all White people look bad and I do not want to associate myself with such ignorance.  He has unpractical ways of communicating with staff.  He is extremely confrontational and does not like to be found in the wrong.  He has one way conversations and lacks vision and communication skills.  He uses intimidation to get what he wants.  But who am I to say anything right?

Recuitment is by a professional known exotic dancer who owns her own business and drives a car that says "Go Gurlz".  Now in the Employee Handbook states that on page 17 that an employee must not obtain other employment that creates a conflict of interst or bring disrespect to GEO or clients.  So how is this so that Ginelle Ophelia can have an open Facebook and Instagram account that depicts her showcase as an exotic dancer? This is what GEO stands for?  Its open knowledge that she is a dancer and at times comes into work looking like a hard nights of work from the evening before.

But GEO does not care about its employees at all for instance this WEATHER situation and GEO"s lack of empathy for those who are PARENTS and SINGLE PARENTS AT THAT! You have sent a message stating; I do not care about your personal affairs just ensure that you come to work even if its at the cost of an accident and not having child care covered.  The reason why there is a high turnover rate because this building or GEO is not family friendly!  If I would have known that prior to coming aboard I would not have taken the job.

HR is a practical joke here at Abraxas.  No one feels comfortable talking to Mr. William Powers because he is part of the cover up and bias as well.  In order to get things heard you have to speak to the higher ups.  When an entire building feels the same way then that is a problem and it should be investigated and changes made.

We sit in meetings talking about boundaries and professionalism but Abraxas has no boundaries and lacks professionalism.  We have all of these on the job love affairs from Treatment supervisors to other Treatment Superviors.  Then we have Senior Treatment Supervisors dating Supervisors.  All departments from medical, treatment, and detention and even Adminstration are all Sexually Involved with each other.

What happened to not having married or dating people work within the same program?  We have Leah Knott and her wife Aisha Khan working hand in hand.  We have Tiffany Jacobs and her paramour Lucy Ebersole working in treatment.  We have Ryan Gaither STS dating Ms. Grove in Administration.  You have Douglas Lewis dating nurse Samantha Clark and so on and so on.

This is such a lawsuit waiting to happen when relationships go all so bad. But to top it off like other articles written prior to this about staff messing with kids; its sad to report that many of us reported these suspicisions yet no one did a thing.  Philadelphia County was right with stopping intakes because it is in the best interest of the residents.  Maryland should have done the same but I guess they have no integrity and want people to take their unwanted youth.  What a disservice and level of neglect.

Yet the crazy thing is that we still have staff currently employed who have poor boundaries like that of Ms. May Jo Sloan.  We were informed there is not enough evidence to terminate her employment but more than enough DAFs and Sup cons and concerns reported.  Crazy how Jody George left Abraxas to be in a relationship with a Maryland resident... reminder this was brought to the attention of HR William Powers, Program Manager Brenton Olejack, former STS Curtis Cannon, and Clinical Director Rhonda Stewart.

Detention youth are lacking hygiene supplies which is concerning.  Why don't they have daily hygine and clothing needed while in program?  Counties are paying a high per diem rate for their residents who are not getting quality care.

Let's talk about why everyone is being forced to pick up extra shifts because of the high turnover rate which goes back to not being family friendly and lack of care for employees personal life and disregard for compensating those employees who work over and beyond daily without STOT but will pay STOT to be a direct line staff.  They do not respect or appreciate employees who put in 12 hours a day without additional compensation.

Things need to change and I made the first change by leaving Abraxas because I could not associate my name or career with this company any longer...

Word to the wise Do not work at this facility... Full of Scams!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/02/2014 05:22 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-Geo-Group-Abraxas-Academy/Morgantown-Pennsylvania-19543/The-Geo-Group-Abraxas-Academy-Inhumane-Treatment-to-Employess-Scandals-Covered-Up-and-C-1127713. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Geo Group Abraxas Academy

#1 General Comment

Pray

AUTHOR: Pray - ()

I feel sorry for the people who sat behind a computer screen and wrote these post. Do you feel better about yourself? You have the audacity to go to work everyday and smile in the faces of those you cowardly 'embarrassed' online. I believe you are the embarrassment. All you are demonstrating is your multiple weaknesses and insecurities. You're a bully and you work with kids? You have a lot of hate and anger pent up inside of you. I think you need someone to pray for you. I will be that someone. Good luck to you because with this kind of amosite in your heart you are going to need all the help you can get.

