Complaint Review: The Hartz Mountain Corporation

• Updated: Wed, March 17, 2010

• Reported By: Melanie — Myrtle Beach South Carolina United States of America
The Hartz Mountain Corporation
400 Plaza Dr Internet United States of America

The Hartz Mountain Corporation Hartz Crunch N' Clean Chew Bone With Dentashield caused severe illness to my 2 dogs. Internet

DO NOT FEED THIS CHEW TO YOUR DOG: Hartz Crunch N' Clean Chew Bone With Dentashield (photo of product will be posted)

In June 2009, I gave two of my four dogs a Hartz Crunch N' Clean Chew Bone. Macon ate all of his Chew, but Shadow only ate a small portion of hers. I picked hers up and tried to give it to her again the next day and then the next... she still didn't want it. So, on the third day, I gave the rest of Shadow's bone to Macon since he liked it. Anyway, later that night... Macon became violently ill with Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (which is usually fatal if not treated in time). It causes bloody/mucousy/explosive diarrhea, lethargy, occasional vomiting, inappetence and rapid dehydration.

I brought him to the animal emergency hospital where he was put on IV fluids and medication. I picked him up the next morning, paid the $601 bill and was told to bring him to my regular vet for further treatment and medication. [continued below]....

..... I did exactly that and they told me that they wanted to hospitalize him for the rest of the day. I declined further hospitalization and opted to take him home with some medication and instructions. I paid their $68.15 bill, filled his medications at Walmart for $20.99 and took him home where he did well.  A week and a half later, he was back to his old self. Anyway, during that week, I noticed that Shadow also got a small touch of the bloody/mucousy diarrhea. I started wondering what the hell was going on. The only thing I could put my finger on was those damn Chews!

First, the 2 dogs that didn't have the Chews were fine. Second, Macon was much sicker than Shadow... probably because he ate 1 3/4 bones over 3 days while Shadow only ate 1/4. It was as if the extent of each of their illnesses was proportional to the amount of the Chew they ate. In addition, I did not change any of their food that week. I have bought the same food for the last 10 years--Pedigree small crunchy bites--and it is the only food my dogs eat.  So, the only change in their diet was those Hartz Chews! I do not think for one minute that it was a coincidence that the two dogs that had the Chews are the two dogs that got sick. Do you?

The whole ordeal cost me $690.14, but it could've cost me Macon's life! He was only 1 1/2 yrs old when this happened on 6/13/09... he was just a baby. I have since reported this to the company and they have refused to accept any responsibility!  If Hartz will not reimburse me the $690.14 I believe they cost me, I will continue to tell my story.  If doing so costs Hartz at least that much in sales, then our ordeal will not have been in vain.  I just don't want another pet owner or pet to go through what me, Macon & Shadow did.  Thank you for listening to my story and please keep your pets safe!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/17/2010 09:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/The-Hartz-Mountain-Corporation/internet/The-Hartz-Mountain-Corporation-Hartz-Crunch-N-Clean-Chew-Bone-With-Dentashield-caused-se-582327. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on The Hartz Mountain Corporation