#2 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Par For The Course

AUTHOR: Rob - ()

Greetings to the person who chose to give such an in depth insight to who I am. This is Rob Monzon. You truly confirm that my choice to leave so I could improve the quality of my and my family's lives is the best thing I could do. If you wanted to give an accurate account of who I am you could have contacted me directly and I would have helped your cowardly ass get it right. Since you seem to have missed a couple of things let me expand on your "attempt" to enlighten the world about me.

First, leaving the Academy had nothing to do with running away because there is nothing to run away from (except the small group of contradictory people who perpetuate a toxic work environment because they are too weak to work through issues directly). I came there to accomplish a few things. The first was to a start detention and shelter programs so the population that was served at the Academy could be more diverse. As I am quite sure you already know Mr/Miss/Ms./Mrs. Big Brain, the habitual population is the most challenginig and potentially violent population in the juvenile justice field. Prior to my arrival that 36 resident population was running through our and visiting staff as they created a jail house mentality. To date, the facility doubled in size and with all the improvement that can still be made, the detention/shelter prrograms continue to be sought after by various customers in the central PA region.

Secondly, I was asked to improve the damaged image of a program, in a company, who is portrayed as being to controlling in the way they work with youth and not reflective of the population they serve. I WALK away knowing that relationships and levels of trust from customers across the board have improved over the last two and a half years that I have been Director. By no means do I want credit for it because there were many people who implemented changes in philosophy after the leadership shared the direction. But I can say that the program is seen as a transparent program of integrity by DPW.

Lastly, I was asked to support the enhancement of the quality programs that the Academy provides. Again, there are many creative and committed people at the Academy that made these improvements happen but I am proud that I worked very hard at encouraging and providing the resources needed to provide great services to the youth. I just hope that those who worked to create the improvements felt supported and know that I appreciated them.

I could play this game all day, but I am choosing to just clarify that I have nothing to run from in my decision to resign my position. As far as my coaching career goes, I do that for the kids in the community that I grew up in when no one else wanted to. The true impact of my contributions to my community will be measured by the quality of man that comes from the program. I believe that as their character and mental toughness grow with their knowledge of the game, they will be proud of who they are and will experience success. That is why I am not run out of Lancaster you half informed, shallow ass. If YOU want to further debate these topics feel free to contact me in person. The cell number on my business card won't change so please do. My guess is you won't because the only way you can feel couragious is by giving partial information in an anonomous manner. If you are scared say you are scared. After tomorrow I won't be your boss so feel free. If I never was your boss and you never came to me then, you are a bigger punk than I thought.....which would be par for the course.

To all of those who supported me, the mission of the program, and most importantly the kids, thank you and I wish you the best of luck. To the smaller group who chose to foster the toxic environment that was given the energy needed to create a collective disturbance, find another career because your bullshit effects the kids.

Truthfully Yours,

Rob Monzon

McCaskey Sad

AUTHOR: McCaskey Sad - ()

Clearly this has become about Rob Monzon and I wanna point out the obvious.  Winners win and losers lose.  After a couple bad seasons Coach Monzon could not manage to win a single football game as McCaskey head coach this past year.  His record is 0 - 10.  I'm not talkin close games.  I'm talking ridiculous beat downs.   Look up McCaskey football on google and you'll see.  He was playing checkers and eating fudge pops while the other coaches was playing chess.  I’m not sure how he can even show his face here in Lancaster without being chased out of the city.  Point being Rob Monzon is a loser and he is doing what losers do.  Now he left his day job and since he is the countrys most incompetant football coach I don’t know what he thinks he’s gonna  go do now.  Maybe he should be a weatherman since they wrong all the time and no one seems to mind.  That seems like a job where he might make it and give our kids who hope to get a football scholarship a chance.  Our community deserve better and I doubt the people he used to work with will miss the constant failure.  Hey Coach Monzon somewhere a village is missing its idiot.  Time for you to go home.

#4 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Sad.. but true.

AUTHOR: Observer - ()

The claims made above, however void of articulation and/or clear grammar and relevant vocabularly, are true. I congratulate the individuals who were brave enough to come forward and painstakingly express their concerns. To the individual who posted impressively detailed reports both in October and july of last year; kudos. You had clearly taken the initiative to research and rather efficiently articulate your own concerns pertaining to the facility. The individual who had "followed-up" on last weeks report, is clearly one propelled by the unspoken politicial undertoe present here.

I will approach the topic of the company's "recruiter" with caution. While the dirty details of that individuals life were presented in an emabarassing and laughable manner, they are tough to deny. That particular individual needs no help in having their shortcomings exposed. They do a of good enough job on their own displaying just how unprofessional they are. (Yes, even if splayed over a tacky license plate) In other words, I believe we all can agree that any respectable person considering employment with Abraxas Academy would find the complany's first contact person (exposed tatoos, cheap provocative clothing, and public displays of clubbing and escort activity), disgusting, unprofessional, and rather questionable of the individuals responsible for choosing to represent their company that way. But then, what do we know? We are only human service professionals with actual experience and academic degrees from highly reputable colleges. The hierarchy of Abraxas apparently goes in order of least educated and/or experienced..all the way down to.. most? yes. that's right.

The aforementioned individual who'd initially posted in October 13', mentioned cronyism, and the appointing of those in positions of authority under this principle philosophy. I could not have relayed this better as it is by far the most appropriate description of the hiring process into the most desred positions. There are virtually 5 individuals within the entire facility including 1 supervisor, 1 STS, and 3 YDS's (2 of whom are on 3rd shift), who actually preform their duties. I used to be one of those individuals. After recieving zero incentive to continue after 4 years of service,I'd determined the rewards of serving our population were simply insufficient when weighed against the lack of recognition present from my superiors. Afterall, we should get what we give.

Ultimately, the staff at Abraxas is morphing into a reflection of what the company has created. Treat your employees poorly, and the result will be a group of unqualified, inconsisitent, disrespectful team members. Hanging on are the few dedicated employees exhausted with picking up slack, and on the verge of walking out. This is in fact the case of the superiior mentioned in both the previous post, and rebuttle. No, this person was not leaving because they DID their job correctly. This person is leaving because after having done an excellent job with no recognition and support, he was forced to sacrifice his integrity and surrender to an already losing battle. So while a valiant attempt to defend the company's consistly poor reputation; the majority of us with tenure, recognize it for what it is.

Simply not true

AUTHOR: Common Sense - ()

I take personal offense to the way the people who work at our program are characterized in this utterly irresponsible statement.  The overwhelming majority of the people at our facility are very good people who are honest and highly committed.  Working with juvenile delinquents is an extremely challenging job, and I am deeply offended when I see someone anonymously trying to smear the reputations of those who give their blood, sweat, and tears to try to make a difference in young people's lives.

To the person who wrote this, guess what?  Sometimes people have to be held accountable when they do a bad job.  I know that hurts your feelings, but I know who you are, and you need to grow up.  What you are distorting the truth about is exactly what YOU are guilty of.  Do you have no shame?  Do you not see how hard people are working night and day to help kids whose families, schools, and the courts have fallen short of being able to save?  Does that mean nothing to you?  Do you only see this website as a vehicle to try to get revenge and make yourself feel better?  That is not what it is intended for.

I could tell the world a few hundred, if not a thousand, stories of great people who made a difference in kids lives at this program.  Do we fall short sometimes?  Do we occassionally have someone on our team who falls short?  Of course we do, but that's not the norm, that's the exception.  You focus only on the negative, and weave it with lies and distortion.

We are undergoing changes, and I for one am glad.  The current Director isn't leaving because he did a good job.  I'm sorry, there's just no nice way to say it.  I am glad that he appears to be leaving on good terms, maybe he was offered the opportunity to leave before he was fired, I don't know.  Frankly I hope he takes his "right hand" with him, because she is the one who is chaotic and dysfunctional.  Everyone knows who I am talking about, and I don't have to disparage good people with lies to make that point.

My message is simple.  If you don't have the professional courage to work out your differences with others in an open and constructive manner, you are simply a subversive and hateful person.  Our work is too important for your ridiculous pettiness.  Young lives hang in the balance, and your cowardice is simply not helpful.  If you can't wrap your head around that, please do us all a favor and go find a different line of work.

Those of you who give your all every day doing some of the most important work that there is to do in this country, please keep up the excellent work.  I know there are a lot of young people at the program who appreciate it and who are counting on you.  The good fight is worth fighting, and your efforts do not go unnoticed.